“Grand old hotel with a modern twist”

Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Perfect start at check-in - warm and utterly delicious chocolate chip cookie!

We were given a room in the newer wing - the corridor was quite shabby with a lot of knocks and scuffs visible (the modern decor being painted in a fairly dark colour showed up every mark, unfortunately). Our room was very nice - lovely pictures and a feature above the bed of a backlit thistle landscape. Butt here was a big stain on the wall which was a shame. Pillows were very uncomfortable and no spare ones provided - unusual not to get a choice of pillows in the room these days.

We now come to my pet hate - free WiFi only available in the lounge areas and only for an hour (unless you are a gold or platinum hilton honours guest). Why do hotels insist on limiting WiFi when we want to speak to our children over Skype or keep in touch with our social media sites? We could be saying such lovely things about the hotel! Surely big hotel chains can afford decent WiFi that could be available for all? Rant over...

The first night (Fri) we ate in the cocktail lounge. Very good steak sandwich (too much steak for me to eat) and chips. And the best cocktails I've ever had. Yum.

Breakfast was a bit disappointing - sausages weren't the best quality, hash browns were cheap (frozen, I think), baked beans were watery and the scrambled egg was solid... But my non coffee and tea drinking hubby managed to get a very good hot chocolate with no quibbles. So we let the off! Free paper too.

Sat night we ate in Nick Nairn's restaurant - I had really been looking forward to this and we'd had to wait until 8:45 for a table. I was extremely disappointed. We waited ages for our drinks and hate to chase our water. Starters were ok - nice bit if smoked salmon - but I could not eat my main of beef bourgignon and had to swap with my husband; the taste of what I presumed was the bouquet garnet (very strong aniseed taste?) was totally overpowering. So I also ended up with salmon for my main. Mentioned this to the waiter who said he'd never eaten it himself so couldn't comment but would pass it on to the chef. The restaurant was packed so I don't think the chef will lose any sleep over it, but I had ramen my husband there for his birthday and was really disappointed.

We used the pool on Sunday morning before breakfast - very functional with nothing particularly luxurious about it. Towels provided which was good.

Staff in general all very friendly and helpful - and all Scottish : )

I liked the hotel and, in particular, the lounge areas were all very we'll furnished, warm and comfortable. If I did stay there again, I wouldn't eat in the min restaurant.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael P, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey. We are pleased you had an enjoyable stay and thank you for your feedback and comments. We are refurbishing the Striling wing corridors as well as few other hotel areas. We are please that you have enjoyed your dinner and hope to see you again very soon.
Many thanks

Write a ReviewReviews (4,156)

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I've stayed here a few times and it's always a pleasure.

The approach up the hill is amazing and the views stunning. A very majestic building which is impressive.

The staff are always pleasant and welcoming which is a really nice touch (not so much the norm nowadays).

Good comfortable rooms and nice atmosphere all round.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to complete the trip advisor survey. We are very pleased you had an enjoyable stay with us and hope to see you visiting the hotel again very soon.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

When we arrived we had to wait about 40 minutes as our room wasn't ready but as we were early that was to be expected and we explored the hotel and had a nice seat in the lounge while we waited.

When we went back to reception we were checked in with no problem.

Our room on the 2nd floor was lovely and was very quiet, as I am a light sleeper that was the most important aspect to me. It was very clean and had everything we needed.

We had called a few days ahead and booked our table for dinner for a time that suited us.

The restaurant was lovely, service was excellent, I think our waiter was Michael, he was really charming. The food was delicious and we both thoroughly enjoyed our meals.

The hotel has a lot of nice areas for sitting to have a chat and a drink, it was really relaxing after a delicious dinner.

Breakfast was also delicious, there was everything you could want to eat, hot and cold selections and plenty of staff were on hand if there was anything else needed. We went for breakfast about 7:50 and there was only one other table taken at that time.

We had afternoon tea before we left and again the staff were very attentive and the food was lovely.

We used the pool and steam room, both very nice. The changing area was very busy but an aqua class had just finished so it was just a timing thing.

The exterior of the hotel is stunning with lovely tended gardens.

All the staff we encountered were pleasant, professional and extremely helpful.

I would have no hesitation recommending the hotel and we will definitely return for another stay.

