“Lovely!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Peacehaven, United Kingdom
“Lovely!”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Booked a room via Chessington Holidays website, it's just under 10 miles away from the park, perfect location! The staff was very friendly! The room was a good size. Loved the swimming pool and jacuzzi ! Dined in the bar area, the food was ok, we ordered steaks, 1 was lovely and tender, the other was tough, hard to cut so had to be returned, even though the other one was offered, I lost appetite so preferred it to be taken off the bill, everything else was good. Breakfast was lovely !!! At a checkout we found out that the tough steak hasn't been taken off the bill, even though it was meant to be done a night before, so good that we checked the bill. We were asked to Pre authorise a bank card for £98 on arrival which was meant to be refunded at a checkout, which was fine. We checked out at around 10am and did not check the card balance until the following day and no money's were refunded, so had to phone the hotel to enquire, which was an added hassle. Well, anyway, we had a lovely weekend at Chessington and Hilton Cobham and would definitely come back again! P.S. Please, clean the mould of window frame in room 418 :)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dean_Rigby_Hilton, General Manager at Hilton Cobham, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Karolina P
Thank you for posting a review following you recent stay with us here at the Hilton Cobham.
I am delighted you found the location convenient for Chessington and that you had a relaxing and enjoyable stay and as always I have shared your great feedback with the team.
Please accept our apologies with regards to one of the steaks and for the inconvenience with regards to your bill which I am pleased was quickly rectified.
My Head Housekeeper has addressed the windows in 418 and would like to share in my apologies for this over sight.
I am delighted we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back and would love to meet you personally next time you stay.
Dean

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Rooms are nice and restaurant staff very efficient and the food and drink was lovely. Reception staff very helpful and friendly, the young lady behind the bar on the night of the 15th Aug needs to brush up on her customer service skills, but apart from that a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dean_Rigby_Hilton, General Manager at Hilton Cobham, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Jackie M
Thank you for taking the time to post a short review following your stay with us.
I am delighted that overall you had a great time and for your kind comments regarding the team which as always have been shared with them.
I am sorry that one team member left you feeling less than satisfied with their service and I will address this as a matter of urgency.
Thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback and I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I stayed here with a large number of my family on the night before my wedding in July. I had booked a triple room (a large double room with an extra bed) for myself and two of my bridesmaids with the plan for us to get ready for the wedding in the room. We checked in efficiently and went to the room, only to notice that this was not the room we had paid for - there was no extra bed and there was not even room for an extra bed to be placed. After one of my bridesmaids trekked back down to reception the receptionist said that they had accidentally given our room to someone else and that they would bring up an extra bed to our room. We waited for sometime and finally after trekking back down to reception again, and complaining that this room was much smaller than the one we had paid for, they agreed to upgrade us to an executive room.

We were obviously pleased with the upgrade but I was upset that they had tried to fob us off with a smaller room rather than offering us the bigger room immediately when they realised that they had made the mistake of giving our room away. We also wasted half an hour or more just checking in and traipsing around the hotel backwards and forwards to reception, on the phone to reception and moving rooms (this was with the wedding dress, bridesmaids dresses and all the stuff for getting ready). I wonder if it is even illegal to have paid for one thing and received something else that was a lesser value, whilst trying to pretend that it is what you have paid for? This also made us late for the 'rehearsal evening dinner' and wasn't exactly the relaxing evening that we needed after a full day at the wedding venue setting everything up.

My mum had organised the evening dinner in the hotel restaurant via email before we arrived for 15 of us, sending in our meal requests ahead of time so that we didn't end up having a late night before the wedding. Whilst at the bar before dinner the service was terrible (according to the others - I missed out due to the room checking in fiasco) and nobody seemed bothered about serving the group. When we sat at the table we were confused when they brought the menus around and asked us for our order. It would appear that they had lost my mums order and that we needed to order again. This was made tricky by the fact it was a different menu with more expensive prices. After a discussion that went on for at least half an hour they eventually agreed to the same prices, although not all of the dishes that we were expecting were available. It was getting really late by this time and I asked for some bread as we were all pretty hungry as it was close to 9pm, they brought out a bowl with about five rolls - not particularly useful for 15 of us. On a more positive note, the staff did bring me over a complimentary cocktail when they found out I was getting married. This was a small consolation for the incredibly bad service we experienced.

Rather than getting an early night, our starters arrived some time after 9pm. Breakfast the next morning was fine, although I think due to busyness some members of the family had had to wait for a table. My sister cannot eat gluten and no member of staff could let her know which food items were ok for her to eat. She asked for some gluten free bread and a member of staff disappeared for 20minutes only to return saying they didn't have any. As they were staying two more nights she asked if there could be some available on the next two mornings - alas, the gluten free bread never did turn up. As a large restaurant it seemed incredulous that they wouldn't have a grip on such a common food allergy.

