“Very poor service and overpriced”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Cobham

Hilton Cobham
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Cobham
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Very poor service and overpriced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

First of all this hotel is not your typical Hilton. It's an attractive old building with ugly more moderns bits built onto it but that's only a minor thing.
The management seem to be operating a skeleton staff policy but the effect of that is a slow poor service. Either that or the staff are just very slow.
I ordered food in the bar area which was pretty quiet. It still took an hour for my food to arrive by which time all the others had finished eating. It's annoying to be told it will be two minutes and fifteen minutes later you are still waiting. The following evening I thought I would order something simple for them to make so ordered a sandwich. That took 50 minutes and again all the others who I had dinner with had finished eating. The food was brought to our table one meal at a time often with long gaps between.

On checkout they had miraculously added over £100 per night extra to the agreed rate which they promptly corrected.
The pool is small and an odd shape. The gym is in a long thin conservatory. The running machine I used had something loose on it and made a hell of a racket, so I stopped so as not to annoy everyone in the gym.
The restaurant is nice and the rooms ok.
The location means they have a captive audience unless you want to go out somewhere in the car to eat each evening.
I would reluctantly stay here again but only if nothing else was available in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dean_Rigby_Hilton, General Manager at Hilton Cobham, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear DavidB010711
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay. We always endeavour to offer all our guests an individual service however it would appear that overall on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations and please accept my apologies.
I am sorry you found the service slow and I will ensure your feedback is passed up the line. Our staffing levels are proportioned to the number of guests in the Hotel and should not affect the overall experience.
Thank you once again for this feedback and I will ensure other guests do not leave feeling this way.
I appreciate that not all aspects of your stay were acceptable however I do hope that the positives somewhat out way the negatives and whilst I cannot turn back the clock on this stay I will ensure that on your next visit to the hotel you leave feeling far happier with the experience.

Once again thank you for your valuable feedback and I do hope that this disappointing isolated stay does not deter you from staying with us again in the future.

Dean

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I frequently stay at this hotel on business. The hotel is tired. However, the service generally compensate s. The wait for evening meal was excessive. Made more unpleasant by other guests complaining and the duty manager not having the good sense to take guests to one side rather than having a heated debate for all to hear.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Minxys_man
Dear Minyxs_man

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry that you have left the hotel not feeling as satisfied as normal. Please can you drop me an e mail next time you are staying as I would love the opportunity to meet with you personally - dean.rigby@hilton.com

channel islands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I guess it all depends on what you are used to but I was a little disspointed at the hotel simply because it was not modern and the rooms were small. The air conditioning was a waste of time as I tried to get the temperature down and it defaulted to a higher temp, forcing me to switch it off and open a window.

My bed was not comfortable and the sheets felt like they had been startched to within a inch of their lives!

This said, if your looking for a simple overnight then it is not bad but for the price I would consider a B&B, the beds might be better.

Alek on reception was very good and helpful, as were all other members of staff I encountered.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dean_Rigby_Hilton, General Manager at Hilton Cobham, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear ryanlambotte

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on this website. I was naturally concerned to read your comments and can assure you the air conditioning has been addressed and please accept my apologies for any discomfort caused. Whilst we receive a lot of very positive feedback regarding the Hilton Beds I am sorry this was not to your liking.
Although part of the Hilton portfolio we are a unique character property which cannot be compared to some of the more regular Hilton Hotels in the UK. We are in the process of updating areas of the hotel so I know on your next visit you will notice a number of significant changes. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the team which I will share with them. Whilst I appreciate we may not be your preferred choice of Hotel in the future, should the situation arise that you are staying with us again then please contact myself directly as I would love the opportunity to meet you personally.
surrey-england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Second time staying here
Hotel nice but in need of TLC
The receptionist was not very welcoming,& had a face on him like a wet weekend.
I had to ask about booking a table in the restaurant as I was on DBB
I had to ask about breakfast times
He didn't ask if I wanted a paper in the morning
Checking out they messed up my bill, so that took over half an hour to sort out
Restaurant staff were exceptional, both at Dinner & Breakfast ( reception could learn from them ! )
Housekeeping staff were also very pleasant

