The Atlantic Inn
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in New Shoreham
See available hotels
Spring House Hotel(New Shoreham)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Manisses(Block Island)
Ballard's(New Shoreham)
  • Beachfront
Island Manor Resort(New Shoreham)
  • Free Internet
National Hotel(New Shoreham)
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
The Break(Narragansett)
  • Pool
Weekapaug Inn(Westerly)
View Hotel
All reviewstapasfront lawngranolarose hillblock islandhuge porchhome baked goodsour favorite placenew englandmohegan cafegorgeous viewsfresh fruitrented bikesno elevatorverandafarmwine
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 August 2007

My family and I had stayed at the Atlantic Inn for the first time in 2002. We had a wonderful stay then, and have been trying to get back ever since. The Inn sits atop a hill with a beautiful view of the surrounding land and the Atlantic Ocean. There is a cool breeze that blows almost constantly. The Inn itself is very homey and filled with antiques. The staff is very friendly and helpful. One of our favorite things was the cocktails and tappas served on the front lawn every evening. It was so relaxing to watch the sunset, and have some great shrimp and lobster. The restaurant at the Inn is in a class by itself! The food and the service are to die for!
The Atlantic Inn is a B&B, not a Holiday Inn. It is meant to be small, quaint and relaxing, without TV or other distractions. The Inn, and the Island in general allow you to relax and reconnect with your family. My children loved being able to run around the grounds, swing on the hammock and visit the Llama farm across the street. We had such a wonderful time, it is now one of our family traditions.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank soccermom66
Reviewed 23 August 2007

My wife and two children stayed at the Atlantic Inn.
The Inn was beautifully kept, inside and out. The grounds include a beautiful flower and herb garden used to supply fresh flowers and herbs/spices to the restaurant. There is a high class restaurant offering a one price fair, the service there was attentive and the food was delicious. Every morning there was a nice selection of bed and breakfast type foods, always something special like blueberry scones, etc.

I don't understand some of the other reviews here for the Inn. I guess some people don't understand that this is an Inn, basically a large bed and breakfast, this isn't a hotel. It is a historic building on a 100+ year old island, this explains that the rooms are not humongous, and there isn't 500 channel cable in each room. There isn't A/C, because not only did this historic building not have it, but you don't need it. The temperature in the hottest part of summer and the the ocean breezes are constant. The literature and website for the Inn make it clear what you do and don't get. What you do get is a beautiful place, friendly attentive staff, a great restaurant and bar, a relaxing environment including a large front lawn with chairs and Tapas and drinks service in the evening. We stayed over July 4th and loved watching the fireworks in the harbor while sipping wine and snacking while sitting on the front porch. I asked the kids where they want to go next year, and they immediately answered Block Island.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank hazmatt
Reviewed 13 August 2007

I was refered by the B.I. Chamber Of Commerce(which are very nice people) to this Hotel the morning of the August 11, 2007.When we arrived we thought the place looked nice.I should of known right away something was amiss when they asked for a credit card imprint.My wife and I received a room on the second floor(no elevators) so we lugged our luggage(no help from employees) up the steep stairs and entered the room.It was very small,not what you would expect for $285.00 plus tax. Immediately my wife started to sneeze repeatedly!She said...MOLD,DUST I can smell it,OH No! She had to take several allergy pills to be able to stay in the room.As there was no air conditioning we decided to go to the Beach so I asked the front desk for an extra top flat sheet we could use to bring to the beach to lay on.The Clerk stated there were no sheets available as they were all taken to the mainland for cleaning.I'm sure thats a violation of Dept. Of Health regulations not having extra sheets available.Anyways we decided to take the sheet off the bed and use that to lay on.There was no mention of any Beach towels from the clerk we could use.We brought the sheet back from the beach later on that day and washed off any sand that may have been present. Later that night we decided to have dinner at the Hotel Restaurant.They served a four course meal for $49.00 per person.I thought,it must be good for that price,little did I know what would await.We received a basket of bread which was average.Next a very small salad,then a plate with a very small portion of steak,6 green beans,two baby carrots and six slices of scalloped potatoes,followed by a very small dessert portion of average quality. A short time later I became very Ill and got sick several times as did my wife! BAD FOOD I thought! Great! We barely had time to recover from that disaster when it was time to check out the next morning.We went to the front desk and was handed a bill for an additional $10.00 restaurant fee and a $27.00 fee for removing the sheet from the Hotel! I explained that the sheet was in the room and quite intact and in good shape.The Owner loudly insisted that I was paying for the sheet to have it cleaned! Like it wasn't going to the cleaners after our use of the room anyway? The $10.00 Restaurant fee was removed as there was no justification for it (He must tack on additional fees hoping you don't notice)! However he actually threatened me with Police action because I refused to pay his padded and trumped up cleaning fee.My wife, not wishing a scene paid his padded charges to avoid any more conflict so we could enjoy the day.This was far and away the WORST Hotel experience I have ever had! I STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST ANYONE EVER STAYING HERE! The hospitality is non existent and the food I hope will never enter your body! This is my first review and from now on I will check this web site when ever I go away.If you do ignore my advice I strongly advise against leaving a credit card imprint with the desk as they will take you to the cleaners with trumped up charges.I have warned you now it's up to you to heed this review.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank TFRED112
Reviewed 3 July 2007

I was so disappointed at the attitude that I received from the front desk at the Atlantic Inn that I left 10 minutes after checking in to stay at Spring House where we were much happier. We made a reservation for 2 adults and 2 children last weekend at the Atlantic Inn and they said we had to get 2 rooms which we have never done before when traveling with our children but understood and happily complied with their request to book 2 rooms. They were right as the rooms were very tiny. We ended up changing the plans that we had for our 4 year old to spend with my brother that weekend and instead brought him along. I never thought to notify the hotel of the change in plans as he has slept in my bed since he was born. However, 5 minutes after they checked us in, they called my husband and I in my room to let me know I would have to get a 3rd room for my 4 year old????!! The women who called to explain was at best rude and snobby and implied that I was lying to her when I explained about the change in plans. She actually rudely laughed and mimicked me saying "Oh so you made the decision to bring your child last minute." Which, indeed I had. Not that it was her business! I was shocked. I am guessing that perhaps they do not like children as guests. However, that does not excuse her absolute rudeness. Further, the innkeeper was too busy to come over to talk to us to explain the policy although I saw her talking to him as we left. We left and paid the cancellation fee rather than staying as by then my 4 year old was crying and my older boys were rather bummed out - not the way to start a vacation. Never an excuse for their horrible behavior.

5  Thank Familyof5NewYork
Reviewed 24 August 2005

There is really nothing wrong with this hotel. Some reviewers ignorant of Block Island limitations will trash this place on account of its lack of a/c or small rooms but that is a mistake. Yes, the rooms are small with no a/c. That is what the market dictates. Who spends all of their time in their rooms anyway? Power costs on Block Island are obscene due to the fact that the electric company is an independent monopoly so NOONE has a/c - there are a few exceptions. Ultimately, I would have preferred a large room with its own private deck with the same awesome view as you get from the front porch. looking down on the farm below with its emu, llamas, camels, donkeys, ducks and geese with the ocean in the distance. That is not what they were building in the late 19th century though. The rooms are very quiet and eloquently furnished. We had a very powerful ceiling fan. The service was excellent. The breakfast (included) was very good. The best restaurant on the island is located here. If you are expecting perfection, don't go to Block Island at all. It doesn't exist here or any place generates most of its revenue in the summer.

• Stayed: August 2005