Dear Guest,
Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete the trip advisor questionnaire following your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Dunblane Hydro. It is always encouraging to hear following a guest stay and please be assured that your comments and apprecaition have been passed on the hotel team and Michael from the restaurant especialy.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

After looking for a nice hotel to spend my 50th birthday, I decided on the Doubletree Dunblane Hydro, looked great online, beautiful pictures and surroundings. Big mistake, afternoon tea was over an hour late which consisted of cold tea and coffee a couple of dried up finger sandwiches and a few cakes, abysmal. The first room they gave us was in the attic, tiny, with frosted windows and bed was jammed under a cam ceiling, so claustrophobic, we were told they would move us to the new wing with more space and king size bed, the "new" wing was tired, paint chipped off most doors, dirty dishes from room service lying in the hall and a lovely hole in the wall next to our door. The room smelled like a sour cloth, it was horrid, we couldn't sleep there. We moved again to another room slightly better but felt sorry for the people below as our floor was the noisiest I've ever walked on (and I'm 8.5 stone), the bed was dented in the middle and creaked like mad. Later we walked over to the swimming pool/gym which is in a building outwith the main building, it was small and dingy, the gym equipment was crammed against each other and the pool was tiny, decided not to bother, it certainly didn't inspire.
The only saving grace was the Nick Nairn Kailyard restaurant where the food was good, although out of the four steaks we had, which cost a £7.95 supplement each, my steak was filled with fat, the others enjoyed theirs.
Overall staff were ok but the hotel is NOT what you see on their website. Not what you would expect from a Hilton Hotel. I will remember my 50th birthday now but for all the wrong reasons. Very, very disappointed and will definitely not be returning.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, upgrade to the best they have but I don't think it would be worth the...
2  Thank petagirl

Dear Guest,
We appreciate the time and trouble you have taken to complete the trip advisor survey and to give us feedback on your recent stay in our hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced during your visit. Our afternoon tea is usually of high standard and we are very sorry for the inconsitency you have encountered. We will take the time to review your comments with the hotel team and will use your feedback as part of our on-going commitment to improve.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Although booked on discount offer still expected better. Living Well Spa was disappointment and reminded me of local swimming pool with same lockers and full of kids. On the day we visited there was no hot showers and only a cold trickle of water. Our room was uncomfortably warm although the radiator was off. Opened window to find chewing gum on sill! No view from room as window was frosted glass. Saving grace was the excellent food.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to complete the trip advisor survey. Please accept our sincere appologies for the maintenance shortfalls you highlighted and would like to inform you that the hot water work has been done as a priority. We are please that you have enjoyed your food and beverage experience.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Not bad but not great either. Nice location but not much to do locally. Room we had was lovely but paid extra for it. Not bad view and very peaceful. Food was ok but drinks were pretty good. Friendly bar staff and efficient.

On arrival waited 20 minutes in a queue to check in. Very poor customer service, no apology no nothing. Tried to use my Hilton Honours card to check in but the desk wasn’t in service. On arrival was told the pool was out of order again very poor!

Wouldn’t have booked here had I known it wasn’t open. I know things go wrong but it’s a selling point of the place. Room was tidy and clean and a bit run down. Marks on the walls and carpets and generally needing a good clean.

Had a terrible sleep as the room was roasting all night even with the window open and radiator off. Breakfast is a complete shambles. No organisation to it at all and I’m guessing that’s down to poor management rather than the staff who were polite but clearly lacking in direction.

I travel a lot and for a Hilton DT this was a let-down. Management didn’t seem interested at all. I would go back if I got a deal but not at full price – better out there for the same price if not less.

Room Tip: Room 415 was pretty good having reviewed some of the others so go for it.. (£9 upgrade though!) Fac...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to complete the trip advisor survey. I will take the time to review your check-in experience and comments with the relevant Managers to use your feedback as part of our on-going commitment to improve. Guest feedback is important to us and as a result we are investing and renovating few hotel areas early March.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We arrived on Sat at 2pm for a booking of afternoon tea and overnight stay with friends,1st room checked into was on 4th floor with a frosted glass with no view, 2nd room offered was on the so called new wing and was smelling stale with dirty corridors,the 3rd room offered was acceptable but well below a standard from Hilton hotels. Afternoon tea was booked for 2.30pm and arrived at 3.30 pm after several complaints and was disappointing,The only positive experience was the evening meal in the Nick Nairn restaurant was very good,So i will not be returning to Dunblane Hydro in a hurry

Dear Guest,
We appreciate the time and trouble you have taken to complete the trip advisor survey and to give us feedback on your recent stay. I am very sorry that we fell short of your expectations on this special occasion. We will refurbish our Stirling Wing corridors early March and will invest on new carpets over the same period too.
Many thanks

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunblane
Old Churches House Hotel
The Stirling Highland Hotel
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bridge of Allan

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!