“Definitely 4* where it matters”

Woodlands Park Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Cobham
London, United Kingdom
“Definitely 4* where it matters”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Firstly, the hotel itself is charming and not 'worn' as some others have commented. The reception area, in particular, is very comfortable and has a warm atmosphere; I felt completely at ease reclining there before dinner, with a lovely glass of red.

Secondly, the room is similarly charming and very clean. The bed is probably the best I have ever slept on as well.

Finally, the restaurant exudes much the same charm as the reception area, which is probably a good thing as we were waiting a very long time for dinner (the waiter/ kitchen messed up our order). This unfortunately did not seem unique to us either. However, we were more than compensated for with complimentary drinks, while the staff and general manager were very apologetic, and when our food did finally come it was delicious.

Overall, the hotel is very good where it matters and I can happily recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tim J
Michael M, General Manager at Woodlands Park Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review and in particular, for rebuffing some of the more obtuse comments left by other reviewers.

My colleagues and I work assiduously to ensure that we meet our guest’s expectations and that people staying at Woodlands Park both enjoy their visit and leave with happy memories. On occasion, we do fall short of these aspirations but we always respond proactively to feedback from guests when it is given so that we can address concerns and issues in a timely manner.
I was disappointed to read of the delays with dinner service but I was pleased to read that my colleagues and I made the wait more bearable but more importantly that you enjoyed dinner when it was served.

Michael A McKay FIH GENERAL MANAGER

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Polish first
Benson, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We first stayed here around 9 years ago and were so impressed with the place that we would make an annual trip back, just for dinner, drinks and a relaxing evening away. It was a terribly impressive hotel back then. It's still lovely but it does seem that standards have slipped since back then.
The chap who checked us in was friendly and efficient, even offered to show us to our room. The room was nice, but with a few niggles that really annoyed me. Firstly, for ladies. They provide an averagely good hair dryer but no mirror. There is no mirror in the main bedroom at all. (Room 36). There is a long bathroom (with drafty windows...so don't forget to move your towel from the towel rail before your shower as it's a cold walk back to get it!), and a mirror above the sink but at the far end of the bathroom which obviously has no sockets. There is a full length mirror on the back of the bathroom door but it's not much use for hair drying or make up. The magnified, illuminated mirror by the sink has no bulb (or switch) in it. I made the mistake of automatically putting my finger on the top to switch it on to find a greasy hole where the switch should be. Disappointing. Other than that, the kettle in the wardrobe with the amenities has to be carried through to the main bedroom to be plugged in as it has a very strange round pinned plug. Finding the socket at random in the room was fun first thing.

Dinner was lovely. The Oak Room is a beautiful setting, the service was great (although we has to ask for our champagne to be taken from us, put in an ice bucket and brought to the table). The staff are helpful and professional and the food was wonderful. They did get our beef fillets mixed up but they were still lovely. The portion sizes were perfect, I was just beaten by the cheese plate but a really lovely meal in a great setting.

We decided, as we always used to do, to retire to the great hall and have liqueur coffees by the open log fire. It's a lovely and relaxing setting. How disappointing that the fire was not lit and the relaxing atmosphere spoiled by a group of drinking males with foul language who went unchecked by the staff. We drank our incredibly expensive coffees, I mean really check the prices before you order, grabbed a night cap from the bar and headed back to the room.

Breakfast was moved from Benson's Brasserie to a function room type place. Was still pleasant enough but the table set ups seemed rather half hearted. I had to search other tables for salt and pepper, butter, tea spoons and marmalade. The staff were present but not very visible and certainly seemed not be able to predict customer's needs very well. The tea and toast we ordered on arrival arrived, cold, after our cooked breakfasts and staff were noticeably not available after delivering our food.

I intended to inform the hotel of the little niggles, I didn't want to make a complaint as there wasn't anything that was majorly wrong but enough little annoyances to make a dent in what should have been a lovely relaxing night away from the kids. There were no feedback type forms/leaflets that I could see, and I did look. And the terribly pleasant check in chap who again checked us out was polite and pleasant but didn't ask how or if we had enjoyed our stay.

In summary, it is a lovely hotel in a lovely setting with great staff but needs to pay more attention to detail. It still looks like the hotel we first stayed in all those years ago but with the bits that have aged and broken left unfixed. It is attention to the small but important details that makes the difference between a good hotel and a great one. We won't be rushing back sadly. Time to find a new hotel for our next romantic break away.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 36 if you want to be able to dry your hair in a mirror!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsA666
Michael M, General Manager at Woodlands Park Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay and for completing one of our online feedback forms; I was disappointed to read that we failed to match your expectations in several areas and that we have somewhat marred your previous good view of Woodlands Park.

I am infuriated that my Receptionist did not ask you about your stay because this would have given me the opportunity to meet with you personally and discuss the concerns that you had. Please accept my apologies for this error.

Having joined the hotel in 2013, I initiated an ongoing refurbishment and redevelopment programme of both the public areas and guest bedrooms and we have recently redeveloped and refurbished the Chester Bar, replaced carpets in all ground floor corridors, installed air conditioning in all of the ground floor lounges and dining rooms, and installed secondary glazing in 20 bedrooms.