Room Tip: Corner suites are very nice & spacious
Dear Terreus

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay here at the Hilton Cobham and for your loyalty to the Hotel.
I understand my PA has been in touch with you and we have addressed the issues you raised. I was very concerned to read that the service you experienced from one of my team members has left you feeling less than satisfied. Our customer service is an area we pride ourselves on here at Cobham and again my sincere apologies. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the Restaurant and Housekeeping teams which I have shared with them.
I do hope that the service you experienced from the Front Desk did not spoil an otherwise enjoyable stay and that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hotel again soon.

langport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

overnight stay. comfortable room . excellent food in restaurant pleasant staff and surroundings. very convenient for Brooklands motor and aeronautical museum. Rhs wisely nearby. convenient for motorway access

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Peter G

Thank you for posting a review following your recent stay with us here at Cobham.

I am delighted that you found the location convenient and you had the time to experience some of the areas history.

I hope it wont be too long before we will be welcoming you back and would love to have the opportunity to meet you personally next time you stay.

Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights. Hotel Staff are very friendly, no complaints about that. However, this is a very, very, tired hotel and if you're paying Hilton money you'll be hugely disappointed by your room. For the standard of room you get you would be better off staying in a budget hotel and buying a nice meal. This hotel also continues the disgraceful Hilton policy of charging £14.99 per day for the internet. If you complain about the charge they refund it at check out. They shouldn't levy it in the first place. Average hotel. Distinctly average.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Mostlygrumpy1
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on this website. I was naturally concerned to read your comments and I should like to apologise for the disappointing experience.
I am sorry that you have left the hotel feeling that your stay was not value for money and I am disappointed that you feel you would have received better value in a budget hotel as although we are not a new build property we do pride ourselves on the quality of service and facilities that we provide and thank you for your very kind comments regarding the staff.Whilst I appreciate we will not be your preferred choice of Hotel in the future, should the situation arise that you are staying with us again then please contact myself directly as I would love the opportunity to meet you personally.
Dean

Travellers are raving about these Cobham hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I’d read a fair few negative reviews about this hotel but we found it to be surprisingly good. Yes it is slightly dated and could do with a little updating in places but on the whole I’d have to say that it was good.
We only stayed one night so didn’t take advantage of all of the great amenities so perhaps it warrants a longer stay at some point.
Check-in was easy and we were given a king size room in a ground floor annex. The room was clean, modern and had everything we needed for an over night stay, best of all it was quite and had a comfortable bed.
The TV reception in our room was poor and I mentioned this prior to an afternoon beer at the bar and this was quickly dealt with. We ate at the Mediterranean Grill in the evening and again we found it to be surprisingly good.
Breakfast was the usual buffet in this kind of hotel but with a good selection and again we had no complaints.
The location is a little out of the way so reliant on taxi’s, which can be expensive, so bear that in mind.
Will definitely stay again, special note to Ben who was courteous, charming and gave excellent service.

Room Tip: Get a king size room on the ground floor annex for peace and quite.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dean_Rigby_Hilton, General Manager at Hilton Cobham, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Paul B

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review following your recent stay with us here at Cobham.
I am delighted you had a relaxing, comfortable and enjoyable time and thank you for your great feedback regarding Dinner.
I am sorry you did not have the opportunity to take advantage of all the great amenities, but hopefully you will next time you stay. Thank you for your kind comments regarding Ben which have been shared with him.
Thank you once more for this great review and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Cobham again soon.
Dean
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cobham
Brooklands Hotel
Oatlands Park Hotel
Oatlands Park Hotel
#2 of 4 in Weybridge
The Runnymede on Thames

Been to Hilton Cobham? Share your experiences!