“Distinctly Average”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Bromsgrove
Cardiff, Wales, UK
“Distinctly Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night whilst on business in the area.
My room and the bar area were fine, but the restaurant was a bit soulless really.
Bed/pillows were good and I had a decent night's sleep.

Breakfast was poor, e.g. bacon well under-cooked, so settled for cereal and a soggy croissant.
Dinner was hit and miss, my rib-eye steak was fine but my colleague's fish was terribly over-cooked and tough. Service was slow too; it took 15 minutes to receive our drinks order.

Small gym with enough to keep you occupied for a while but would be a struggle if it got busy.

Overall OK for a stopover but nothing special.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
AlanNorthern, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Bromsgrove, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Thank you for your comments. I was sorry to learn that everything was not to your satisfaction. I will certainly pass on your comments to the Restaurant Manager & Head Chef. Thank you for bringing these matters to my attention

Alan Northern

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Polish first
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed here a number of times between May and October this year when I was working in Bromsgrove. The hotel side of things is fine, with comfortable rooms and friendly, helpful staff. The breakfasts are good too. Where it lets itself down is in relation to poor service in the restaurant, and I gather from colleagues who've stayed there that I wasn't the only one affected.
I ate in the restaurant a couple of times, but on one occasion encountered truly some of the worst service I have ever come across. It took 56 minutes, no less, for my main course to arrive, in spite of me reminding the staff three times, and I was literally walking out when it arrived. And they only had three tables to serve. The kitchen blamed the waitress, and she blamed the kitchen. The duty manager said it was because they were busy with room service...
The complimentary glass of wine they gave me didn't really do much to improve my mood, and they then had the temerity to give me a comments card. Not surprisingly, I gave them a panning, but did I ever get a response? Did I heck...
A shame, because this could be a very good hotel. If you want to eat there, go for a bar meal. They're ok, and the food arrives in the right century.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
AlanNorthern, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Bromsgrove, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Thank you for your comments. I was sorry to learn about the issues you have had in the restaurant. I will certainly pass these onto the Operations Manager, Restaurant Manager & Head Chef as this is clearly unacceptable. I really do hope that it does not deter you from using the hotel & brand in the future. We will endeavour to improve on these deficiences in service.

Thank you once again for bringing these matters to my attention

Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed here in october half term with our children for one night, before visiting a theme park, so we would have been happy with somewhere just to crash, but we were very pleased at the standards of this hotel.

Easily placed so we could travel up and find it without trouble, we were then able to use the pool with our children. Although small, it was adequate for the number of families that seemed to be using it, but I don;t know how anyone wishing to swim properly would have found it!

Staff were courteous and helpful and the free wifi in the public areas was a bonus - I also was unable to to connect to the wired internet as I was using an iPad, but I could just about get a signal on the wifi by sitting by the window of our room!

The breakfast was excellent, with lots of choice and at a suitable time for us too.

The only downside to the hotel - and it is a minor point - is that in the bathroom it is beginning to show its age. There was nothing I'd call dirty, but just those small signs in the bath sealant etc that shows it's probably time to redecorate.

Having said that, I'd definitely recommend it - this is a Holiday Inn and we paid less than the nearest Premier Inn was asking.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
AlanNorthern, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Bromsgrove, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Thank you for your excellent comments following your recent stay with us. I will certainly pass on the point you make to the Housekeeper about the bathroom sealants. We do hope to see you again when you are next in the area

Many thanks

uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Arrived at 1030 pm and met with a smiley face, prompt service at reception and allocate a room on first floor, dont have lower floors as they have poor phone and data reception.
The room is a little tired but adequate for its purpose. This trip is business so I am not paying for it. The decor and bedding is smart,TV is flat screen with about 12 standard channels.
The Gym is small but well equipped and the pool also small but ok for a quick swim before breakfast. Any more than 4 doing lengths and it is too crowded.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
AlanNorthern, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Bromsgrove, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Thank you for your comments. I was sorry to hear that you could not get a great reception on your phone where you were located in the hotel. I do hope that this does not deter you from visiting the hotel in the future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

My family stayed at the hotel as part of the wedding arrangements for my son's wedding on 25th October. The accommodation was excellent and all the guests were very happy with the rooms and the facilities on offer. The staff were very professional in their organisation of the wedding. The Fairfield Suite was well presented and looked beautiful for all the events from the Civil ceremony, the Wedding Breakfast and the evening party. The service was excellent at all times. We had a meal in the restaurant the evening before the weeding and this was great value for the money as we had 4 adults and 3 young children and the whole bill came to about £80 ( excellent food and service). the hotel also offered the guests the use of the pool and many appreciated and used this facility. Breakfasts were on a help yourself basis but this gave every guest the opportunity to have what they wanted and the choices were better than many similar establishments. I would like to convey my thanks and gratitude for the wonderful reception that they prepared and wish them every success in the future. I hope one day to visit this hotel again to take full advantage of the Revive Spa facility.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
AlanNorthern, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Bromsgrove, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you for your excellent comments. I was very pleased to hear that your son's wedding went very well. We hope to see you back soon when you return to use the Revive spa facility

Many thanks

Poole, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

Booked a conference room for a training session with about 14 clients.

Major issue was trying to get the room temperature right which was either too cold or too hot (especially in the afternoon). Nice venue located right next to the M5 (although you cannot exit off the motorway at that point).

A well presented and good selection for a two course lunch with 'home made' rice pudding proving particularly popular. Nice break out areas with ample outside space (although raining) and a large coffee area. Very Friendly staff.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
AlanNorthern, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Bromsgrove, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Thank you for your comments I was sorry to hear of the issues you had with the temperature control. However I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food, especially the home made rice pudding!

I hope that you are not put off from using the hotel again

aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Had a lovely stay here again. The staff are excellent from front of house, to restaurant to chamber maids to Revive Health club, cleaners. Every single member of staff is friendly, smiling and helpful Can;t praise it enough. The swimming pool is excellent, didn't use the gym so can't comment on that. Restaurant is excellent too, Rooms clean and comfortable. I need a dairy free diet and the chef was very helpful in modifying any dish requested. Breakfast and dinner are excellent, wide choice of food

Room Tip: As far as I know all the rooms are good