“The cookies and the service are remarkable.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro

Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
Queenstown, Otago, New Zealand
“The cookies and the service are remarkable.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

Let me start by saying .... I sometimes think that reviewers " miss the whole point of tripadvisor ". I am myself a hotelier and yes - we all seek feedback and comments that will allow us to improve both our operational procedures and enable us to exceed our guests expectations, striving for perfection each and every time.
Sometimes we get it right ... and sometimes we miss the mark , but I think after reading some of the reviewer’s recent comments - clearly nothing would make these guests happy. But I commend you for trying.
Let me share with you all - my recent " Doubletree by Hilton - Dunblane " experience.
I arrived after a very long drive from the Isle of Skye, at around 4pm in the afternoon, a little tired, but excited to be staying here after hearing great things. I was not disappointed! Welcomed with a genuine smile and a famous " Chocolate Chip Cookie " ( OMG ) it was just amazing. The lovely Duty Manager - offered to escort me to my room and pointed out the many features including a spa bath ( very unexpected ) and simply breath-taking views from my hotel room. In life - you need to remember a few simple rules .. “You get what you pay for " ... I recommend paying for a "Guest Room Plus " in the main hotel building. Particularly if it is a special occasion. If you pay for a standard room - let's face it ... that is what you will get.
It was my birthday - the day I arrived and I never mentioned it to the team at the time. Somehow - possibly from my Hilton HHonors profile they knew and placed chocolates and a birthday card for the general manager and the team me in my room. It was a lovely touch - " Thank you all again “. I spent 3 nights here and found the room’s extremely clean and comfortable. Room service was excellent, and the breakfast was the best I experienced on my recent Scottish Holiday. I am now addicted to Cranberry Juice - thanks to you ! The front desk staff requires a special mention, they assisted and recommended things for me to see and do in the surrounding area and on my return to the hotel each evening - they would ask how my day was. Again - very genuine and thoughtful. I had a hire car and there is ample parking at the rear of the main building. If I was to offer any suggestions - it would only be to the day spa / pool team. I walked into the facility on the first evening and was not greeted by anyone, just a sign advising that the pool had been shut – which didn't concern me too much. I did however wish to book some spa treatments - but after standing at the reception for about 5 minutes with no sign of anyone - I decided to walk away and book treatments at a spa in Stirling instead. That would be my only adverse comments - because I will definitely return to Dunblane and stay with you again. The cookies and the service are remarkable.

Room Tip: I recommend paying for a "Guest Room Plus " in the main hotel building. Particularly if it...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (794)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

Spent 4 nights in the hotel. Overall, the visit was ok, but there were some factors which meant that I could not call it excellent. These were the drabness of the corridors - more like a motel than a classy hotel, the price of food and drinks in the hotel and the absence of free wi-fi. The room was ok but the bathroom was old-fashioned and the television options somewhat restrictive.

On the plus side, the aspect of the hotel was spectacular, the breakfast was very good and the reception/bar areas were pleasant,if a little small for the size of the hotel

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, 5 November 2012
It is disappointing to read that you didn’t appreciate the décor in the hotel. We do feel that our pricing structure reflects the quality of food offered and relates well to prices charged in similar hotels, but it nice to read that you enjoyed a hearty breakfast to start your day.
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed 29-31 October 2012. Upgraded to the penthouse suite which was fab. Wonderful room with fabulous views. Staff all lovely, very friendly and accomodating.
Room neede a little updating - lick of paint on woodwork and table was scuffed but these were minor things.
The only negative was that the water was not replenished after the first night and glasses were not cleaned.
On the whole great stay, would definitely return and recommend to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback, I’m pleased to read our staff were helpful and friendly. Your comments have been shared with the team and our facilities department will be checking your room to plan any necessary updates you mentioned.
Manchester, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

We booked a two night stay with a dinner, bead & breakfast rate in a plus room for the first night and a free reward night (standard room only) fo the second night. Due to a mix up with the booking agent the hotel hadn't received full details of our reservation and told us that we were 'room only'. We were told by the girl on reception that it was "impossible" to get dinner, B&B for what we'd paid even though we knew what we'd booked. Several hours later with phone calls and emails back and forth, the problem was resolved, with an apology from reception. However, we were more annoyed to see that the receptionist had been left to deal with all the guests turning up for the 4pm check-in, including us, by herself while at least four other staff members were sitting in the back office.

The plus room (215) was anything but 'plus' and although the decor was nice and modern, the bathroom was very narrow and there was a room off the bedroom that was absolutely useless. Not big enough to take a single bed, nor was it a wardrobe or dressing room but it was so well lit we thought it had been a mini operating theatre! It would have made more sense to make the bathroom larger by using this wasted space. The view out of the window would have been lovely if it wasn't blocked by the greasy finger, nose and forehead marks left by previous guests.

