“Beautiful Suite but..”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Cobham
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Suite but..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived here at around 1pm. The building was lovely and set in nice grounds. The interior was pleasant, maybe a little tired but clean and cosy. On checking in we noticed that there was a wedding party! I generally hate staying at hotels when there is a wedding on, they are loud and disruptive and the majority of the hotel is booked up. We asked for a room away from the wedding party and were upgraded to a suite. The room itself was beautiful, it was the King Suite. Elegantly decorated, incredibly spacious and huge windows with a pleasant view of the green!

Some members of staff were very pleasant, Stephen on reception and the dinner staff were good. Others were professional but not quite as friendly.

As expected with the wedding on we weren't really able to get full use out of the hotel. The main hall was full of wedding guests before we had dinner and all the other rooms other than the restaurant were off limits. The King Suite upgrade did make up for this to some extent but we chose Hand Picked Hotels as we like to enjoy the lovely little rooms and views that these particular hotels usually have. Unfortunately we couldn't really do that so much for this stay. To be fair to the staff, they did do their very best to ensure that the normal guests were effected as little as possible by the wedding party and other than most of the hotel being off limits there was very little disturbance.

All in all a pleasant stay with nice food but when you are paying over £200 for one night you should be able to make use of all of the hotel facilities.

• Stayed July 2014
Michael M, General Manager at Woodlands Park Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for posting a review of your recent visit to Woodlands Park; it is very much appreciated. I was delighted to read that we were able to upgrade you to a suite when you asked but I was perturbed to read that you felt there were areas of the hotel that you were not allowed to access. The wedding party used the Prince of Wales and Cornwall Suites for the reception/wedding breakfast and clearly as they were resident, they made use of the Grand Hall and cocktail bar but they did not use any other public rooms in the hotel. At Woodlands Park, unlike some other Hand Picked Hotels, we do not have any other public lounges other than the Grand Hall as the remaining rooms off the Grand Hall are used for private dining and meetings. When you stayed with us it is likely that they were is use for such events.

GENERAL MANAGER

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Polish first
Braintree, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Lucky enough to get a corner room in a turret so lots of windows, even in the bathroom - rare in hotels!! Well appointed room, very spacious, lovely bathroom - tho bath a bit narrow, bathrobes were a nice touch. Bed very comfortable with lots of cushions, pillows + additional pillows if required. Had room service breakfast as not served til 8 in the restaurant on Saturdays & we had to make a quick getaway, which was very good... Would have liked to spend longer admiring the grounds but maybe one day will return for longer.

Room Tip: Try to get a turret room ... Lots of different aspects, light & airy!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Whusthatgirl
Thank you for posting a review of your recent visit to Woodlands Park. I was delighted to read that you were pleased with the room we allocated to you and enjoyed the space and brightness of the room as well as the hugely comfortable Hypnos bed! I look forward to welcoming you back for a longer stay when the opportunity arises.

Northwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

When I was shown to our double room I was surprised to see that the expected double room was really a large wardrobe posing as a room. However after complaining I was given a suite for a reasonable extra fee of £10 per night. The suite was great and from then on everything was fine. The staff were polite and courteous. The food was ok but we only ate there one night. My only complaint would be that no hotel of that standard should have rooms so small, that they would induce claustrophobia in a mouse.

Room Tip: Do not book a classic double, it isn't really a single!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Michael M, General Manager at Woodlands Park Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review in good humour. I am sorry that the felt that the classic double room that you booked was smaller than you anticipated; whilst being compact it is certainly a double room and is used by couples throughout the year without previous comment. I was delighted that my colleague noted your disappointment and was able to upgrade you to a suite for a nominal charge.

London England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We recently held a corporate event at Woodlands Park. Friendly and efficient booking service, very good attentive service on the day with two members of staff provided for the afternoon to serve drinks and tea. Food on the whole was good - selection of sandwiches, sorbet, scones with jam and cream and large selection of cakes. Lovely grounds and we enjoyed tea on the patio although the traffic noise from the M25 is obvious and constant.
Only down side - they made an error on the bill by double charging for all the drinks! Check your bill carefully.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank JTZ
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review; it is much appreciated and I have passed on your very kind feedback to my colleagues. May I add my apologies to those of Jane for the double-posting of your account. Both my administration team and operation team posted the pre-arranged charges without cross-reference and the unfortunate error occurred. I am pleased that we were immediately able to delete the duplicate charge and you were not inconvenienced.

