“This is our family Friday night "go to" spot”

Wildwood - The Old Bear
Ranked #16 of 43 Restaurants in Cobham
Price range: US$13 - US$32
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Description: Wildwood at The Old Bear is a small collection of restaurants that serves freshly prepared food. Our aim is simple: To serve great food delivered by friendly staff in a relaxed, homely environment. Whether you choose from the grill section, stone-baked pizza or our freshly prepared pastas, our passion for high quality food is the main focus throughout all of our restaurants. We have a private function room where we can cater for large groups, buffets and private meetings and also an outdoor children's play area alongside our new heated outdoor umbrellas. Look out for our exciting Christmas menu coming soon too!
Cobham, United Kingdom
“This is our family Friday night "go to" spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

The service here is top notch and the food is very good. My favorite is the super food salad with smoked mackerel, for our son it's the margherita pizza and my husband's selection is always a surprise -- often one of the tasty pasta dishes.
Due to the variety of options on the menu, we always take our guests here when they visit. It's a comfortable local restaurant, with good food, great service, and served up with a cold beer or a nice glass of wine ... what isn't there to like?

1 Thank Bonnie D

Cobham, United Kingdom
“Better than it looks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

From the outside it is just another home counties gastro pub, and on the inside it is a bit on trend for 1989. However, the service is great and the food rather good. I went with friends and we each ordered something different and all were really good. Definitely worth a visit. Good for couples and large parties alike.

Guildford, United Kingdom
“Great food, value and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

I was very pleasantly surprised by the decor, spaciousness of the bar area as well as the size of restaurant areas for my first visit. The bonus for parents is the great garden with a dedicated play area for the kids. We were very well attended to by Charlie the helpful young waiter, who appears to gave ploughed his way through most of the menu as his knowledge of each dish was really good. A must as a starter is the mushrooms with Gorgonzola cheese that even my wife enjoyed, who never normally eats blue cheeses. The excellent menu offers steaks, fish, pasta and pizzas and I had the best pizza I have ever had, that would put pizza house to shame. Be warned however you do need a good appetite as the portions really are generous and I cannot wait to return, to sample some the other delights offered at this fantastic place.

Fareham, United Kingdom
“A good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

My wife and I spent the morning in nearby Painshill Park and were looking for somewhere for lunch. On making enquiries in the Park Shop we were directed to The Old Bear.

Finding it was not a problem; parking there was. It seems they do not enforce a 'customers only' policy. We eventually managed to find an "unofficial" spot in the car park into which I could manoeuvre our small town car safely and went inside.

The menu has a reasonable selection. My wife chose Smoked Haddock Risotto and I had the Sirloin Steak. Service was provided by Charlie and was exceptionally friendly and helpful throughout.

My wife enjoyed her meal but the quantity was too much for her. It was not that the rice and the fish were our of proportion. The serving was just too generous. I was somewhat disappointed to find that the restaurant had neither French nor wholegrain mustard for my steak. In the event it did not matter too much as the provided sauce was delicious. However, if mustard is what you want to go with your steak then take your own. My steak was about 85% edible which is not bad for sirloin. The fatty 15% adds to the flavour but you would not want to eat it. The meat was also tender and very tasty.

I was delighted to see one of my favourite desserts on the menu, namely Lemon Meringue Sundae, and I had this. It was pleasant enough but I thought they were a bit mean with the lemon sauce. M&S do a very good one if you want to take your own, or perhaps I should have asked for a bit more.

Overall it was a very pleasant experience in comfortable surroundings. We were lucky enough to have a table by the window; other tables looked unacceptably badly lit. You might want to bear this in mind if you make a daytime reservation.

1 Thank DoctorBrian2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Very contemporary pub experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

Great food with mod touches (mozzarella, avocado) good salads and burgers along with excellent range of beers and wines.
Choice of dining indoors, hanging at the bar or enjoy good weather in the outdoor garden which is great if you have smaller children.
Cobham is not on the beaten track for most London tourists as it is about 1 hr south of London by train in Surrey, but near one of the American International Schools. A nice village/town popular with expats so if you visit friends -- this is a great spot for lunch or dinner. Limited parking next to the pub.

1 Thank 505sailor