“Nice hotel with some issues”

Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis/South I-55
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mehlville
Reviewed 13 June 2014

As a Hilton Honors member, my husband and I have stayed at a number of Hilton properties, including many Hampton Inns. This is a nice Hampton Inn, but we did experience some issues, which may or may not be issues for others. I had tried to book a standard king room, including calling the hotel directly, but there were no standard king rooms available, so I booked a standard room with two queen beds, checking the selection that the room I wanted was not available at booking and hoping a standard king room would be available at check-in. A standard king room was not available when my husband checked us in, but they upgraded us to a king studio suite, which was very nice of the desk clerk to do. However, it turns out the studio suites have some quirks the standard rooms do not. In the suites, the AC unit is on the living area / couch side of the room, and is separated from the sleeping / bed side of the room by a long desk unit, a set up which we discovered makes it harder to cool off the bed side of the room. The first night we ended up being too warm, so the second night we set the thermostat to 62 degrees to get the bed side of the room comfortable. Also, in the suites, the sink is outside the bathroom, which makes it difficult for the early riser to get ready without the light and sound disturbing the person still trying to sleep. There is a nightlight by the sink, but not in the bathroom, so if going into the bathroom during the night, one has to choose to turn on the bright bathroom light or close the door and be in darkness. A nightlight would be beneficial in the bathroom. We didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, so to speak, after being given an upgrade, but in retrospect, we likely would have been more comfortable in a standard room, even with queen beds instead of a king, just because of the AC and sink issues. Also, we could hear the occupant(s) of the room above us walking around while we were trying to sleep, which made us aware that any occupant(s) below us could hear us moving around. Additionally, the sodas we got from the vending machine had expiration dates from the beginning of May, and we were there at the end of the month. Although not a big deal, it did demonstrate that the vendor hadn't removed expired product. The staff was friendly, the hotel and our room appeared to be clean, and we had no issues with housekeeping. The suites are designed the way they are, and may not bother others, but it can be helpful to be aware of such things.

Room Tip: If you are in a suite, be aware you may need to set the thermostat low to cool off the bed side of t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HamptonI55, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis/South I-55, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our staff and the cleanliness of our hotel. I am sorry about the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. Our standard King rooms are our highest demand rooms and we sell out of them very quickly. I am sorry that none were available during your visit, but hopefully we will have the opportunity to have you stay with us again when one is available.

Hospitably,

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Came in late at night to a very positive reception. To room quickly and efficiently. Room was clean and ready. Room was quiet for a great rest. Morning breakfast offered a great variety with a pleasant service.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to share your experience with others. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay from everything to the rooms, breakfast and staff. I hope that we will have the opportunity to see you again.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

This hotel had very nice accomodations, the customer service was excellent, and the staff was over-the-top friendly! We had a few unexpected visitors and the hotel staff assisted us in hosting our 8 impromptu guests with a big room to use for a few hours while we visited. We had such a great weekend we will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
HamptonI55, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis/South I-55, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. It is great to hear that you had the opportunity to hang out with friends and family during your visit, and that we were able to help with accommodations for everyone. I am also happy to hear that we can look forward to seeing you again, hopefully in the near future.

Your St. Louis Hampton Staff,

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at that location 4 times now in about 2.5 years and the place is still keeping the quality of service up!

The staff is it's feature that stands out from all other hotels, including it's own brand in other locations! A certain example for the rest of the same brand hotels to follow! I haven't found another Hampton Inn like it.

The rooms have always been very clean.

The breakfast is getting better. The last time I reviewed the orange juice and scrambled eggs they left little to be desired. Now they are much better.

Don't forget at 8pm is fresh baked cookies and milk! :)

When im in Saint Louis again I don't think I'll ever stay anywhere else!

Hope I helped!

Stayed: June 2014

Wow! Thank you so much for your high praises, and for continuing to stay with us time and time again. It is great to hear that over the years you still feel that we have kept up the quality of service and that you continually find everything to be excellent. It is also great to hear that you have found our breakfast items improving. Hampton Inn has been working hard on getting out new products and changing the type of eggs, potatoes, fruit, etc. that we serve. So to hear that you feel the change has been for the good, means a lot. We look forward to your next stay with us, and to catch up with what new things have happened since we last met.

Your Hampton Inn Staff,

Reviewed 2 June 2014

This Hampton Inn has wonderful, friendly helpful staff who go above and beyond. The rooms were updated and very clean and we had a wonderful stay. Highly recommend this Hampton to anyone traveling in St. Louis

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bonnie A

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to write a review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff to go above and beyond during your visit. Thank you for recommending us, and we hope to see you during your next visit to St. Louis.

Your St. Louis Place to Stay,

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Upon walking in at 8pm freshly baked cookies and milk were offered complimentary. The staff was so kind and gave me menus and driving directions to all areas of interest in Saint Louis.

The pool area had toys and life jackets for kids.

I could not have asked for a better room or service.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Richelle B

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor and for your kind words. It is great to hear that you were able to enjoy our fresh baked cookies in the evening and that we were able to help out for food and attractions for around town. We hope to have the opportunity to see you again, maybe even in the near future.

Your St. Louis Hampton Inn,

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is our 2nd trip to St. Louis for the baseball games in the past 12 months. We stayed at this hotel both times. We were very pleased with last year's trip and were even more pleased with our experience this year. The only minor issues was the pillows and regulating the temperature in the room. Great location for access to/from Busch Stadium.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with others, and for continuing to stay with us. It is great to hear that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stays with us and have enjoyed our location for attending the ball games. I am sorry about the inconvenience of the pillows and temperature. We do have memory foam pillows on hand as a third pillow option, upon availability, so that might be a way for us to help you during your next visit. We also can always re-adjust our economically friendly AC/Heating units if they seem to not be working properly. So please, never hesitate to let us know if something isn't 100% satisfactory. :) We look forward to your next visit with us, and go Cardinals!

Your St. Louis Place to Stay,

(314) 894-1900

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mehlville
Downtown
Hampton Inn - St. Louis Downtown at the Gateway Arch
Best Western St. Louis Inn
#1 of 1 in Tesson Ferry
Downtown
Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis/South I-55? Share your experiences!