“One night experience”
Review of The Dukes Head

The Dukes Head
Ranked #8 of 9 Wokingham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed for one night, pre-booked at £85.00 to attend a local birthday party.
Room was small, beds were cheap put-me-up types.
Carpet was marked and filthy.
Absolutely no clothes space, wordrobes ect: Only one bedside table and light.
Plaster coming off dirty walls.
Breakfast in dirty backroom bar of pub. Cutlery and tables dirty.

Room Tip: Keep away!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Adrian T, Owner at The Dukes Head, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

We are sorry that you have not been satisfied with your most recent stay. Not having the detail of your name or room number and can not add further comment to the "put me up" beds or plaster off the wall. All rooms have double beds and our extra beds are "put me up", but we did not have any requests for extra beds the week end of your stay. If you are passing through Wokingham again, let me know and I would welcome the opportunity to look after you again.

Reviewed 3 July 2013

As a regular visitor to Wokingham I started to try out the local B&Bs and this was one of my first experiences... I hasten to add that I didn't return and have subsequently found from testing others that if you're looking for a cost-effective and good B&B, go to the Warneford House B&B (see my other review).

The Dukes Head wasn't cheap for a B&B considering the dirty room across the car park which was noisy (as it was right next to the main road). The breakfast for me was the main disappointment, the proprietor was health and safety nightmare, he was grubby and scruffy and the food mirrored his exterior. The outlay was poor and the cooked breakfast was embarrassing - worst B&B I've experienced.

I'm surprised they are still in business.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Sorry you felt a response was now needed after your stay in November. If we are made aware at the time of your stay you were not satisfied with your breakfast, I would have endeavoured to rectify the situation. If you are staying in the area again, please let me know directly and we can look at putting right any of your feedback.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Stayed here 7 nights over 2 weeks on business at the end of April. Great location 2min walk from town centre. Stayed in a double ensuite room in a converted outbuilding. Good sized room with good sized bathroom. Only thing lacking was wardrobe space but not a real problem if staying on your own. Host Adrian was very attentive and nothing was too much trouble for him, he cooks a good breakfast as well! Ate in the bar several nights. Well kept beer, Pedigree especially good. Good choices on the menu and reasonable prices. If you need a good value place to stay central to wokingham then I highly recommend the Dukes Head.

• Stayed: April 2013
Adrian T, Owner at The Dukes Head, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Stu, Thank you very much for your feedback. Julie and I are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Dukes Head and it is always good to have feedback on my beer. We hope to see you here again in the very near future. regards Adrian and Julie.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

Pre-stay review to acknowledge excellent customer service from Adrian at The Dukes Head in coordinating our trip. I am planning a trip mid-May with my 2 year-old, and Adrian has been very responsive and helpful in answering questions and concerns about a potential stay with a young one (they are 'child-friendly'). Looking forward to our visit to Wokingham and stay at TDH!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Adrian T, Owner at The Dukes Head, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2013

We look forward to welcoming you "home" and trust you will have an enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 2 April 2013

Adrian and Julie hosted my wife Sarah's 40th brthday party on the 23/03/13, Adrian provided us with various options for food, music etc and we settled on what in my opinion was an excellent deal for a full Hog Roast, two types of buffet, a variety of salads and side dishes with disco included.

It was an absolutely fantastic evening, we had IRO 70 guests, (several of whom stayed in the accomodation), and the food was excellent and in abundance; the Hog was cooked to perfection, (cracklin was served in beer glasses) and the buffet dishes were fantastic and very popular with our guests. The quality of the food was in a word "superb" and was certainly a WOW factor for the evening.

Nothing was too much trouble for Adrian and he worked really hard to ensure that we were happy and that everyone was having a good time. The ladies loved the disco as much as the chap's enjoyed the Hog Roast and the excellent beer - oh, and did I mention the excellent beer!!!

Adrian and Julie are both exceptional and generouos hosts, both Sarah and I have no hesitation in highly reccomending them, their food and their establishment and wish them every success in the future.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 180RichardH180
Adrian T, Owner at The Dukes Head, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2013

Thank you very much for your kind words and we are pleased that your wife enjoyed her 40th birthday party. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Dukes Head in the near future. Best regards, Adrian and Jule Taylor

Reviewed 18 March 2013

Welcoming and warm. Friendly and fun. A good traditional local pub at its best.
Excellent and reasonable bed and breakfast facilities - with hospitable staff who do everything they can to ensure a comfortable stay. Relax in the evening by visiting the bar, enjoying a great pub dinner and downing a few glasses of wine and, if it's Friday, join in with the singsong supported by selections made on the jukebox....
Ideally located for access to Wokingham town centre, and the station if you're planning to visit London.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Adrian T, Owner at The Dukes Head, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Daisy D, thank you very much for your feed back. We are pleased that you enjoyed your most recent visit to the Dukes Head and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 3 March 2013

An absolute belter of a place, very welcoming staff, the food was excellent and I'm happy to say so was the beer! The Dukes Head is a credit to the town, thanks for your hospitality we will certainly be back as soon as possible.

Well played all round.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank guildfordhotel
Adrian T, Owner at The Dukes Head, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2013

Thank you verymuch for your recent review. Julie and I are pleased you enjoyed your visit to the pub, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wokingham
Cantley House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Charvil
3 mi away
Holiday Inn Reading M4 Jct 10
Hilton St Anne's Manor, Bracknell
Premier Inn Reading South (Grazeley Green)

Been to The Dukes Head? Share your experiences!