“Home cooked meals at traditional pub”
Review of The Old Inn

The Old Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Halwell
Price range: US$4 - US$27
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 12 September 2012

We popped here for lunch recently where I had the best chicken and leek pie I can recall! Hubby had a great cottage pie - both with a really tasty range of vegetables. Friendly host, very traditional pub with home cooked meals and speciality stir frys. Currently lunch 12-2 and evening 6-9. Suggest booking at peak times. Highly recommended! Easy to spot and drive into off the main road with parking - next to a large dark church spire.

1  Thank AmandaJoyCox

Reviewed 27 July 2012

I was greeted by the landlord with a pleasant smile and a "good evening" which made me feel welcome. I asked for a pint of bitter and a menu. The ale was very nice, the landlord pointed out the specials on a small blackboard and everything else was on the menus and a large blackboard, so very easy to understand. I ordered the stir fry prawns, which a lady customer who was sat at the bar said "excellent choice". When the dish arrived I was told to "dip the prawns in the sauce, do not pour the sauce over the prawns as it was quite salty", so I took the advice and enjoyed the meal. I can honestly say that my visit to this pub was great, and I will return when I am next in the area.

1  Thank Michael D
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Freshly cooked and tasty food, although limited veggie choice. Good beer, including landlords own recipe 'East Street'. Weekly guest ale. Beer well kept. For the price, the accommodation is excellent, very clean. Landlord can be grumpy. Best to book for a meal. Good base for exploring the delightful countryside of the south hams.

2  Thank DaisybelleOxford
Reviewed 12 June 2012

When we read the menu board we expected great things as the choice was very interesting,. This was because the landlady was philippino and several of the dishes were from her homeland. We were a bit idsappointed when our choices arrived. I had the pork dish and it was ok without being very special. Not as spicy as expected . My partner had the prawns and stir fried vegetables, again very average, and I am sure those prawns wrapped in filo came from Iceland! Only two other tables were occupied when we were there (it was bank holiday so we expected everywhere to be packed) and the others were also holiday makers, the locals obviously avoided it. Such a disappointment as we like to try different cuisines, but not this one. Service was friendly and quick and the toilets were very clean.

1  Thank moonraker07