“Average” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 135 Restaurants in Wokingham
Price range: US$9 - US$36
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: At Zizzi we like to do things a little differently. We don't do over-complicated recipes or scrimpy portion sizes. We're all about the well-chosen ingredients, simply put together to make exceptional Italian food.Our Wokingham restaurant is situated right of Broad Street, next to the High Street. Take a gander around the old market town and then rest your weary legs at ours and have a bite to refuel. The chefs table allows a close up view of the kitchen at work, while leather booths and the conservatory area are perfect for a more private dining experience. If you're ever in the area, come see the Mulberry bushes, the Tudor houses and Zizzi. And if you're celebrating something special our party menus are perfect!
Virginia Water, United Kingdom
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

One of many (too many) Italian restaurants in Wokingham. Food is ok, service is ok but for the price it is all abit anticlimactic! Decorated very well and the terrace garden out the front it very nice in good weather.

Bracknell, United Kingdom
“A calamity and felt scammed by children's meal prices.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

We headed here with some eagerness, previous Zizzi experiences elsewhere having been very good. However, we left feeling irritated by the service and noise and ripped off by their bambini option.

Their children's meals have to be the worst value of any chain.

First, the oils on the table were dappled with crumbs, not wiped. The new menu wasn't very appealing as the majority of the new offerings were seafood-based. And the waiter (or manager, being a mature man in plain clothes) was brusque and snatchy. Attentive, yes, with a perfect if forced smile, but he didn't really engage and all but ignored our little boy when staff in most places are usually cheery and bubbly with him.

The garlic bread was a touch overcooked with some 'bubbles' that tasted as burnt as they looked blackened. Our main courses were very nice, it has to be said. But my wife's dessert, one of the new sundaes, was extremely poorly presented. The banana chopped over it looked like a two year old had done it, with a plastic spoon. Giant horrid slabs of banana swamping the otherwise tiny bit of ice cream and sauce served in a stylish but tiny metal receptacle. My chocolate and banana calzone was nice, but tough to cut and eat with the blunt spoon that was all I was given.

The children's Bambini menu is the worst value children's menu in all the chains by a long way, paling massively against all other offerings. With no drink included, we asked for orange for our little boy, expecting squash. He got pure orange with bits in (which few four year olds like), so we asked for apple for him, which he liked. While we never imagined the second drink would be free, (I drank his first as it wasn't taken away, so I assumed we'd be charged and I may as well drink it, fair enough as it was officially our error), our bill had his two drinks charged at £2.35. £4.70 for two small plastic cups of juice!!!!! We sure found out why several friends with children had told us to steer well clear of Zizzi recently. Sure, our little boy's pizza was among the better of those he has in these places, but once you have to pay £2.35 for a teeny-tiny drink, it comes to £9 for a few doughsticks, a smaller pizza, two dots of ice cream and much-maligned tiny drink. Too much when we've had as much or more for around the £6 mark at other chains.

Plus, we felt tense due to a loud telephone ringing several times (like in an office, or a low-brow Indian restaurant taking orders at night) and TWO occasions where waiters dropped cutlery right by us. Plus, we thought we'd been shot when the waiter/manager banged some element of a nearby coffee machine several times in quick succession!

Our plates were taken barely a second after we put our knives down and while our little boy was still eating. A tad annoying.

Most of the diners were elderly, and I was at first surprised to see only three families with children in there on an Easter holiday weekday. Now we've been ripped off by the children's menu, I can say we've now learned that Zizzi does not seem to want children in its restaurants. We shan't be returning. For a while at least. Zizzi are usually good, but something was amiss here. Lovely main courses, but almost everything else was a calamity.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Surrey
“Lunch visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

First time in Zizzi's as generally go to Prezzo or Pizza Express. I like the layout of the restaurant, service was very good. We had the pizzas and I thought they were better than the other chains in Wokingham. Look forward to going back.

London, United Kingdom
“Best pizzas in town!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Stick to the pizzas and salads here, don't bother with things like fish pie - not what they're good at but the pizzas really are the best around.

Visited August 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Back to its usual good standards!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

The last time I visited Zizzi in 2013, my husband and I left a little disappointed and underwhelmed by the food. When I visited with a group of friends on 8th Feb this year, I'm pleased to say that the food was really good and back to its usual high standards.

I had the risotto balls to start, followed by a mushroom pizza and ice cream to finish. All get a thumbs up and I will return again with my husband next time. Glad to see that an apple crumble and lemon tart have now been included in the dessert menu.

And to top it off, very good service! Compliments to the waiters and chefs.