“some minor faults but generally ok”

Holiday Inn Birmingham-Bromsgrove
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Bromsgrove
cleethorpes
“some minor faults but generally ok”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

i thought this stay wa sbetter than when we stayed here three years ago. was recognized as a platinum member this time but no upgrade room available room still a bit tired but clean and new tv. pool still nice. breakfasdt still variable the hot items were of mixed quality scrambled egg apparent ly reconstituted and odd tasting and the sausages very chewy and apparently red insider and undercooked however I feel this is a different sort of holiday inn and has character

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
AlanNorthern, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Bromsgrove, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thanks very much for your comments following your recent stay. I was pleased to hear that you have noticed the improvements we have made since your last stay. The room upgrade for Platinum members is only subject to availability on arrival, and I am sorry that on this occasion we did not manage to do this. I will certainly feed back your comments about the food at breakfast.

Many thanks

Alan Northern

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Polish first
Warwick
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We held our wedding here and we can't praise the hotel and the staff enough. Right from our initial viewing of the hotel, through the planning and execution of the event it was all handled perfectly. We stayed overnight in an Executive room which was fantastic, but we saw several of the standard rooms where our wedding guests stayed and these were also faultless. The food and service in the restaurant for our event meal and breakfasts the next day were also great.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
AlanNorthern, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Bromsgrove, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Many thanks for your comments following your recent use of the hotel. I was pleased to read that your special day was memorable for all of the right reasons and I will certainly feed this back to the team. I was also pleased to hear that breakfast, the most important meal of the day, was to your satisfaction.

We hope to see you back soon

Regards

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here several times over the last few weeks (probably 8+ nights) in the last 5 or so weeks while away with work.

First the good - the main reason for choosing this hotel is the availability of leisure facilities - gym and pool! Which are both good the pool is small but adequate to do a few lengths and I did enjoy aqua-aerobics on a Wednesday evening. Also the jacuzzi, steam and sauna are a nice bonus. The gym whilst again relatively small has all the equipment I required and was not overly busy.

Next the bad - the food and service in the bar area. The food quality is poor - steaks clearly cheap - fatty, chewy and lacking in any real flavour. The tuna Niçoise salad was ok but portion size was small for the price and for a main course. But the most frustrating is the service - every time we ate there (myself and colleagues) we had to go and locate staff to come and serve us. Waiting 15 minutes on several occasions even after asking. Usually once we had service it was friendly yet never efficient or of a high standard. The use of sachets for sauce etc makes it feel cheap. In fact, although we are still staying in the holiday inn we now go out and eat elsewhere as it's that poor.

And finally the average - the rooms. These do vary - I have had a range of rooms and some are better than others, the ones with a sofa in are nice and spacious. I have also had a basement room which was very small and a standard room which felt quite cramped due to all the furniture in there. The decor is a bit tired and bathrooms can look in need of a refurb. A bit of a mixed bag - also some rooms are quite noisy as you are next to the doors for the corridor which bang closed. Towels are good and rooms usually feel clean. Beds are comfy and the choice of pillow is nice.

Finally although they advertise Wifi I find this very very slow and often have been unable to connect at all.

So, although no doubt I will stay again what will bring me here is the leisure facilities definitely not the food!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
AlanNorthern, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Bromsgrove, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us. I was sorry to read that you were not happy with all aspects of your stay. With regards to the steaks, they are bought in fresh from a local supplier, and are not bought in cheaply. I am sorry that you have had a bad experience with them. With regards to staff going missing for 15 minutes, we have at least one staff member on during the day and up to 3 in the evening depending on how busy the hotel is. If there is just one on, they may have to go into the kitchen to collect food, but would certainly not be gone for 15 minutes. I am sorry if you have experienced this but will follow up on it.

We do have rooms of varying sizes. Unlike many Holiday Inns we are not purpose built as such like that, and in some ways this does add character to the building which is appealing to many guests. Our bedrooms are of a varying size, and we would allocate a larger room, on request, at check in, subject to availability. Our bathrooms are scheduled to be refurbished in the medium term.

There have been recent issues with the wifi speed and connection, but we now have free high speed wifi throughout the hotel.

