“one night stay”

The Griffin Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 St Helens B&B and Inns
“one night stay”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I booked my elderly mother in for one night. £48 for the room is fine, but the room had a brown theme throughout but could have done with a touch of colour. Either some nice colourful pictures or a vase and flowers. Looked rather dull and cold when we opened the door.

Also, there was no welcome really. All the staff on getting there and when we paid seemed pre-occupied - no smiles. Staff looked unhappy. My mother said there was a lot of breakfast but the omelette she had lacked any flavour - the cooked breakfast is a bit overpriced at £7 ! She tried to start up a conversation with a cellar man but he seemed a bit challenged.

Shame, as I had my wedding reception there 12 years ago and the staff then were outgoing and friendly. So wouldn't book here again I'm afraid, unless desperate for a room. No live music either in the evening.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank LillywhiteSpurs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reviewed 20 March 2014

very attentive, friendly service excellent value, very large outside area for sunnier days , the pub is very true to tradition and in keeping with its interior. very enjoyable evening, multi areas to sit and surprisingly private .

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My partner & I stayed at The Griffin Inn for my birthday weekend break as it was handy for Knowlsley Safari Park and also for Liverpool. It's certainly a mixed bag! Overall, we had a very good stay, but as my family are in the hotel trade I can't help but look for/spot things that perhaps wouldn't bother other people. Our first impression, having arrived around 5pm Friday after a long drive I have to say was not great - we walked in by the main entrance and straight into the bar, which looks of course like many bars and we were stood quite a while, before being acknowledged and told to wait around the corner, which we did (& then found the reception desk, which actually is near the rear entrance). I have to say we were disheartened to be stood there a while, especially as there was a member of the kitchen staff behind the desk, and although we appreciate he is not a/the receptionist, he didn't even acknowledge us. My partner was thinking about leaving and finding somewhere else as we felt like we were putting people out - not how you want to feel when you arrive somewhere. A chap eventually came to attend to us who was pleasant, but didn't necessarily need to explain they were having problems in the kitchen! Still, we checked into our room (room 1) and were satisfied with it. There has clearly been some thought put into the rooms as although small (again, I was disappointed to see the room next to ours was a lot bigger for the same money as we were leaving but hey ho!) the rooms are well thought out, the bed is comfortable, I found the room a bit cold but there was a nice thick blanket & extra pillows in the wardrobe, the tv mounted on the wall is a nice touch and the huge shower head is immensely good! There was a switch for towel heater, yet no towel heater in the bathroom, though not really an issue, more a point! The blackout blinds are a great touch! However I did find with our room, as we faced straight onto the entrance/busy road and were right next to the bar it could be very noisy at times. But, for £48 per night all things considered we were happy with the room. We decided to eat here on the Friday evening and the food was very nice indeed, as it was my birthday we had puddings and the chef kindly put a little "happy birthday" on my sweet with a candle, which again was a nice touch - however, yet again because of my family business I found it unnecessary to be informed by a waited that most of the puddings are bought in because of a new chef etc and the food will be better in a few weeks! Hm! We had breakfast the Saturday morning, which was beautiful and again on the Sunday morning, which again was beautiful but 2 different servers on the days = two totally different breakfasts, extra sausage on the Sunday but no tomatoes! I think consistency is the overall "problem" really, as the staff do try to be very helpful, even if they do unwittingly put their foot in it at times. I did say to my partner that I would hazard a guess that a blonde lady who was present the Friday night, for my money, is the owner as there was a clear difference in how staff were/acted when she was around to when she wasn't - for instance there was at least 2 occasions I saw on duty staff drinking at the bar when this lady was not around - it's not a problem to see staff drinking off duty but I find it a little unprofessional for the barman to be stood having a pint! We were a little disappointed to hear an argument, whether real or playful, coming from the kitchen on Sunday morning as foul language was being used - moreso becuase there was a young boy with his father having breakfast also. We are by no means prudish, but it's just not the kind of thing you would like to hear when you're away is it?! Also, having added an extra night as we wanted to visit Liverpool again, I had to ask a member of staff to re-code our swipe in key (knowing this would need doing) which didn't work, but a cleaner kindly let us in, again bless giving too much info out and telling me about the problems with the door locking on room 9 which have been a problem for at least 2 weeks - as a guest I don't need to know this! Also, on our way out we requested some clean towels which never arrived.

All in all though I have to say the place grew on us and the niggles we did have are outweighed by the willingness to help of staff and the food - bought in or otherwise and yes, we would return, though I wouldn't like to stay in room 1 again just because it's a little noisy. The rooms are certainly worth the money and all in all are comfortable. Don't be put off as I think The Griffin Inn is good value, and I have read that that the drinks are "pricey" but my partner & I didn't think so.

Room Tip: Ask for a room further back if you like quiet :)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank clairabella_p
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Called in on the recommendation of a lady I was with.
Made welcome by the main man. Not rushed into making any decision, which suits me , as I don't do rush.
Bit busy with Christmas family groups still meeting up. Not a problem.
Sky football on, so when I return , I will make sure that football isn't on.
Food selection good, and well presented.
Real ale selection was very good.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JAB579
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Booked for 5 on Xmas Day 2013. Had to book in late August to ensure places (but this is the same at every place in our region!). Table was ready on arrival and was decorated very tastefully. Crackers were luxury type. Meals were very quick to arrive and the staff were more than attentive and quick to check with us if everything was ok. Meals were exquisite and extremely well presented. Portions were more than sufficient and we all left, around 2 hours later, feeling that a wonderful time had been had by all.
The Griffin is located about 10-mins walk from our home, so we have eaten there on several occasions. The standards of service and quality of meals have always been high. The Xmas Day meal was typical of what we have come to expect. Fantastic.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Chris S
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We ate here, as a family of five, in the Restaurant, on Boxing Day. We were seated promptly and looked after by the staff from the minute we sat down. When we had booked, we pre-ordered the food and our children decided they wanted to change their selections on the last minute, which was not a problem for the staff. Each course came perfectly timed - no waiting around. The restaurant was almost full and so was the pub section with a good atmosphere. The food was delicious: the lamb in particular was cooked to perfection. Only one small complaint was that the Christmas pudding was a little bit dry. We come to The Griffin to eat about once a month and we usually eat in the pub section, every time we eat here we are not disappointed. Lucky for us it is walkable from where we live too. Keep up the good work Griffin.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Louise N
Liverpool
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I have been dining here for many years and visited again last Saturday with family. There was plenty of choice on the menu and some had the special 3 course menu and others chose from the a la carte menu. What makes this restaurant so good is the friendly staff and the fact that if you don't like what a dish is served with they will supply an alternative if posible.
I have booked again for the christmas menu with my fellow bell ringers and looking forward to it already.
A good homely atmosphere with good food at a reasonable price.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Holiday Inn Haydock M6, Jct 23
#1 of 1 in Newton-Le-Willows
Village Hotel Liverpool
Travelodge Liverpool Stonedale Park

Been to The Griffin Inn? Share your experiences!