“near to shops”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Bromsgrove
england
“near to shops”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Have just stayed at the Holiday Inn for the night on a birthday treat for my sister,On arrival there was lots of people waiting for taxis and only one member of staff on the desk but we did get sorted out and left our cases in the luggage room untill our room was available,then we hit the shops,well after coffee and cake,when we got back to the Holiday Inn our rooms were ready and we were in 601 executive room,very nice comfortable beds with graded pillows soft to hard,lovely massive tv on the wall full fridge and tea and coffee facilities,good nights sleep and breakfast next morning fruit juice. cereals ,hot and cold breakfast ,toast crossants tea coffee etc,the hot breakfast was great everything including 2 differant sausages bacon,black pudding fried bread,hash browns,fried eggs and scrabled eggs toms and beans and it was piping hot and hot plates very nive

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
AlanNorthern, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Bromsgrove, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you for your excellent comments following your recent stay. I hope you did not wait too long at Reception. I was certainly pleased to hear that breakfast was a fantastic experience as this is the most important meal of the day. We look forward to seeing you back soon.

Alan Northern

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We spent Friday & Saturday night here as we were going to Cheltenham races.We carefully selected this hotel based on the reviews I read and the price quoted and the fact it had excellent leisure facilities.Arriving around 3pm Friday,we were greeted by a thoroughly professional and pleasant female receptionist.She offered us the opportunity to view our rooms first (we booked a twin on line,but she also offered a double if we wished)We chose twins as we find most hotel doubles too small,as was the case here.Our room was clean and well presented with all the advertised facilities in place and working.The beds were comfortable,the room air conditioned and the double glazing excellent.This was especially welcome from a noise point of view as we were in close proximity to the M5 !! AND DIDN'T HEAR A SOUND ALL NIGHT.Same said for the heavy duty blackout curtains which totally blocked out light.We enjoyed the pool and steam room on arrival (towels lockers supplied free),had an excellent breakfast both mornings where the choice on offer is too extensive to list,but you can even order fish and omelettes should you wish.The louge bar and restaurant areas are superbly comfortable and clean with real effect fires.REALLY NICE !!All the staff that we spoke to in this hotel were friendly & curteous whilst still remaining professional at all times.They were also all well presented and appeared happy.The real bonus for us was that they were all local people not the usual eastern Europeans.I get fed up of hearing that the locals don't want the unsociable low paid jobs................well they certainly do here !! I think that Holiday Inn deserve credit if this is a recruitment policy they use.I.E. local jobs for local people.Anyway............ALL THIS FOR £88.00 (for 2), oh sorry they charged us extra for the breakfast £15.00 for 2 per morning (well worth it).We'll be back next year if not before............KEEP UP THE STANDARDS PLEASE !!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
AlanNorthern, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Bromsgrove, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Thank you for your excellent comments following your recent stay with us. I was pleased to hear that all aspects of your stay exceeded your expectations. We hope to see back at the hotel, when you are next in the area.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We have just had an awful weekend at this hotel due to the terrible staffing issues and how they handle disabled customers. We arrived to a not so friendly receptionist who booked us in. I had requested a disabled room but like every other chain hotel up and down this country if you are disabled then you cannot possibly have a family and so were not allocated a disabled room. The room we were allocated though was a family room near to the swimming pool area. Every door was large and heavy to the rooms but the room doors were ultra narrow and my wifes wheelchair would not go through.
I went back to reception where the same faceless receptionist just shrugged her shoulders and said that my wife must have a wide chair as all the doorways were the same (She is a size 10 and has a custom chair!) and were of a standard size. I explained that we travel regularly and that she was incorrect. She again looked straight through me and said she was going to the back to speak to operations, she was gone 15 mins then returned without apology and said she wished to measure my wifes wheelchair. I was shocked!. We were made to feel of a lower class customer even though we were paying £85 for the night. After all this embarassment we finally were shown a different room with a standard door that should just have been allocated straight away but we then had to palm our children off in other rooms as it was a small double.
The room was of a good Holiday Inn Standard with sliding patio doors and a juliette balcony along with a quality bed and loads of pillows but then a 2 star bathroom was a let down as was the shampoo and bath foam but no shower gel!.
The hotel was of a good standard but was let down but poor quality staffing who were not trained in the correct manner in dealing with disabled guests.
Holiday Inn please offer more than 1 single disabled room in this 110 bedroom hotel, its just not good enough in 21st century.
On check out they charged me for the night but had also charged £135 to my card to pay for bar bills but instead of holding it they took the money. As we had moved rooms they did not move the pre authorisation over and so charged me twice. They have since offered me a full refund of my room charge and the £135 and gave us a bottle of wine worth £18 from the bar but feel this is justified by the way they treated us and the fact that it will be 3 - 5 days before I get my money back!

