“Lovely pies!”

Wokingham Gourmet Kitchen
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Great to have a new restaurant in Wokingham that isnt an indian or an italian!

I went to WGK with my girlfriend and another couple on the first week of opening. I had the spring rolls to start which were very good and the pies which were awesome! Girlfriend had the fish and chips which was some of the best I've tasted, highly recommended and the other couple both had burgers which they said were fantastic.

The staff were very friendly and welcoming and the prices are very fair indeed.

Nice touch with the emphasis being on local, with ingriedients and artwork sourced locally and as a local I will be visiting more in the future.

3  Thank Adam J

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Went here with my dad on the opening night. Was very warmly greeted by their extremely friendly staff and led upstairs to the beautifully decorated lounge. I chose to have wings to start and burger and chips as main. My dad went for the fish and chips.

The wings were excellent, burger a very high quality and the chips were some of the best I've ever tasted, as many have mentioned on here. My dad even complimented the fish and chips (a big thing for a northerner to admit!).

I have since been back for takeaways a few times and tried other dishes on the menu. The curry sauce is devine and my new favourite is the chicken burger, which I enjoyed even more than the steak burger. The pies come highly recommended as well.

It's my favourite place to go in Wokingham and will be getting a regular takeaway from here for some time to come.

4  Thank Wokinghamalexf
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Lovely little restaurant - especially the upstairs which was quite a surprise as we didn't know it was there! Staff really friendly and welcoming. Interesting menu that is certainly different to everything else in Wokingham. However, we are both veggie and were disappointed in the limited choice (a couple of starters, one main and one salad). We both ordered the felafal and, whilst it was nice, we were disappointed by how small it was for the cost (£5.95 for 3 felafal balls on a small flat pitta with a few salad leaves and a teaspoon of coleslaw and relish). We were pleased that we had ordered a side of chips each which were very good. We mentioned the lack of choice to the waiter and he did say that they were looking at this, so we will keep watching. We'd like to go back but would like to see more choice and better value for vegetarians.

4  Thank Ros T
Simon906, Manager at Wokingham Gourmet Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

Thank-you for taking the time to write a review.

We are a small business run by a local family and we take pride in being part of, and responsive to, the local community.

Our friends on Facebook and Twitter have already been very busy making suggestions for additions to our menu. We now offer a Sunday Roast and Bangers & Mash.

For people with special dietary requirements, we also now offer gluten-free burgers and burger buns.

We see no reason why we shouldn't expand the vegetarian options on the menu too. If you let us know what sort of dish you'd like to see and we can make it work then it will be a permanent addition to the menu.

Thanks again,

WGK

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Ate here while on a business trip, of the 10 restaurants I visited, this was by far the best and I can Thoroughly recommend it. The traditional food with a twist was fantastic but nevertheless honest and genuine. The staff we very friendly and the atmosphere relaxed.

3  Thank Amy M
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Visited the WGK recently and was very impressed. Downstairs is kind of like a takeaway and quite light, not really the place to sit for a romantic evening meal. But we were seated upstairs which was very nice. There is also art on display from local artists on the walls.

I ordered cod and chips. The fish was fairly large and the chips were the best I had ever tasted. It also came with mushy peas in a small glass container, very pretty. I was a little disappointed bread and butter wasn't on the menu, but I asked and they provided this anyway.

The price was very reasonable and the menu is very impressive with traditional english food like Pie and Mash also on the menu.

The only complaint I have is that the bill took too long to arrive. It must have been at least a 10 minute wait and the waiter had to hand write this and add it up manually which took ages.

I would definately recommend this place to others and I will be back again soon.

3  Thank jaspence01