We also left a message for the hairdresser at reception. The hairdresser arrived at reception ten minutes later and was not told the message and consequently spent ages wandering around the hotel trying to find us.

Overall, the service that we experienced at this hotel was shocking and I was extremely embarrassed to have subjected my friends, parents, sisters and grandparents to it. I had a superb wedding day as I wouldn't let this ruin it, but I doubt that anyone from my family will ever stay at a Hilton hotel ever again. If you are looking for a hotel with customer service then please do not stay here. The rooms and facilities are fine and are as described on the hotel website but this hotel needs to seriously up its game and invest in training for its staff as it won't survive long off the back of the Hilton's reputation.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Catherine E

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on this website. I was naturally concerned to read your comments and I should like to apologise for the disappointing experience during this very special occasion.
I understand my Deputy Hotel Manager has been in contact with you and your family and has addressed the areas you have raised with my team to ensure that my future guests do not leave the hotel feeling this way.
Whilst I understand that due to your experiences during this stay we may not be your first choice of hotel in the Surrey area I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel sometime in the future and change yours and your family’s perception of the Hilton Cobham.
Dean

Travellers are raving about these Cobham hotels

Stockport
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We had a very pleasant stay at this hotel. The gentleman at the Hilton Honors desk when we checked in was really friendly and helpful and deserves to be congratulated. The restaurant staff were equally helpful and the food was very good. There was the usual selection at breakfast which was well cooked and fresh. All in all a very pleasant stay and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel. The only downside, and this applies to all Hilton hotels, is that you have to pay for wi-fi which, in this day and age, is ridiculous as in every other hotel this is given automatically. Wake up Hilton and be realistic, it's 2014 not 1914!!!

Room Tip: Very pleasant and friendly hotel
Dear Valerious
Thank you for taking the time to post such a great review following your recent stay with us here at the Hilton Cobham.
I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay and I have shared your great feedback with the team.
Thank you for highlighting one of our reception team members and the team in the Med Grill.
Your great feedback regarding breakfast has been shared with the chef.
With regards to the wifi, whilst this is charged in the room this is complimentary in all our public areas.
I do hope it we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Cobham again soon and would love to meet you personally next time you stay.
Warmest regards
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This was just an overnight stay whilst visiting friends and family and chose this Hotel because of its location. Staff were very friendly and the facilities are excellent. Great location for a weekend break.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank R5397SJpaulm
Dear R5397SJpaulm
Thank you for taking the time to post such a great a review following your recent stay with us here at the Hilton Cobham .I am delighted you had an enjoyable and relaxing stay and I will pass on your kind comments to the team. I do hope it will not be too long before we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back.
Enjoy the rest of the summer
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Whatever you do, don't take your pooch - not welcome! Poor bathroom supplies, and tea/coffee supplies. Internet rubbish. Bar staff ARE NOT attentive. Disappointing visit really, for the money - twice what you would pay at a Mercure hotel, but only half as good.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dean_Rigby_Hilton, General Manager at Hilton Cobham, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Nigel L

Thank you for taking the time to post a short review following your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you have left the hotel feeling that your stay was not value for money and I am disappointed that you feel you would have received better value in a budget hotel as although we are not a new build property we do pride ourselves on the quality of service and facilities that we provide. Therefore I was very concerned to read your feedback that your dog was not welcome. We are renowned here at Cobham for being a pet friendly Hotel and have always received very positive feedback with regards to this so I will be addressing this as a matter of urgency with the team.I understand that my PA has already been in touch with you and we have addressed your feedback in the hotel. I do hope you will give us the opportunity of welcoming you all back to the Hotel and would love the opportunity to meet you personally next time you stay.
Warm Regards,
Durham
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel, plenty of parking, rooms clean and spacious but let down by no free wifi and at £15 a day extortionate!! When you have little ones and can't go out in the evening wifi is a must to watch a film etc. it is a big let down for such a lovely hotel if we had paid for wifi for the length of our stay it would have been £30! Shame as staff were very helpful and breakfast lovely.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Lountony

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with your family.
Thank you for your feedback regarding the wifi, Whilst this is charged in the room this is complimentary in all our public areas and please next time you are staying do not hesitate to ask any of the team who would be happy to help you download a movie that could then be watched in your room.
I do hope it we will have the opportunity of welcoming you and your family back to Cobham again soon.

Dean
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cobham
Brooklands Hotel
Oatlands Park Hotel
Oatlands Park Hotel
#2 of 4 in Weybridge
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Woking

Been to Hilton Cobham? Share your experiences!