“Very efficiently run.”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cordova
Sydney, Australia
“Very efficiently run.”
Reviewed 7 June 2011

The first night I was there was very noisy due to a local fiesta, however the management made a point of letting me know it will finish about midnight and it was a once a year only event.. You can be sure the American ownership is a big plus to the place running very efficiently, a couple of minor issues were attended to straight away. Eden on the front desk is a most friendly and welcoming person and deserves a special mention. One evening we were sitting around the pool and there was a brownout. She immediately explained what was happening, organised some candle lights and asked if we needed some water or anything. In fact she always seemed to go the extra mile in her job.
Otherwise I found the place very attractive, peaceful and the rooms very clean. All the staff were always friendly and smiling...I would stay there again.
The only negative thing was that some menu items were not always available.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrDestiny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Norfolk, Nebraska
Reviewed 26 May 2011

This was my first trip to the Philippines, and I really didn't know what to expect until I showed up! I traveled with my girlfriend, who was born in Lapu Lapu, and had family near by. I chose Alta after searching for the best value on line. I stayed at Alta for 6 nights for the same price as 2 nights at one of the 5 or 6 star resorts. Alta even offers a no frills room for as low as 54 dollars a night for the average backpacker - call ahead well in advance. We showed up early, and were treated to lunch while our room was being prepared. The staff made us feel as though we ere part of their family. We made friends with the guests on the first night ! The pool is open 24 hours, and this helped me out tremendously, due to the fact I was extremely jet-lagged. It's true that we weren't directly on the beach, but the hotel did set up an island hopping trip for us that was all day, and was absolutely amazing. We had several different Taxi drivers, but did find one really good one who we hired to take us local historical landmarks, like the Lapu Lapu shrine, and also to the huge SM mall, and basically anywhere we needed to go. There is an Orphanage nearby, and the owner Larry donates generously to this orphanage. When I needed change early in the morning, and the finance dept. wasn't open yet at the hotel, Larry opened his own wallet and offered to spot me some change for cab fair. How many other resort owners would do that !?! My fiancée and I were engaged at Alta, and we'll be back next year for our honeymoon. If you need any advice about traveling to Cebu - shoot me an e-mail at lare5177@yahoo.com

Room Tip: book well in advane. premium rooms are 1 thru 7
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank lare5177
Hong Kong
Reviewed 23 May 2011

We stayed for 5 nights in April 2011. The hotel was ok for what we paid, but the location is really bad. It is not a beach-front property, therefore it is almost impossible to go to a nice beach. The hotel advertises that they have a free shuttle to a beach, however they took us to another resort (Plantation Bay) which was nice, but I’m not even sure if we were supposed to use the area as we were not staying there!? We also got into very embarrassing situation when we asked to be dropped off at another beach and again, they suggested other resorts. We got dropped off at Shangri-la resort only to be informed by the security that we could not use their beach! The area surrounding the hotel is very local and there is an orphanage right at the back of the hotel – this could scare some people off, but we didn’t have any problems.

The hotel itself was ok. The staff was very friendly, helpful and spoke good English. Our room was simple, but clean. I didn’t like the fact that there were dark curtains on all the windows that could not be pulled to the side and the room felt very dark. The bed was comfortable, but we didn’t get to sleep in as there were kids on a camp getting up around 6am and making lots of noise every morning. The hotel advertises other services and features such as zoo – all that we saw were 3 angry monkeys; climbing wall – doesn’t look safe; spa services - need to book a day in advance; or shisha – also needs to be ordered a day in advance. The pool was good, but the jacuzzi didn’t work. Also the pool got very busy and noisy at times with the camp kids. The food was ok, but we did get burnt pizza couple of times and they didn’t have many meals on the menu. Also there is nowhere else to eat in the area so you don’t have a choice. Breakfast was confusing as the first day we had to choose from ‘traditional filipino’, ‘american’ or continental set breakfast (had to wait around 20mins for it!) and on the other 4 days there was a simple buffet available.

The hotel also provides some tours. We did whole day island hopping and also Bohol day tour. Both were amazing and reasonably priced. But do be careful with local taxi drivers! Due to the location of the hotel (in the middle of a non-touristy area), they charge extra 50pesos on the top of the meter. And do make sure they have the meter on! Also once we had to wait for a taxi to arrive nearly an hour, so make sure to call the taxi well in advance.

Overall, we had a great time in Cebu! It’s a lovely place, but next time, I would stay in Bohol or other islands close by. Cebu is very much an urban area and if you are not staying at a beach-front property, you can’t enjoy any beaches!

