Bellevue House
National Hotel(New Shoreham)
US$236
US$213
Travelocity
Spring House Hotel(New Shoreham)
US$333
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Hotel Manisses(Block Island)(Great Value!)
US$259
The Break(Narragansett)
US$409
Ballard's(New Shoreham)
  • Beachfront
Island Manor Resort(New Shoreham)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Free Internet
All reviewslilac roommaster suitesterling housebagelseasy walk into townblock islandminute walkgreat place for familygeneral storesized bedwe loved our stayfamily vacationgreat weekendbeautiful propertyown bathroomair conditioningstayed two nights
Reviewed 14 September 2012

We couldn't sleep because of a noisy bed (loud springs), and couldn't get a hot shower in the morning because the shower fixture didn't function. Management denies problem. Overpriced for the low quality.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pete S
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We stayed one night in the Northwest Room of the Bellevue House on a Friday night in August 2012. We chose the Bellevue House in part because it was one of the only places that offered one-night stays on the island, and in part because it seemed reasonably priced compared to the other options on the island.

I can't say that I was disappointed because my expectations were extremely low, but it's never a good thing when extremely low expectations are met. About the only positive was the location - it's a 5-7 minute walk from the Point Judith Ferry and is just far enough from town to be quiet. Everything else was pretty bad. The staff are from Block Island Accommodation Service and seemed like high school/college students with no real interest or training in hospitality. Don't expect anything close to "B&B" style service - think more Motel 6.

The North East room was small and cramped, with two uncomfortable beds scrunched up together. There was a closet and a fan, but that was about it. Bathroom was shared with the East Room. This was fine in most cases, except that there was absolutely no alternative in the house (if you needed to use the bathroom and it was occupied, your only option was to go out to the kitchen area to a scary, dark room with a shower and toilet - this room was filthy beyond belief with wet toilet paper and insects crawling on the toilet). The wireless Internet didn't connect in the room and barely connected in the kitchen area, and the staff weren't able to fix this.

The worst/funniest part of the entire experience was the so-called "breakfast," which consisted of store-bought muffins, bagels, fruit, cereal, and toast. There was supposedly "home-made muesli", which we actually saw being home-made (a staff member throwing a bunch of stuff from the store together into a bowl). [I'm not sure why TripAdvisor considers this place a B&B at all -
I've stayed at crappy motels that offer better breakfasts and TA certainly doesn't consider these B&B's].

In summary, I can't recommend the Bellevue House at all (and I imagine the other properties run by Block Island Accommodation Service, like the Windmere House, offer a similar experience). I'd be more inclined to be more lenient if the place was run by a family that was trying hard, instead of a for-profit institution that has no real commitment to the idea of hospitality.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank traveldoc42
BIAccommodations, Owner at Bellevue House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2012

Dear guest,

I am sorry to hear that your initial expectations of our inn were low upon booking, before even stepping foot on Block Island and that when you arrived you were not pleased with your stay.

We are an on-site property management company, managing properties only on High St.; not your typical management company with reservation centers around the globe. Where you make your reservation is where you check-in. I do live on- site as well as am present in the office for majority of the day, everyday from April until October, making myself available 24/7 to guests with any questions or concerns. We do, as the majority of seasonal business' worldwide, employ college students during the summer months for additional office and housekeeping help. All of our office staff go through a rigorous training process, and most come back year after year to work for us again. While all of our staff may not be out of college yet they are more than qualified to hold the front desk and housekeeping positions that they do. I am sorry that you felt as though they did not hold any real interest in you, as all are trained, and do enjoy assisting guests with any questions, comments or concerns that they may have.

The Bellevue House was built in 1882, and the North East Room is one of our more traditional and most simple guest rooms, with a king bed, lovely ocean views and it does share a bathroom with one other room. At $135.00/night on a Friday in August this is a steal for Block Island. We do expect that all guests booking accommodations with shared baths be considerate of the guests in the other room and not spend excessive amounts of time in the bathroom, as well as be conscious that you are sharing the bath with another room and it will not be readily available as it is when you book a private bath guest room. Our beds are purchased in an attempt to please the majority of guests, while, as a collection of B&B's and rental homes we do understand that some people prefer firmer and others softer beds we strive to please all with beds that are somewhere in the middle.

We do have an outdoor/indoor shower on the side of the building which is the shower used after the beach. There are no windows, as it is a large shower room at ground level, but with the light provided there is ample lighting to serve showering, changing and using the toilet. Our staff does clean this room numerous times a day as we understand the fact that not all guests using it clean properly after themselves and they're children while rinsing off after the beach.

The wireless internet we have does not connect in any of our guest rooms, just in the common areas; the breakfast room and its outdoor seating. On Block Island Verizon does not offer a high-speed internet service as an option, but we do all of our bookings online in the office daily and are constantly using the internet for all of our business needs without an issue.

I am quite surprised to read that you did not enjoy our fruit salad fresh-cut daily, artisan coffee cakes and bagels. We do not advertise to make all of our own baked goods, as it is not an option during the busy summer season, but I do spend hours tasting and trying baked goods from many different suppliers to ensure we are receiving only the highest quality product. As for our home-made muesli, I came up with the recipe myself, and do make every batch. Muesli is a breakfast cereal based on uncooked rolled oats, fruit and nuts. So, while we do not harvest our own oats and nuts on property, or grow the dried papaya, mango and banana because our climate will not allow us to I did come up with the particular recipe myself. This recipe is blended by me in our breakfast room on a weekly basis to ensure the freshest of ingredients are used, the blend is done with all of the same precise measurements to make it our home made "Small island Muesli" that is very popular with our guests and at the local farmers market.