Longford, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

An old school feel with excellent food and service.Staff were very friendly, the seating area at reception was nice and relaxing. Room was very comfortable and spacious, with a nice bathroom. Would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for posting such a lovely review of your visit to Woodlands Park Hotel. I was delighted to read that you will be staying with us on the next occasion you are in Surrey and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Chichester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

When you arrive it's a picture of 1800s splendour , a large building set in beautiful grounds of well established old trees.
The welcome on reception is warm and friendly and plenty of hellos from all the staff.
Is it 4star?..

NO is the answer to that, we sat in the garden and had afternoon tea, the tables had not been cleared from the previous people and when our tea arrived the old glasses were still not removed by the waiter.

All around our feet were the left over cigarette ends which had built up over a number of days which was disgusting to say the least.

We had a pleasant meal in the brasserie restaurant although a basic steak and chips we still had to ask for steak knives once our meal had been served and when we inquired as to why they had given us butter someone ran off and found some rolls for the table.

The rooms are small but very well presented and the bathroom I must say was fantastic.

The main problem with this hotel is the NOISE, all through the night all you can hear is the M25 a constant hum of traffic even with the single glazed windows closed the noise never stops, and every ten minutes or so it's made even louder by planes flying over head from Heathrow.

It's a shame that when this was built there was no M25 ! Would I stay again, don't think so

Room Tip: Take ear plugs
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank monkey170
Thank you for posting a review of your recent visit to Woodlands Park. I was pleased to read that overall you had an enjoyable visit but was very concerned to read of the poor service you received from a member of my food service team in the garden; this is not acceptable and action has been taken to prevent a recurrence. Likewise the rather careless service in Bensons was disappointing to read about; please be assured that re-training has been implemented.

I am really sorry that you felt you were disturbed by the M25; it is over 800m away from the hotel and comments about the environmental sound from it are very infrequent. Notwithstanding this, we are midway through a programme of installing secondary glazing to all bedrooms to ensure that any environmental noise is minimised.

As we are neither on the flight path for Heathrow nor Gatwick, despite both being within easy reach, I can honestly say that this is the first comment I have ever received from a guest about noise from airplanes. Having been outside this morning for an alfresco meeting on the terrace, I counted 3 airplanes in a 2 hour period passing to the north of the hotel none of which were a nuisance.

I am sorry to read that because of the noise you experienced you would probably not stay with on a future occasion but if you do change you mind, please let me know personally and I will arrange for you to have a room on the front of the hotel that has already had secondary glazing completed.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

I've just returned from a 2 day conference at this hotel and really enjoyed the experience. There is plenty of character, decent meeting facilities, quality food, and attentive friendly service.

My room was spacious and the bed really comfortable. Shame the blinds don't work very well leaving the room very light in the early morning, but I'm sure the staff would have sorted this out had I asked.

The main thing missing is a gym. Quite an omission. There are 'gym in a bag' kits to borrow, but it's not the same.

That said I would still recommend this hotel for business and for pleasure.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post such a great review; it is very much appreciated. I have looked at the blinds in your room and must agree that they needed adjusting; something that has now been done. I appreciate your feedback about the lack of a gym as this is something we are reviewing at the moment. Unfortunately the planning and listed building regulations are complex and as we investigate ways of creating a gym environment, in keeping with the history and architcture of the building, we have a number of challenges to address.
I am delighted that you feel confident to recommend the hotel and I do hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back in the very near future.

GENERAL MANAGER
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cobham
Hilton Cobham
#1 of 4 in Cobham
De Vere Wotton House
De Vere Wotton House
#2 of 8 in Dorking

Been to Woodlands Park Hotel? Share your experiences!