During 2014 we have extensive plans to refurbish Bensons Restaurant, all of our bedroom suites and four main house public rooms as well as create disabled parking and access facilities.

I do hope that you will reconsider your view that you may choose to stay elsewhere when you next plan a romantic break away and I would urge you to contact me personally so that I can ensure that your next stay is more than a match for your expectations.

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Beautiful old world hotel but with modern bedrooms and facilities, my only complaint I can have is the position of the toilet roll holder ,it sticks in you when you sit down (room 55 ). Lovely hotel with the most helpfull and polite staff I've encountered , enjoyed watching some people having traditionall afternoon tea with proper cake stands bad china cups , evening meal was fabulous I had belly pork with black pudding, only described as excellent , found breakfast had a great choice ,inc omelettes ,kippers ,full English ,continual selections, I opted for omelette and it was delicious.
Very highly recommended

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your lovely feedback; please be assured that I have shared it with my colleagues. I have also had the toilet roll holder moved in room 55 to a more suitable place.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the very near future for another successful and enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Myself and my family took my mum to this hotel for her 50th birthday. We had a lovely time and there were several plus points, but also some little things which could be improved and make a much bigger impact on the overall experience.

Plus points were; the beds (amazing and HUGE), the food at dinner (we had the valentine's set menu for 5 of us) some of the staff and the package which included champagne.

Unfortunately there were a number of things left desired. For example we booked a double rooms and 2 twins which turned out to all be double rooms. The rooms all needed dusting and the extractor fans didn't work in any bathroom. One of our bedrooms didn't have robes and one didn't have a black out blind. Silly inconsistencies which it wouldn't take much to manage. The breakfast buffet was limp and not replenished (we arrived at 10am and breakfast is supposedly served until 11am) but the seperate breakfast menu had lots of options and was well cooked. Some of the staff were quite haphazard and my uncle's chair was kicked every time they walked past.

Overall, a mixed bag. Some things were great but others were shabby. If i'd have paid for the weekend i'd have been a bit miffed! Particular kudos to the restaurant manager Yorkshire-man. I didn't catch his name but he was definitely their best asset.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank LJ9169
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. It is always difficult to read that we have failed to meet our guest expectations and I was very disappointed to read that you found your rooms to be less than perfectly clean; please accept my sincere apologies that this was the case.
Breakfast is something that we pride ourselves on delivering to a very high standard and I am frustrated that not only was the buffet presentation sub-standard but my colleagues appeared to be less than consistent and careful during service. This is unacceptable and I have discussed your feedback with my Restaurant Manager Simon Roper and passed onto him your very kind personal comments.

Perhaps on the occasion you do next stay with us you will let me know so that I may personally ensure that your visit is perfect.

Surrey
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We visited this hotel for afternoon tea on Sunday and thoroughly enjoyed the delicious food and the service. However the room in which we had tea needed some attention. There was paint peeling from the walls and the windows were dirty. The waiter who served us well let himself nd the hotel down by wearing a jacket stained with what looked like mud. There was background music provided by a CD player but this had to be turned off when the CD kept getting stuck. All in all great food but the little things need more attention.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BadtravellerSurrey
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Arrived impromptu for afternoon tea with several family members and were treat fantastically by all staff...nothing seemed too much trouble and they were more than accommodating to our needs including just cream teas for some of the party. Scones were amazing, warm and delicious. I found all the staff to be attentive and very friendly so am shocked by some of the reviews that state the staff are unhelpful and have poor attitudes.

Stayed November 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review; it is very much appreciated.
In particular, thank you for rebuffing some of the more obtuse comments left by other reviewers. My colleagues work tirelessly to ensure that our guests are happy and that people staying at Woodlands Park both enjoy their visit and leave with happy memories.
Occasionally we do fall short of these aspirations, often because of human failings, but we do always respond proactively to guest concerns and hopefully we address concerns and issues in a timely manner.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Went for afternoon tea last weekend, very disappointed as the afternoon tea at Woodlands Park had been recommended to us. When we sat down the table was set, including two champagne glasses. One of the glasses was filthy, surely any half decent place would check small details like this when setting the table.
We ordered afternoon tea for two, again the teapot and cups were not exactly clean, obviously been through a dishwasher but then not checked or wiped when they came out, more small details that I would expect to not be overlooked at a 4 star hotel.
The sandwiches were poorly filled and the bread was dry, my guess was they had been made earlier in the day and then just left on the side to dry out. The scones were the only positive, they were actually really nice, the rest of the cakes were average.
While at £16 per head is at the cheaper end of the price range for hotel afternoon tea I would at least expect clean glasses and crockery and fresh sandwiches so will not be going back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chris73a
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cobham
Hilton Cobham
Days Inn Cobham M25
Days Inn Cobham M25
#1 of 4 in Cobham
Premier Inn Cobham Hotel

Been to Woodlands Park Hotel? Share your experiences!