“Didn't hit expectations”

Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
Reviewed 29 July 2012

A beautiful imposing hotel on arrival, check in went pretty smoothly & room was fine apart from a very creaky bed. Room was very hot but they had provided fans It wasn't a warm day outside either .Ate in the Nick Nairn restaurant and it was okay but not up to my expectations, they forgot my potato's also, and when I asked for them the girl snapped "there coming". Was very disapointed in the food. The pool is of pretty poor standard. We stayed here for one night to split up a long journey & actually wished I hadn't wasted my money. I must say that the breakfast was very nice though. Wish I had just went to Hilton Strathclyde for £150 instead of Dunblanes £250 :(

1  Thank Queenascots
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel and will relay your comments to the relevant departments so we may improve our service. I am glad to read, however, that you enjoyed our famous DoubleTree breakfast!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,147)

Reviewed 29 July 2012

This is a very grand hotel when looking at it from outside, very quick check in. Lovely room we had a double deluxe with a fold away bed for my daughter which still left plenty of room. Bed seemed very hard and a bit uncomfortable. Downside to hotel is the leisure facilities, very damp & cold changing rooms. Cubicles have dampness on walls a complete opposite from grandeur of hotel. Pool good size, went into steam room and door surround rotting away. Leisure facilities certainly in need of refurbishment! Would come back to hotel if pool area was upgraded.

1  Thank Carb08

A planned major development of the Health Club has been proposed and we, too, are aware of the need to update some areas in advance of this and your comments will help us to prioritise this work.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

My wife and I had a very nice time at Dunblane Hydro. Booked the offer with dinner bed and breakfast. Smooth check in and both of us given a large, warm cookie!!. We were on the 3rd floor of the annexe. Our room was well furnished, very clean and comfortable. All usual mod cons, large LCD TV, mini bar (be careful!) and very nice bathroom with power shower.

We ate in the Kailyard restaurant which had been set up with Nick Nairn. Food, wine and servicefrom young and attentive staff excellent. Had a nice sleep and whilst 2 weddings on in the hotel we found our room to be very quiet. Bed mattress was firm but this really suited us. Had a very nice sleep. Nice breakfast in the morning with all needs catered for.

We are always quite fussy about where we stay but have no hesitation in recommending this hotel. 5/5. Thanks.

PS cracking wee pub in the village called the Tappit Hen. Well priced drinks, friendly staff and locals.Only 5 mins walk from the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dmax66

So glad to read you found everything to your taste and that you were well looked after by our staff, thank you for your feedback

Reviewed 26 July 2012

Stayed twice at this hotel and was delighted by both stays . The service given was excellent and the rooms very spacious and comfortable.

I was on sqa business in Stirling and would recommend staying here- only a six minute journey by car.

What a great hotel!!

Room Tip: Must stay him
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Patrick M
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I treated my bf to dinner, bed and breakfast here for his birthday. The location is gorgeous, the staff were friendly and helpful. The food was beautiful and plentiful. The allowance per person from the menu included in the deal was adequate although it does not include drinks. The room was standard, located in a long, now grubby corridor, the toilet didn't flush properly and even after it was "fixed" remained the same. There was no bottled water apart from in the minibar, which was locked in our room. We received a cookie on arrival although a biscuit with our coffee in the room would have been nice. The spa is located in a separate building and is also a little grubby, it's not very luxurious as I expect in a hydro hotel. Predictably the drinks were over priced. All in all we had a lovely relaxing time, but overpriced.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Kolakube70

We do feel that our pricing structure reflects the quality of food offered and relates well to prices charged in similar hotels; however your comments have been shared with the management team. I am glad to read that overall you had a relaxing stay.

Reviewed 24 July 2012

I am a loyal Hilton HHonors member but was disappointed with my stay at this hotel on July 7th.

I chose the hotel as accommodation for my family who were attending the ‘T in the Park’ music festival (there were plenty of others that were closer). When I arrived around 1pm there were not one but two weddings in progress at the hotel, as a result the reception, bar and public areas were full of what I would estimate to be two to three hundred guests, and the noise was deafening.

Only one of my two rooms was ready and I had to revisit reception three times for the other, despite a promise that I would receive a telephone call when the other was ready. I had planned to have lunch at the bar, but it was still full of the wedding guests. The bar itself is not the biggest to begin with, and I noticed that the hotel even used the public hallways for champagne receptions, not ideal when you are struggling to your room with luggage.

The room itself was also underwhelming and had not been adequately prepared. The document holder that should have contained hotel and local information was virtually empty, and the coffee tray contained only one cup, whereas there were three people in the room. When I tried to use the iron board it collapsed, almost taking my toe off, and the iron leaked water over the clothes I was ironing, both necessitating a phone call to reception.

Whilst the ‘main house’ looks stunning, my rooms were in an annex, and looked more like a motel. The hallways carpet was filthy and for the duration of my stay there was a laundry cart in the hallway.

Having collected my family from the festival, I arrived back at the hotel just after midnight, and was looking to have a drink and a snack in the bar. I was amazed to be informed that all that could be offered was the sandwich menu, all cold and only the fillings that were in the menu, as there was no staff in the kitchen. I have stayed in Hiltons all over the world and this was the first time I had come across this. I could not believe that a Hilton could not produce a plain chicken sandwich for my daughter. Perhaps the hotel should ditch the celebrity chef it sees so proud of and go back to basics.

I also should mention that by this time the bar was still full of the wedding guests, totally intoxicated and obnoxious, and was not a welcoming atmosphere for me, let alone my teenage daughter and her friend or their mothers.

The next day, having dropped my guests at the music festival I returned to the hotel for lunch, only to find it full with yet another wedding, and again no space at the bar because of all the guests. My plans of having a relaxed lunch were destroyed, and I found myself eating at the ‘Little Chef’ on the A9.

In my opinion if the hotel wants to make a business based on weddings, it should not do so at the expense of normal guests, at the very least it should make the situation known so that guests such as myself can decided whether or (more likely) not to stay there.

It seemed to me that the hotel was more focused on the wedding parties than the paying guests.

3  Thank blairk2
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a two day stay at Doubletree. O.K we booked late and put into the 'West Wing'. The only view was the car park with guests coming and going, wandering past our room until the early hours. A wedding held on one night didn't disturb us, but the wedding guests were banging up and down the corridor most of the night (the last disturbance being 3.30 a.m.) I know large hotels have to make their money from functions, but not at the expense or comfort of other paying guests. Othewrwise the staff were great, food good and the room was clean, although a little small. The original building is stunning, but the West Wing is the poor relation.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank David C

You will appreciate that in a large and busy hotel like ours, there are have many parties and functions, but I am sorry that this impinged on your enjoyment. Please ask for a room in the main building next time you come to visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunblane
Old Churches House Hotel
The Stirling Highland Hotel
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bridge of Allan

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!