“Needs Closing Down !!!”

Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
“Needs Closing Down !!!”
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

Waited 2.5 hours for food to arrive. When it arrived it all had to go back because it was cold. The waiter was not happy & was swearing whilst taking the food back.
Numerous times we ordered drinks which never arrived.
My friend had a chicken bone in her Curry & to top it all off when they collected my plate the waiter smashed me on the head with it leaving me covered in curry.
The waiter laughed and was more concerned about collecting the rest of the plates. I had to ask the waiter 2 get me a towel to clean up.
The food itself taste wise was pretty good but i will not be returning & would not recommend this place to anyone.
They did reluctantly take off about 20% off the final bill but this did not make up for the disasterous night.
My Birthday celebrations ruined this year :-(

2 Thank Ben A

Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible customer services”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

On New Year's on 31 Dec 2013, we went to the restaurant to celebrate. My husband decided to have a main course directly as he wasnt too hungry for both,starters and main course. But I decided to go for some starters. We wanted to order all together so that we saved time and returned home before my little daughter's sleeptime and that she could munch Naan bread with her Daddy and was kept busy. Apparently the staff serving wasnt too sure of our order and asked me if intended to order main course eventually. I explained him that he can bring whatever we have decided so far, so that we saved time. In due course we finished with our poppadoms and asked another guy for a couple more. This guy asks the other guy (who took our order) to bring 2 poppadoms for our table. That guy tells in a weird tone, "only 2 poppadoms again" and mutters something in his language, Bengali. Apparently his tone was not that great either. And I stood up and told them that I heard the tone and know what they meant. Initially one of the staffs reaction was that he did not know what I was saying and later when my husband raised his voice, the relevant staff came and explained what he meant. Regardless of anything we left the place since I understood what he said as I understand Bengali. I am not going there again, it is a big no for me and neither I am going to reccommend. I hope they learn from this and not repeat it, atleast on the customer face. I felt so bad because I have never expected this from the hospitality people.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Sumita A
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
“Good”
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

Good food and service was good. Takeaway also very good.... And you get a free beer! Extensive menu. Get a two for one card.

Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
“Good menu and service”
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Excellent choice on menu at reasonable prices. Good Service and layout of Restaurant. Visited with 2 friends and husband (who doesn't eat indian food) and it was no trouble at all for them to cook him chicken and chips so he could join in with us while we thoroughly enjoyed our meals. Would definitely go there again.......and again .......

Visited November 2013
Worcestershire
“Food is fabulous but bill always exaggerated!”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We live in bromsgrove and have been going to chennai probably every 2-3months for at least four years. In our opinion it is the best Indian restaurant in the area, simply because the food is very good. It is tasty, good quality and well presented food. Outside the area we have been to numerous Indian restaurants over the last 15 years, the current best we would say is Asha's in birmingham. Chennai food-wise is not any competition for Asha's however, it is a level above your average curry or balti house.

The waiting staff are very polite but sometimes they can be a bit over bearing by constantly keeping an eye on your table, but when it gets a bit busier you can be left waiting up to 10 minutes for a glass of water, and once we waited 25 mins for the bill to made up.

My main concern is the manager, who is the only one for some reason who can write up and issue the bill. Even though we are regulars and are aware of the prices, he seems to add at least a three pounds to the bill every time we visit. We can not account for this amount, even after we've left we add up everything half a dozen times according to the menu and that three pounds can't be justified. This extra is spread over different items, for example, an extra 40p on naan bread, extra 60p on the alcohol etc.

The thing is he hand writes everything on the bill, this writing is unclear and not easy to read and then he keeps the bill once you have paid. We have always tipped quite generously and they are aware of this so doing that to us it quite sad really. We have not been the only customers to notice it, one table in particular noticed £ 6 added to their bill and straightaway challenged the manager to which he relented and apologised. Another thing I have noticed is the wine I have had there on different visits, the Cabernet and the Pinot Grigio are slightly weak tasting and I feel this may be watered down. My hubby always has a beer but my friend and I are wine drinkers and when we have been we have both agreed the wine we had has been slightly diluted.

We love the food, it is fab but we have now been put off going because of this one reason. It is pure greed and very naughty of the manager to do this to his customers most of which are regulars due to the restaurant being in the country side. The good food there is so enjoyable and will keep people going back but like us, they will get fed up of being subtly being ripped off and end up feeling disappointed. Do try it as you will love the food however, watch your bill!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Tan255
Abdul B, Manager at Chennai Lounge Restaurant, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Can I thank you for visiting our restaurant for over the four year period. Much appriciate your comment on our food and comparision with Asha in Birmingham. We did experiment a similar menu but with customer feedback we decided to revert back to serving good old Indian food. We nor our customers liked the new fusion style Indian concept where you stuck a single prawn a a cocktail stick with a cherry tomato, bunsen burner brown sugar for a glazed effect draw a pathiic zig-zag lines on a plate with stripes of carrots..etc. You get the picture. So we went back to basic with double back-chops barbequed in clay oven served with fried mushroom, onions and peppers.
I want to come back to your main concern where you are saying that random figures are being added to your bill. Ive investgated the matter undercover and raised the issue with the manager on duty. The only outcome Ive concluded to is the figures are being added to papadoms and incorrectly charged. Now this is not intentional it is that the Chutney tray is charged at £2.40 and is not clearly marked or written.
In few months time we are hopeing to install EPOS in the restaurant to resolve this issue and also that misrable handwriting by one of our staff!