In Nick Nairn's restaurant most of the food was very nice, although my fish was raw in the middle, which the staff happily exchanged.

For our second night we were told that we'd have to change to a standard room so we duly packed our bags and went to reception for the new room key. We were told that due to the confusion of the previous day, we could stay in our plus room for free. We were grateful but why couldn't someone have left a note earlier in the day so we wouldn't have packed everything away for no reason?

Generally the staff are young and eager, which we liked to see, but the problem seems to be lack of competent management and this is letting the front of house staff down as they are the ones the guests deal with.

If you're going to use the pool, just be aware that after-school and weekend children's swimming lessons are held regularly but the pool is large enough to cope, just don't expect it to be quiet and relaxing!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jollygeordie
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, 2 November 2012
Sorry to hear your booking agent hadn’t forwarded your details to us in time for your arrival, this can and does lead to as much frustration for the guests as for the staff on front desk.
I am sure you are aware the hotel was built in the late 17th century and several of the rooms do have quirky “nooks and crannies” such as the one in your room... which some guests love.
The hotel has 200 rooms and is busy all week, but we do agree with you, it is generally even more so at the weekend. Thank you for this feedback which we will use as part of our commitment to improve.

Travellers are raving about these Dunblane hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

Having returned from an overnight stay for a reunion of colleagues I was thoroughly impressed with the service, food and facilities Doubletree at Dunblane-Hydro offered. A distant memory of a hotel which had seen better days was completly dismissed. The accommodation was extremely comfortable and during our evening meal the service was excellent. Staff could not have been more obliging and the food was to a high quality. The fact we were walking about the corridors dressed in Halloween costumes was fully indulged! The only slight disappointment was the lack of choice at breakfast. Overall it was a very successful stay and the atmosphere of the hotel was certainly part of the enjoyment. Thank you

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, 1 November 2012
Allow us to thank you for your impressive feedback – which has already been shared with the team. Your comments re breakfast have been noted. Glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much!
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

Gathered some tesco vouchers and decided to treat ourselves to a wkend relaxing at dunblane hydro. Looking at website it looks fairly remote and lovely-it's right in the middle of dunblane surrounded by houses so don't be under the impression you can go for country walks.

Upon arriving at the hotel we noticed there was a wedding on-which I knew there may be and was fine-but as I am 5 months pregnant and not sleeping well I asked the blonde haired girl at the reception to put us in a quiet room-she seemed a bit miffed by this and then put us in a room around the corner from the wedding. I phoned reception once in room and calmly explained this-she did not want to move our room. I can't help but wonder if we paid cash would we have been treated differently?
The second night there another wedding. Again our room was literally around the corner from the dance at night and music was heard over the television. I'm most angry at the reception staff being so rude and non accommodating. If it was my cash I was paying with I'd have refused. I've stayed in hotels ranging from £19 a night travel inns to much more up market hotels and never have we had such a cold reception.

The only positive I can give is to the chef and waiting staff! Food was too class as was their service. They really did save the wkend for us.

I really really would not recommend you go if you are to pay full rate for this hotel! Tempted to try and claim some compensation but I feel it will fall upon deaf ears. If I did not give a valid reason for needing a quieter room I'd perhaps be more forgiving but given that our trip was partly for my partners bday and also because I've been unwell with pregnancy and struggle to sleep I think it's shocking.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Clarkagogo
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, 31 October 2012
The hotel does have 200 rooms and due to the very nature of the building, it is difficult to allocate rooms on an ‘attending function’ or ‘non-attending function’ basis; but we do attempt to separate groups within the hotel. I am disappointed to read that you found our receptionist unaccommodating, I am certain that, had there been an alternative room, your request would have been applied; however the hotel was fully booked. On a more positive note, I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your restaurant experience and have forwarded your compliments to both the Chef and the waiting staff in the Kailyard. Thank you for your feedback.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

Just got back from a weekend with friends at the "Hydro" This was our first visit very impressive building and lovely surroundings with great views over Dunblane.The reception is lovely. We were in rooms at the rear of the hotel. Rooms were a decent size with everything that you need. Buffet breakfast was excellent with plenty choice and nice and hot, We walked down into Dunblane on the Saturday and took the train into Glasgow £22 return for the four of us. Arrived back to our rooms and had a housekeeping issue , went down to reception and spoke to the gentleman in charge of Concierge to say how disappointed we were. Within 15 minutes the issue was resolved and he delivered a complimentary bottle of wine to each of our rooms and was most apologetic. A big thank you to him. Would certainly go back again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, 30 October 2012
I am pleased to read that your housekeeping issue was quickly and satisfactorily resolved; and that you will come back to stay; thank you for your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunblane
Cromlix
Cromlix
#1 of 1 in Kinbuck
Old Churches House Hotel
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
The Stirling Highland Hotel
Airth Castle & Hotel
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!