Room Tip: Request a room in the older part of the hotel to get a standard size room otherwise it is tiny!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
AlanNorthern, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Bromsgrove, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Mr Cornish, Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at the hotel. As you say in your comments you “requested” a disabled room when you booked. A request does not guarantee a disabled room, it is just a request. When you arrived the disabled room was already in use. As you also say, our disabled room does not fit 4 people into it, so when you booked on 14th July that is probably why you were not able to reserve a disabled room, and why we would not have allocated a disabled room. I am very sorry for this and I do understand your frustration. There are plans in the future to make the changes that you mention you would like to see in place.

In terms of our bedrooms, doors and accessibility, they do all conform to minimum UK DDA standards and requirements. We have one double bedded DDA compliant room in the hotel, which also meets the requirements of Holiday Inn as a brand. So whilst I appreciate our disabled facilities may not be as extensive as some hotels, we do meet all of our obligations, and it should be remembered that the building is quite old.

With regards to the staff I do not believe that all of your comments are wholly fair. The staff have no recollection of asking to measure your wife’s wheelchair, however they do remember you commenting that it has “sports wheels” on, which are wider at the bottom. They did ask if the wheelchair was a standard size, as we do have a number of wheelchair users who use our rooms with no problems. They did also offer to set up a Z bed in your room for the children. I understand why you preferred to have the space for your wife, however we did offer to try to keep you together.

With regards to your comments about the 2 star bathroom, again, as a 4 AA star Holiday Inn we do put the items in the bathroom that are requested as per the Holiday Inn brand standards which are common in all Holiday Inn’s across the country.

I am really sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations, however I do hope that it does not deter you from using the brand in the future. I was pleased to hear that you were offered the entire room complimentary, plus a nice bottle of wine from the bar, to go someway to compensate you for the inconvenience caused, including the issues at check out.

Alan Northern

Travellers are raving about these Bromsgrove hotels

Leeds
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stayed for one night on business and was very impressed. Large car park, efficient check in, room was very well appointed and very nice grounds. The sheets were especially luxurious- very soft cotton.

I used room service- which was hot and tasty. Breakfast was similarly nice. I will certainly stay again when I'm next down this way!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
AlanNorthern, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Bromsgrove, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for your excellent comments. I was pleased to hear that all aspects of your stay were well received. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Booked one night for a friend's wedding . Enjoyed the room service if a little pricey made for use of the leisure facilities including jacuzzi sauna swimming pool. Couldn't fault the staff for their service but unable to get breakfast and need to prebook as it was busy. Be careful with local taxis the one the hotel booked for us was twice as cheap as return journey with ones from bromsgrove

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ausgre68
AlanNorthern, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Bromsgrove, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Thank you for your comments following your stay. I was sorry to hear that you did not get your breakfast. There are times when the restaurant can get exceptionally busy, if everyone comes in together, but it would be most unusual if you had to wait more than 5 or 10 minutes, if at all. I hope that this does not deter you from using the hotel or the brand in the future

Cardiff, Wales, UK
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night whilst on business in the area.
My room and the bar area were fine, but the restaurant was a bit soulless really.
Bed/pillows were good and I had a decent night's sleep.

Breakfast was poor, e.g. bacon well under-cooked, so settled for cereal and a soggy croissant.
Dinner was hit and miss, my rib-eye steak was fine but my colleague's fish was terribly over-cooked and tough. Service was slow too; it took 15 minutes to receive our drinks order.

Small gym with enough to keep you occupied for a while but would be a struggle if it got busy.

Overall OK for a stopover but nothing special.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
AlanNorthern, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Bromsgrove, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Thank you for your comments. I was sorry to learn that everything was not to your satisfaction. I will certainly pass on your comments to the Restaurant Manager & Head Chef. Thank you for bringing these matters to my attention

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed here a number of times between May and October this year when I was working in Bromsgrove. The hotel side of things is fine, with comfortable rooms and friendly, helpful staff. The breakfasts are good too. Where it lets itself down is in relation to poor service in the restaurant, and I gather from colleagues who've stayed there that I wasn't the only one affected.
I ate in the restaurant a couple of times, but on one occasion encountered truly some of the worst service I have ever come across. It took 56 minutes, no less, for my main course to arrive, in spite of me reminding the staff three times, and I was literally walking out when it arrived. And they only had three tables to serve. The kitchen blamed the waitress, and she blamed the kitchen. The duty manager said it was because they were busy with room service...
The complimentary glass of wine they gave me didn't really do much to improve my mood, and they then had the temerity to give me a comments card. Not surprisingly, I gave them a panning, but did I ever get a response? Did I heck...
A shame, because this could be a very good hotel. If you want to eat there, go for a bar meal. They're ok, and the food arrives in the right century.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
AlanNorthern, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Bromsgrove, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Thank you for your comments. I was sorry to learn about the issues you have had in the restaurant. I will certainly pass these onto the Operations Manager, Restaurant Manager & Head Chef as this is clearly unacceptable. I really do hope that it does not deter you from using the hotel & brand in the future. We will endeavour to improve on these deficiences in service.

Thank you once again for bringing these matters to my attention

Alan Northern
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bromsgrove
Bromsgrove Hotel & Spa
Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
#1 of 1 in Stourport-on-Severn

Been to Holiday Inn Birmingham-Bromsgrove? Share your experiences!