Again, I am sorry to hear that you would not recommend us, while I am not married, and therefore do not have a husband or children helping me to run my inns and property management company I do work hard and dedicate every waking moment to Block Island Accommodations, all of the inns I own/manage as well as to each and every guest who walks through our door. I can only hope that you will give me the opportunity to change your mind in the future.

Best,

Cariona

Owner & Property Manager
Block Island Accommodations

Reviewed 26 August 2012

We stayed at Bellevue this summer for a family reunion of 13 people. It's a strong choice for that kind of gathering as there are a variety of buildings and accommodations to suit (as in our group) family members with kids as well as singles and couples. Location is a short walk uphill from the main harbor area. It's convenient and yet quieter than being "in town" but it is a bit tiring to walk up the hill at end of a long day walking or biking around the island or when arriving with luggage. The grounds and buildings are nice and well cared for. The staff was OK -- just average on the scale of helpfulness and friendliness. The breakfast that is provided with some rooms is just OK -- a variety of pastries, one kind of not very good yogurt, muesli, nice fresh fruit. No variety from day to day.

A few things you should think about if you're planning to stay here:

The main one is noise. How noisy it will be depends in large part on who else is staying at the Bellevue at the same time as there is a relatively small space including a central outdoor area that everyone is sharing. We were bothered by another family group the first two nights when they stayed up late, sat and partied on the Windrose porch and were quite loud, even after we politely asked them to be quiet about midnight. And we may have bothered other guests when we used some of the outdoor dining tables for big group dinners, although we finished and went inside not long after dark in part to avoid bothering others.

Unless you buy out the whole place, you will be sharing a fairly small space with other guests, and it tends to attract groups who want to gather outside. So there will be noise and not much privacy, and you may feel crowded. (It wasn't just us: One couple spoke very strangely to my sister when she sat reading a book on the porch of the main house, which is where her room was. They seemed to have some idea that the entire front porch belonged to them while they were staying there -- or they wished it did!)

The other problems we had were specific to the building that we (a couple) stayed in - the Windrose House. It does not have A/C and the weather was unusually hot and humid, but really you'd need the windows there open at night any time in the summer. Not only was the room hot (despite fans running non-stop) but we could hear all the noise outside. And even on nights when there wasn't noise on the Bellevue grounds itself, we had noise almost all night long from a building across the street that's apparently some sort of hostel or other cheap accommodations. So college age and twentysomething kids were out there drinking, talking loudly and even yelling and arguing every single night we were there almost until dawn!

Another problem with Windrose was that the bed in the Walnut room where we stayed is ridiculously high off the ground -- like antique beds you see in museums. I'm a bit taller than the average woman and able-bodied, but getting on and off that bed at night was like a gymnastics maneuver. It also seemed small for a supposedly queen size bed. The upshot was, given the bed, the heat, the lack of A/C, and the noise, we did not sleep well the entire week we were there -- even with earplugs in! One night I literally got a single hour of sleep. That doesn't make for a good vacation.

The family members who stayed in other Bellevue buildings seemed mostly happy with their accommodations, which all had A/C, other than a complaint that the beds upstairs in "Cottage Sweet Cottage" are quite short, as if sized for kids not adults.

My final comment is general, since Bellevue isn't even one of the more expensive places on Block Island, but -- this place isn't cheap! We spent MORE for a small double room (with all the problems named above) for just 5 nights than we've recently paid to stay in nice, comfy apartments in two major European cities for a full two weeks!!

Given the expense, I suggest you really research Block Island to see if it's where you want to vacation. We found it disappointing, especially given the price of everything (including food) and also the huge build-up it gets as a beautiful place. It's OK, but we were expecting a place much more beautiful and interesting -- and it is very touristy and crowded. There are other more beautiful places to go in coastal New England, such as in Maine or Cape Cod, that aren't as pricey (or not any more so) than BI and are much more appealing, with more to do.

Room Tip: Avoid Windrose House, but if you must stay there, pick a room in the back and ask about the bed!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2012

A last minute trip to the island for the 4th of July--rented a room in the sister house, the Sterling House. By Block Island standards--this was a gem! Air Conditioning, a comfortable king size bed, our own Adirondack chairs and a small private deck. Close enough to town to walk (beware...High Street, is uphill and a little daunting in the heat!)...but its very walkable, even with beach chairs and luggage. Only about 5 minutes from the ferry dock, it was wonderful to be just outside of town--it was quieter, we had our own prime spot to see the fireworks! There was a small continental breakfast and the managers were very congenial and hospitable!

Room Tip: If you've ever been to Block Island before--you'll know that simply finding a room with AC is difficult--finding a clean, comfortable room at a great price with AC is nearly impossible! The Beechwood Suite is perfect for 2!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Krssy215

Dear Guest,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, and we do look forward to seeing you in the future.

Cariona

Owner/ Manager
Block Island Accommodations

Reviewed 13 January 2012

In August 2011, we celebrated my mom's 70th birthday in Block Island. We stayed at the Windrose House and another of their rentals on site. The accommodations were great, convenient, and perfect for a family gathering. I would strongly recommend this place and their other rentals and will definitely return!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family