“Quite isolated, food is fine but breakfast starts late!”

Woodlands Park Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Cobham
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This hotel is only 4 miles from the A3 but the traffic is very slow at peak periods so I left early and had to miss out on breakfast as the restaurant doesn't open till 7am. Room service was available before 7am but not sure why I should pay a tray charge when in effect I have already paid for breakfast?
The rooms are ok, most have been refurbished recently, but the hotel is looking a bit tired in the main reception area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank NorthamptonRupert
Michael M, General Manager at Woodlands Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Thank you for writing a review after your recent stay. I am sorry that you found access to the hotel from the A3 to be slow; many guests do use JCN 10 off the M25 as the exit is only 1km from the hotel and is much quicker. We serve breakfast from 7am because we have little demand to open earlier but we are more than happy to prepare breakfast for early departing guests upon request. This can be served in guest rooms or in Bensons Restaurant and I am disappointed that you did not enquire at Recpetion prior to departure.
We are currently planning the second phase of our public area refurbishment having replaced all of the Grand Hall and Reception carpet in August whilst fully refurbishing the Chester Bar at the same time and this next phase is expected to be completed in 2014.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

High standards of accommodation, service and food in an elegant setting but at a reasonable price. The bedroom was furnished to a high standard but someo he comon areas were a lttle dated but, after all, this is in keeping with the age of the old lady. I had an inclusive rate and thoroughly enjoyed a full English breakfast, although many other options were available.

In the few days I stayed there I never did quite figure out the bedroom temperature controls.

Although the hotel is set in very pretty and quiet countryside, the road outside is quite narrow, traffic travels quite quickly and it's not easy to take a walk and there are no other places of interest in walking distance anyway.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and your very kind comments; they are appreciated. I am glad that you enjoyed Breakfast; it is something we are particularly proud of but I am concerned that you had trouble with the thermostatic heating control. Perhaps on your next visit, please ask Reception to have our Executive Housekeeper visit your room and set the controls for you.
Whilst we do have extensive grounds to stroll around, I concur that a walk along the roadside is fraught with danger; we usually recommend that guests take a cab to Cobham to stroll along the common, down the riverside path via the water mill and into town for a coffee in one of the quaint café’s or excellent pubs. Please ask us about this when you next stay.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

We went to the hotel for a family birthday party so decided to stay overnight. The room was very good, a very large and comfortable bed and a very well appointed bathroom.
The staff were excellent, very friendly and accommodating. The building is, however, looking a little tired in places and could probably do with a bit of refurbishing.
We did have cobwebs in one of the wardrobes but it is spider season.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

I was delighted to read your review and have shared it with my colleagues. I am sorry that you felt the hotel was a little tired in places; Hand Picked Hotels invest heavily in the hotel collection and an ongoing refurbishment plan is underway in both the bedrooms and public areas at Woodlands Park. There is absolutely no excuse for cobwebs irrespective of the spider season; please accept my sincere apologies.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

I always reccommend this venue to all my friends who come and visit. Having stayed there when my house was getting some work done I was throroghally impressed with everything. The room was great and comfortable and the staff were very helpful

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and for your support of Woodlands Park. I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you and your friends back to the hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Woodlands Park brings country living within reach of the city. Just 5 minutes from the M25. Lovely landscaped gardens and great meals in the restaurant. Needs an upgrade to the furnishings and carpet.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at Woodlands Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review after your recent stay; it is much appreciated. Hand Picked Hotels are committed to investing in the fabric of our hotels and an ongoing refurbishment programme is currently underway at Woodlands Park. This has included the re-carpeting of the entrance, Grand Hall and stairs as well as the creation of a new residents bar. We are currently redecorating all external aspects of the hotel and this work will continue throughout 2014.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

This is a rather gloomy old building with lots of dark wood panelling, set in very pleasant grounds. I have no idea what it is like to stay in, as I only attended a function there. This was characterised by some of the poorest food and service that I have experienced in some while - even allowing for the fact that a meal for seventy or so people is never going to be haute cuisine. The reception was handled well enough, but at the start of the meal there were speeches, which were obviously going to end in one or more toasts - except that no-one's glasses had been refilled, and most were empty.
Then it took at least half an hour to get all the guests past the single buffet counter for the starters; and during this period no bread was brought to the tables. I chose the paté from an unappetising display. It had no distinct taste and a rather unpleasant texture. An equally tasteless pasta that I chose as the main course was accompanied by soggy over-cooked vegetables. I passed on puddings, but my neighbour had a tartlet with pastry so hard that it was difficult to cut through. Just glad I wasn't paying.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank WardenRon
Michael M, General Manager at Woodlands Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

It is difficult to provide an apposite response to your feedback without unambiguous details particularly as the event you refer to is unidentifiable. Having reviewed all of the function information sheets at the hotel for the preceding quarter, I have not been able to identify a function with the menu items you describe nor have I received any similar feedback from an event that has taken place at the hotel in the last year; either from individual guest or from an event organiser. It is always regrettable to receive indistinct feedback as it prevents me from investigating the issues and identifying areas of under-performance that we can address for future guests. Notiwthstanidng that may I thank you for taking the time and trouble to provide a review on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed on a Saturday night on one of their deals. A very warm welcome by the receptionist and taken to our room by the duty manager which was more than we expected.

The room was quite small and(6) but mainly because the bed was massive. Mattress was comfy but clearly a bit old as they had "padded" the mattress with duvets and blankets. Duvet was soft and warm and plenty of pillows. Surprisingly no dressing table mirror because the big flat screen tv was hung on the wall where it should have been. Plenty of mirrors in the bathroom but tricky to do your hair in. Bathroom was a but tired but very clean.

Dinner was expertly cooked with a comfortable gap between courses. If its on the menu, order the tart tatin - it was to die for. Extremely extensive wine list to suit all palettes and pockets and the rest of the drinks menu was more than one could ask for. Breakfast as you would expect - very good poached eggs!

The rest if the hotel is as you would expect, lovely oak beams and panelling, with oil paintings adorning every wall.

Gardens were a bit dissppointing but understandable for the time of year.

Overall a lovely stay and I will be looking at other handpicked hotels.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review after your recent stay; it is much appreciated. I was delighted to read your very positive comments about dinner in the Oak Room Restaurant and must concur with your view of the 'tarte tatin'! and also about breakfast on the next day.

I was pleased that you slept well in one of our new Hypnos beds that have the added comfort of a ‘memory foam’ topper on them and not additional duvets and blankets as you suspected. There are mirrors fitted into all of the dressing tables in a compartment that also holds the hairdryer and I am sorry that the opening of this was not readily apparent. In light of your feeedback, I will make sure that when we escort guests to their room we do point this facility out.

Please do let me know personally when you next come to visit and I will ensure that your stay is without incident.

GENERAL MANAGER

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cobham
Hilton Cobham
Premier Inn Cobham Hotel
Oatlands Park Hotel
Oatlands Park Hotel
#2 of 4 in Weybridge

Been to Woodlands Park Hotel? Share your experiences!