I was pleased to hear that the Leisure Club, beds and linen were to your satisfaction. Please note that your comments will be passed onto the relevant people and acted upon accordingly where possible

Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed at this hotel 20th till the 22nd March and found it to be great value and really nice environment to spend a few days. When I arrived at my room I looked out the window and saw the M5 really close I thought it would be noisy but the window system completely blocks the noise and the rooms are very pleasant. It was our wedding anniversary and we had a beautiful meal in the restaurant, good choice of menu and service was fantastic. Only thing about the restaurant that found strange was I got an email to print out and get a free dessert with main course, I assumed a room for 2 and 2 starters and main course would get 2 desserts, no we had to pay for 1, a bit strange that, but the dessert was fantastic. After that dessert I used the gym the next day and although the equipment was a bit dated it was in good order and enjoyed the workout and the pool area is good too, a tiled hot tub that had really powerful jets that were great after the workout.
The breakfast was really the highlight for me, the produce was top notch, and buffet style was always plenty to eat.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
AlanNorthern, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Bromsgrove, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thanks for your great overall comments following your recent stay with us. I will pass on your comments about the complimentary desserts to the relevant people for review. I was pleased that you were impressed with breakfast, which is the most important meal of the day. We hope to see you back at the hotel soon!!!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This was booked by my daughter so that we could get to her tournament on the Saturday morning, stayed on Friday 14th March. She booked an accessible room for herself, which was quite good, except the angles were not goo to get in. Bathroom was a good size, but not a wet room, so that was the only down side.
Also got a free carers room, Holiday Inn policy, so have to say what a good thing that is. Had three rooms altogether, the two non accessible rooms had windows that opened up, with rails outside the windows, so you could let the fresh air in, if you wanted. The free wi-fi is good, but disappointing there is no sky sports channels in the room, Holiday Inn Castle Marina has this, but does not have free wi-fi in all areas, wonder why there is different things available in the same brand at different places?
That said, we went to the bar to have a snack for our evening meal, and the helpful barman said that we could have the restaurant menu if we required it in the bar area, which is huge. Also very helpful when we asked if we could watch the rugby league game that was on that night, and he gave us custody of the remote, as he said other people may change it, so apologies to the family of four girls, and I assume their parents who were also staying that night, we had the remote!!
Bed was very comfortable, and the room was warm, so had to turn the air conditioning down. But was nice to be able to open up the window and get the air in.
Shower was reasonable, bit cold to start with until I got used to the control. Breakfast was the usual fare for a Holiday Inn, good choice of cooked buffet breakfast food, at the front of the hotel.
There was also a "quadrangle" which I assume was there for wedding photographs, as there was a trestle in there, and the doors did not appear to be open.
Also have to mention the receptionist who was on duty when we arrived, was very helpful, friendly and informative.
Would definitely recomment this hotel to others,

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
AlanNorthern, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Bromsgrove, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write an extensive review of the hotel. I was very pleased to read that on the whole you were very satisfied with your stay. With regards to Sky Sports and wifi, all of the Holiday Inns are franchised and operated by different owners. We have certain minimum standards we have to operate towards, however there is a degree of flexibility allowed over and above this. Whilst we dont have Sky Sports in the bedrooms, we do have it in the Bar/Lounge area. We believe out of the 2 things you mention, in this day and age it is more important to a guest to have this free wifi internet access throughout, and I hope you enjoyed the service this provided.

I will certainly pass on your feedback to the team throughout, who you have praised. We hope to see you back at the hotel when you are next in the area!

Lowton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This booking was for a birthday treat (for myself) the hotel is an absolute gem & beats other well known hotels in the area hands down!
The service was outstanding, the room was spotless, extremely comfortable (air-con where you can select your own temperature - makes a refreshing change from the usual one temperature fits all that you tend to get in most hotels)

The facilities at this hotel are outstanding & we absolutely loved our stay - we will definitely be back soon

• Stayed March 2014
Manyb thanks for your excellent review. I was pleased to read that all aspects of your stay were excellent and that you had a memorable birthday. I will certainly ensure that these comments are forwarded onto the team.

We hope to see you back soon!!

Everywhere
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Well I've read through some of the reviews on this site and it does flabbergast me how people can be so picky... Salad cream on the menu... So what? Only 11 channels on the tv... use your computer, the WiFi is FREE... Jeez, Get a life!
I stayed here with my son and cannot fault the courtesy of the young staff, the pool and spa (v. friendly chap on the desk), the room, the bed or the excellent buffet breakfast. I paid Travelodge prices for a four star hotel.
Well done to the Manager and Staff - Dealing with the general public can be an unrewarding task at times and I don't envy you. Thank you for making our stay most excellent.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
AlanNorthern, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Bromsgrove, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you for your first class review. I was pleased to read that everything was to your satisfaction and exceeded your expectations. Guest expectation in the hospitality industry can be demanding and it certainly keeps us on our toes! We do however, welcome all types of feedback!

We hope to see you back at the hotel soon!

Regards

Alan Northern
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bromsgrove
Bromsgrove Hotel & Spa
Grafton Manor
Grafton Manor
#7 of 8 in Bromsgrove
Travelodge Bromsgrove Marlbrook

Been to Holiday Inn Birmingham-Bromsgrove? Share your experiences!