“A stay of two halves”

Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
Reviewed 25 October 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed for two nights on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal. The price we paid was good value overall.

We thought the hotel was in a lovely setting and the exterior was very impressive. Our room was fine but very small. I think some might find it a tight squeeze. Completely adequate though especially considering what we paid.

I have seen some poor reviews of the gym/swimming pool. I thought it was absolutely fine and fitted our purposes.

Our first night the service wasn't great. We waited around 20 minutes at the bar before someone took our order. They had run out of a few things we asked for and some of the staff just stood about ignoring customers. It was very so so.

The second night the service was fantastic and we couldn't have faulted anything, I think the previous night must have just been very busy.

More than two nights would have been too long as there isn't a huge amount to do but overall it was an enjoyable break.

• Stayed: October 2012
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2012

The hotel was built in the late 19th century and despite many refurbishments it has not been possible to change the size or configurations of the rooms, giving us a range of rooms of varying styles and sizes. All in all, you had an enjoyable break, thank you for your feedback.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,107)

Reviewed 24 October 2012

Checked in at 4pm and discovered enhanced stay package (champagne, chocolates, card, dressing gown and slippers) was not laid on in the room for my mothers 65th birthday, I had to chase this up on several occasions and it was never complete even at end of our stay. Very disappointed.
Reservation payment was inaccurate - I paid in full before arrival and was told I had underpaid. Had to email my confirmation and bank payment details to support this at 11pm at night to night manager.
Dinner on both nights was a complete nightmare - average wait time an hour plus. Served prosecco to compensate. Ensured the next night dining would be improved (for mothers 65th birthday) - was worse. Three wrong meals served, hour wait again between courses, complimentary prosecco served (one glass) complained to duty manager who was unhelpful. I am pregnant and on mediation and in the end had to eat chips! Absolute disgrace with staff not knowing correct order, checking with kitchen and not relaying information back to our table, passing off salad cream as houmous. Not the dining experience we signed up for, complete let down.
Staff seeming unaware of our situation and disappointment and not accepting any genuine concern for our situation, no accountability from anyone.
Check out was awful - we had to 'barter' and 'haggle' for a discount of our meals as dining was inadequate. Couldn't speak to duty manager directly and staff from previous night were not on shift so previous requests were not honoured. All this in front of our mother who was upset about the whole stay as it was a fiasco from start to finish.
Eventually our refund was given as a gesture of 'goodwill' which I found laughable. As we departed a number of very unhappy guests were queuing to check out and had the same fight on their hands, one woman quoted 'it's our turn to haggle now.' Another family with young sons never received their meals until 10.30pm and had dessert sent to their room, another male guest had his complimentary glass of prosecco poured all over him as he waited for his overdue dinner. How ironic!
The hotel then had the cheek to send a generic email asking to complete a survey on the service we received. Gladly!
So we received a warm cookie on arrival - that's the least of their worries!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank CRH1604

I am very disappointed and frustrated to read your feedback, along with your sisters’ below. It is quite clear that our standard excellent customer service was not in place whilst you were here. We are investigating why so many things went wrong for you, and would like to extend, once again, our most sincere apologies. We not only failed to provide the level of service which we try to offer at all times but did not take the opportunity we had to ensure that your complaints were acted upon while you were still here.

Reviewed 23 October 2012

My sister and I booked a couple of nights in this hotel as a special birthday treat for my mum as it was a special birthday. My mum looked so forward to it, but sadly she was literally in tears by the time we left. We carefully selected the hotel as it looked stunning online and I travelled over 200 miles to get there. The location of the hotel is stunning, but the level of service was appalling. I ordered chocolates, robes, slippers and a birthday card for the room on arrival for my mum, and I'm still waiting on the chocolates and slippers and only received the card the next day after hastening. We waited over an hour for each course at dinner on the first night and were promised we'd be better looked after the second night. Not a chance! It was shocking. We waited 10 mins to be shown to a table and again waited over an hour per course. My sister who was pregnant was served the wrong meal 3 times in a row and in the end gave up and ate only some chips. We spoke to the duty manager at least 3 times and to top it off the reception said we hadn't paid the right amount for our bill, when we had already paid the full amount in advance of our stay. She was still sorting this out at 11pm having to show bank statements and show emails to confirm. We then had to explain it all again at reception on checkout. By this time my mum was in tears. Some birthday treat. My mum will never get her birthday back and we are all so gutted. Never again, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone!

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank MummyDScotland

We are really disappointed to read about the lack of basic standards of customer care you and your family experienced. As I have said also to your sister above, this incident is being fully investigated. We strive for excellence in customer service and it does seem to have slipped on this occasion. Please accept our sincere apologies for these shortcomings.

Reviewed 19 October 2012

Stayed for one night, due to reduced rate we managed to get. As its the school holidays, hotel was busy and lively!
Check in was a breeze(the blonde lady was very pleasant and courteous), warm cookies were a treat on a wet cold day.
Room was quite small, but clean fresh and the rooms from the 4th floor view over dunblane are spectacular! Bathroom was clean and modern....

Breakfast was very busy and we had a wait for a table at the time we went down - but worth the wait! Buffet was well stocked and catered for every taste - one thing I would say is we were not offered tea/coffee but as the staff were so busy, it was not too big a deal.

Alot of the below reviews are quite negative, but we have to say our stay was enjoyable and I can be fussy! Go see for yourself....

Room Tip: Ask for the front of the old building, 4th floor
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

Thank you for your feedback, we are very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and our welcome as warm as we wish it to be. We too, love the deluxe rooms on the fourth floor with stunning views over the grounds of the hotel….

Reviewed 17 October 2012

We had a voucher for afternoon tea. It was absoluty beautiful, lovely fresh quality sandwiches homemade scones and Victoria sandwich with fresh cream and jam. The staff were very friendly and attentive. We would highly recommend a visit.

Room Tip: Dumblane is a lovely place well worth a stroll around
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2012

Thank you for your charming feedback; I will certainly share this with the hotel team and hope you will come back again soon for more!

Reviewed 15 October 2012

building is impressive when you drive up but rooms, swimming pool and public areas poorly maintained. Glad we didn't pay full rate. Nowhere to sit in the evening due to lounge area being used as an extra dining room. Is that not what the function rooms are for?
In dire need of a paint and a clean.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank gordon12
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Thank you for your feedback; I am sure you can imagine that a large hotel such as this does have a continuous maintenance programme in place. Your comments will of course be forwarded to the relevant department for their attention.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

We spent two nights at the Doubletree Hydro, Dunblane in October 2012. It was an impressive looking place in beautiful surroundings. We booked a junior suite which was lovely, very clean and modern. The hotel was stunning on the inside as well.
We had a meal in the restaurant the first night and although reasonably priced, the portion sizes wasn't great. Service took some time but it was busy.
The second day we had lunch and supper from the lounge bar menu which was so much better, more informal, great price, service and food. I would recommend eating here instead. The staff were all really friendly and helpful, especially in lounge bar.
There was a wedding going on which seemed to dominate the place but the lounge bar staff went out of their way to attend to the other customers very well.

It was expensive but we expected that and it was a treat.

Not much going on in immediate local area.
I loved it here and when i save my pennies up , i will definitely go back again.

1  Thank Alison B

Thank you for your feedback; I have passed your comments to the departments involved , its lovely to read that you enjoyed yourself so much and our staff were their usual friendly helpful selves. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunblane
Old Churches House Hotel
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bridge of Allan
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!