National Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Beachfront
Island Manor Resort(New Shoreham)
  • Free Internet
Ballard's(New Shoreham)
  • Beachfront
Hotel Manisses(Block Island)
View Hotel
Spring House Hotel(New Shoreham)
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
  • Pool
The Break(Narragansett)
Weekapaug Inn(Westerly)
The Willows Resort(Charlestown)
View Hotel
All reviewsfire pitfront porchrooms are smallblock islandgreat lunchlobster rollcorner roomgreat view of the harborthe wait staffflights of stairsno air conditioningnoise from the streetthird floorferry landingmost placesmemorial day weekendyour luggage
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We didn't stay here but enjoyed a great dinner on the porch looking out to the ocean and boats! We were seated quickly and the service was great! Our waitress took our order and it was delivered to us without a long wait!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kathymaf
Reviewed 3 September 2013

From the second we checked in, the staff could not be nicer! The views are great, and the food is better. We ate almost every meal there for 4 days, and never had a bad meal or poor service. All of our servers and bartenders were top shelf! Special thanks to our friend Sean for all of his great suggestions while we were there. Our first room was ready when we arrived at noon, and when we moved to a water front room the next day, they did all of the work. When we arrived back from lunch to our new room all of our luggage had been moved for us. The rooms are small but very quaint. If you need AC this is not the place for you, but there is plenty of cold beer and drinks to keep you cool.

Room Tip: The lower floors are a bit cooler on a hot day.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hudson1111
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We went to Block Island for what I hoped was going to be a relaxing weekend. The minute I got off the ferry, I groaned....National was right in the middle of the strip and was teeming with people. Ok, checking in was fine, room was pretty (no a/c, but nice breeze with fans). Reason for 2 stars:

1) Loud, Loud, Loud, Loud, Loud....Till about midnight with live band (which can be heard clearly from the room, along with what seems like the conversation of everyone at the bar). After 3am and people are still hollering and screaming outside. Not the hotel's fault, but management is not around after a certain time. Forget changing rooms or even speaking to someone until the morning.

2) Along with hearing every conversation, screams, etc...we also knew what everyone was ordering at the restaurant downstairs- fried fish, fried chicken, fries...whatever the vent wafted up as we were right above it.

3) The wait staff at the restaurant (or to be fair, the two I dealt with at breakfast and at dinner) were just....unpleasant. I know you're at work, but a smile would not kill you.

4) We went to the back by the "fire pit" at least 5 times during our stay. Not once were we served, asked if we wanted a drink, etc. Actually, it was probably more work figuring out how to ignore us and manage to clean up around us, which they managed to do quite well. In this, they were very talented. I don't get it - don't you make money off tips?

I would have given this hotel above 2 stars if it were just the loudness. If there is a live band right below the rooms, it just won't be quiet, period and expecting it to be so isn't logical. However with everything else going on at the same time, most especially the terrible servers, I just could not.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Plenilune
NationalJulie, General Manager at National Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

I have said this before but I truly believe that as much as negative feedback is hard because we really do want our guests to enjoy their stay, I also believe we can learn from it so I do appreciate the feedback. You are absolutely correct that the hotel is louder on weekends when we have entertainment and we try to tell our guests when they make the reservations that we will have it so that there are no surprises. And our location is a plus for many guests because it is right in the heart of the town, convenient to the beaches, restaurants, shops and ferries, but it also is in the midst of the "hubbub".

What upsets me most is the service that you received. It is not what we aim for and serves as a reminder that training and staff management never ends. Your comments have been shared with both management and staff. Overall, we have a wonderful, friendly staff that takes very good care of our guests but obviously that is not what you encountered and for that I do apologize.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed here at the end of the season, October 2012. It was very quiet, and a mid week stay. Had a small but very comfortable room up on the top floor, with a great view of the Harbor. Could watch the ferry come and go, and see the activity at the docks. Good people/boat watching. We had taken our bikes over on the ferry and enjoyed biking around the island. Beautiful weather except one little stretch of rain. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Would have loved to stay longer!

Room Tip: Loved the little room toward the end of the hall, on the top floor, looking out over the harbor.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We tried to stay at the National Hotel but unfortunately it was fully booked (it is clearly very popular!) so instead we made sure to visit the restaurant and bar. The food was great; I highly recommend the New York Strip as it was cooked to perfection. The staff were very courteous and attentive without being intrusive.

Following the meal we sat in the outdoor area at the back of the hotel next to the fire pits. These fire pits provide a lovely atmosphere and allow you to enjoy a late summers evening with a drink and friends in a comfortable and relaxing location. I am kicking myself for not booking our trip sooner to have allowed us to stay at the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business