“pleasant afternoon tea”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 13 August 2014

A rather nice afternoon tea with voucher. Quite simple but tasty. Would not find the full price good
Value, but more than adequate with the voucher. Would recommend for a pleasant afternoon and chat with friends.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

First of all, I do love Epi and I'm so glad it's in Bromsgrove. We first ate here when it was a pop-up. We just returned and took two of our foodie friends. As Londoners I think they were impressed with the fact you can eat a five course tasting menu for £35.

The August menu suited our tastes better than the July menu but this is clearly a personally choice. With this type of restaurant I know you have to trust the chef to have put together a good tasting plate of food even if the main ingredient is not your personal favourite.

We all LOVED the chef's snacks, love the concept of them, loved the execution. Delicous and fun. But then there was a really big gap before even the bread came out. The bread is delicious and we all wanted to steal your cool butter knives. You should get them engraved with Epi and give them out!

The first course of squab pigeon and urban cherries was great, loved the flavour combination, but the skin needed crisping up some more me to eat it. The second course of crab and cucumber was not my personal favourite. 2 out of 4 of the table really quite liked it but two of us had quite significant amounts of shell in the crab. I have to say that for where I think Epi is aiming this isn't acceptable and it really detracted from the only overall experience. For the third course we had tasting of carrot. This was a popular dish for us, I liked it a lot and felt it was seasoned great. One person thought the puree/sauce was over salty but I loved it. The fourth and "main" course was guinea foul and sweetcorn. This is an excellent dish and a really good size. Significantly larger than the other courses. We all loved it and ate every single thing on the plate. The guinea foul was cooked superbly and I loved the mushroom. Again, if I am going to eat skin it needs to be properly crispy but everything else was spot on. The fifth course of strawberry trifle was great and a lovely finish to the meal. There was a logan berry element on the plate which 3 out of 4 of us thought was a bit too sour. I just put a little but on the spoon with cream and strawberry and thought it was perfectly balanced and delicious, but I was in the minority on this one.

Epi is great and the staff are lovely. It's redecorated now which helps massively. I think the chef(s)? show such talent and imagination - even if I don't personally adore every single flavour combination I totally respect what they are aiming for.

For this to get 5 starts from me again I think they need to improve the consistency of the presentation. The 4 plates rarely come to the table looking the same and sometimes needed a final wipe around the edges. I'd have like the wine pairing but the whole table needs to partake which is a shame. That's rarely going to happen in my opinion. For an upmarket restaurant it should accept American Express which it does not. I know this costs more but as the customer frankly I don't care.

Friendly note to the Epi people. Throw those salt and pepper grinders away and get something more fitting with the rest of your restaurant. You have lovely decor now, super cool butter knives we wanted to steal, some of the most amazing plates I've every seen which are different for each course but you have awful plastic salt and pepper grinders. I wanted to put them in the bin just to force you to get something else. I suppose it's a good sign that this fact even makes it in to the "review" :-)

Thanks to the team for another super meal, we truly hope you are hugely successful and we'll be back in a few weeks I'm sure!

1  Thank Richard H
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Went on recommendation and we weren't disappointed. Clearly a very skilled chef who has created a well balanced menu. We had seven courses which included extra tasters so we were very satisfied at the end of the evening. Service was very good and it was lovely that each course was presented with detail about the local produce used. Reminds me of the level of service you receive in a restaurant with accolades. Only thing l would say is that it would have been nice if they asked a few more personal introductory questions or made more small talk when serving.
Really good value and so will definitely be going back. Thank you for a lovely evening

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We were really looking forward to our meal as we had heard so many positive reviews from our friends. We were using a voucher which my husband was given by his brother for a milestone birthday as he knew how much we wanted to eat here. My husband and I ate here on Friday 1st August. We had looked at the set taster menu online and deliberately did not book a table until August as my husband does not like liver or goats cheese - both of which were on the July menu. However when we arrived we were given the July menu. We were not the only table to be surprised - the other 2 tables in that evening also had thought that it would be a different menu. Perhaps the month should be left off the menu to avoid this occurring in the future. Also, we were not asked whether we would like to order any potatoes or vegetables with our main course (4th course). We tried to order them when the 3rd course arrived, the waitress said that she would ask the chef. She returned saying that our lamb would be ruined and that we should have ordered them before - yet we were never asked! The food was good, but not outstanding and the evening was slightly marred by the fact that my husband could not eat everything. When he mentioned this - he was told he could just have beetroot salad - which isnt the most appealing option! I think someone at a neighbouring table was offered herring as a replacement for the goats cheese, but we were not given this alternative.

1  Thank F B
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My friend and I had really been looking forward to our afternoon tea here, especially after reading all the brilliant reviews.
I have to say, we had purchased a voucher for a very special price,and for that, it was definitely a bargain.
However, the service was very slow, and we had to go downstairs to find a member of staff when we needed something, also had to ask a couple of times for the milk to go with the coffee.
The food was top quality,very fresh,and presented in a quaint way, inside a picnic basket.
The chefs looked very clean and proffessional in their whites, but we thought the waitresses would have looked lovely in a smart, modern/traditional uniform.
We left feeling very full and satisfied. :)
Obviously this is our individual oppinion of our own experience.

3  Thank Jane C