Room Tip: Stay away from reception - it's noisy!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Venculka
CebuLarry, Owner at ALTA Cebu Resort, responded to this review, 26 May 2011
I counted more than 11 complaints, yet these guests never complained to us during their 6 days here. I deem such guests inappropriately polite, since they leave unhappy and make it difficult for us to be our best. To give overly polite guests a more comfortable way to ask for even the smallest want or need, this week we launch our new “personal butler service”. Our super-friendly butlers very approachable and accountable for the wellbeing of their appointed guest.

Happily, the vast majority of guests do not share the sentiments of these guests. I’ve had guests say they paid $1000+ per night but they prefer Alta. Quite a few guests tell me our prices are too cheap (as they are leaving).

To meet this guest’s expectation, I think it would cost $300 to $500 per night in another Cebu resort. Our basic rate for a 1 week stay is $54 per night. We are about 20% cheaper than similar resorts and we offer many things for free which are not free at other places, such as: free airport pick up , free beach shuttle, free internet throughout the resort, many free activities, cultural events and musical entertainment and more. It’s unrealistic to expect us to be as good as a much more expensive resort, but guests often do.

There are no perfect resorts in the Philippines. Savvy guests say our few blemishes are more than made up for with genuinely friendly service and happy family-like atmosphere.

My itimized response:

1. Located on Alta Bay with island hopping and beach hopping as an option from Alta Bay dock, we are the closest resort to Cebu city.

2. Cebu is not known for having the best beaches but we do offer shuttle to available beaches. Our staff had good intentions but made a mistake in suggesting Shangri-la. My apologies.

3. Curtains do open. Our staff could have helped, if they had only asked.

4. Monkeys have feelings. Our monkeys are happy, friendly and curious when treated with respect and kindness. They get feisty when they feel threatened.

5. We will open our own spa second week of June.

6. Jacuzzi does work- 2 levels of jets. No resort offers hot Jacuzzi for free. Only place I know with heated Jacuzzi - charges $100 to use spa and Jacuzzi.

7. My apologies for kids’ camp. It is impossible for us to alert every guest for every eventuality. Alta 5+ acres of tropical gardens are normally relaxing and tranquil.

8. Our menu has 50 choices, more than many other resorts. Having 3 choices for breakfast instead of one is a bad thing? One of our chef won an award for his cooking. If the food was not up to standard, it was probably because we had some chefs who were sick that week. We went from 4 to 2 and they had to cook for 100 kids on top of the guests.

9. Thanks for compliments about our tours.

10. Actually taxi drivers charge less here than other resorts. Some resorts require guests to use their taxi service which costs about double what taxi drivers charge our guests. Please be reasonable-the fares are dirt cheap in Cebu. A $10 fare would cost more than $100 in Norway, yet cars and gas cost more here. Most people do not tip taxi drivers here and some refuse to pay. Often they make less than $10 per day.
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 12 May 2011

Had no idea what to expect as I never have been to Cebu previously. As we drove through the busy city streets in route to the hotel , I was wandering what I had got myself into .... We arrived at the hotel to a very nice greeting and welcome drink form the staff. They showed me to my room and offefed a tour of the facility. What a well planeed resort . Relacation was written all over the resort. The staff was so friendly and trated me like a king. The pool and bar area were very nice and comfortable. The breakfast buffet was good. Larry ( owner) was friendly and gave me the history of the resort. This resort is just what the doctor ordered for me. Relaxation ..... There are plenty of acticities at the fron t desk if you want to see the area as well. Excellent place to get away from the pressures of daily life.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Bookemdano2011
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Cosy atmosphere and well-decorated rooms. Room I stayed in was personally designed by the American owner. Went to Plantation Bay and found that the rooms there were plain, very much plainer than the one we had in Alta. In-hotel restaurant was in general, quite superb, offering both local and international cuisine. Ask for more sheets if you get cold at night though.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AlanChua
weimar
Reviewed 3 May 2011

i had expected bit more value for the money for the rooms
the bathroom look old - i missed something stylish of the room
but the owner was very atentful and offered me a premium room for the same price

but the place is very peaceful indeed , nice greenery and the staff is very very kind

so a place to come again to relax

i didnt need but there is no beach there

and also dont try the mojito cocktail

but if you like wine they have some reasonable priced bottles there

Jef

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank jefseyen
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 7 April 2011

About a 25 minute courtesy shuttle ride from the Cebu airport you will find a little jungle retreat. All the cottages are set in a lush tropical setting. Rooms comfortable and air conditioned. Great pool. Staff very friendly and helpful. English language skills are improving, keep your requests clear and short. Welcomed personally by the owner, an American who is working with the local community to provide an eco friendly and community-supporting resort. No beach but shuttle to beach available twice daily.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KEP98
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cordova
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
Eloisa Royal Suites
Eloisa Royal Suites
#5 of 30 in Lapu Lapu

Been to ALTA Cebu Resort? Share your experiences!