“great resort,” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cordova
Brisbane, Australia
“great resort,”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2011

it's got me beat how anyone could not love this place, staff were fantastic, anything, even the bar man went and got me a sim card for a few pesos,the pool area was the best, a live band every 2nd night, at the bar restaurant, i cannot praise this place enough, any one that has a complaint should go to the orphanage behind the hotel, and see how hard these people, live, larry, was so nice and helpful, my lock on the door, was not great, so he fixed it and upgraded me to a premium suite, the food, entertainment, staff, service, rooms 10 out of 10, water pressure is not great, well at least you have water, and its hot,, the beds are big,
and so were the smiles on the staff,, even when i had a winge,, ha ha ha,,, go see for yourself,, you owe it to yourself,, see the kids in the orphanage,, show them your pics,, of your holiday,, if you can take yourself away from the pool area,, ask larry about the water pressure and which room would be better,, he's a good guy, good luck,,

Room Tip: rooms close to reception have better water pressur
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank aussiescorpion

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

My name is Daniel, from Jerusalem, Israel.
I spend 15 wonderful days in a nice and peaceful resort in Mactan island called Alta Cebu resort.
First I find this resort on internet. I was impress by the nice architecture of this resort. Its built like a traditional Filipino village, but with all the modern facilities for the guests.
So I choose and booked for this hotel.
The booking was very efficient, by the net, with a chat live program. You can directly talk with the reception and receive directly answers of all your questions about the hotel and the reservation.
I landed at Cebu international airport at the early morning of the 8 of June. Somebody from the hotel had to wait and picked me up to the hotel. It was the arrangement. Nobody was there and the cell phone of the driver didn’t respond. It was my first and last bad experience with the level standard of the hotel. So I took a taxi to the hotel where I arrive at 2 am. In the reception I told Yvonne what happened, and without argument she payed me back the money I payed to the taxi driver. It was my first and not my last good impression from this resort.
I have to say all what its promised when I booked about all the services the hotel gives, it was given.
First the restaurant, “la Regata restaurant”. Very tasty meals and reasonable prices.
Secondly the swimming pool: You can swim in every time of the day and nite without reservation. And its very clean.
Third the room: very nice and comfortable.
And finally the staff. A young and nice men and ladies , smiling, with an high level of service concern for the comfort of the guests.
I want special mention one of them, Ms Edna who took us for a visit of this beautiful Filipino resort and village.
I will recommend this place to my friends in Israel for a peaceful vacation in a village situated among a rich and luxuriant green gardens.
Daniel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank danieltal2000
Cebu City, Philippines
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

We went here for our team building. It was a 2-day affair, so we had to stay at the venue overnight. A month before the said activity, our HR officer did an ocular and found the place to her liking. She was toured around and was promised to have good rooms and amenities. But once we got there, the rooms were a mess. We had double decked rooms that smelled of dust and dirty laundry. The double decks were not even safe! We were promised a Japanese style room. The TV was really blurry, and the colors were too bright to the point that one might get seizures just by looking at it. There are no telephones in the rooms. If you need something, you have to go out of your room and go to the front desk. The amenities?? the karaoke room had defective microphones, defective TV. The food?!? wow, very disappointing. Although I know the kitchen staff invested a great deal of effort on the food, sad to say, it was not that good. They also interchanged our meals! The worst meal was breakfast. They served us rice , a very soggy corned beef, and sunny side-up eggs that even a 10 year-old could do better. What irritated me was, they were also serving cereals and when i got a bowl for my cereal, a server intercepted me and told me that the cereals are for IN-HOUSE guests only. WHAT?!?! I asked her what her definition of IN- HOUSE GUEST is. She answered me sarcastically and told me that IN-HOUSE guests are those who stay for leisure not for activities. I was so pissed because if you have good customer service, you do not discriminate your customers! The worst experience EVER! If you're going to cebu, FIND ANOTHER RESORT! There are a lot of resorts in Mactan that's better. YOU DESERVE BETTER!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
9 Thank localtravelblogger
CebuLarry, Owner at ALTA Cebu Resort, responded to this review, 25 June 2011
This guest asks why were we ranked as one of the top10 hotels in Mactan? Because 98 former guests put us there. We recently hired our first professional GM, a German, named Aino, with 45 years experience. Though we had no experience running a resort before and had no qualified GM to guide us in running the resort until this year, nonetheless our reviews have improved a lot since we opened 4 years ago

I personally send thank you emails to all guests asking for suggestions on how to improve Alta and requesting that they write a review at trip advisor. The vast majority of guests love us and will forgive the occasional mistake (mistakes happen at all resorts, even the best resorts).

Since I have spoken to, and personally sent thank you emails to literally thousands of guests over the years, I realize that complainers are much more likely to write reviews than the satisfied customer. Another curious fact is that more expensive resort will always rate higher, even if the level of service and mistakes are the same as ours. My conclusion is that we are probably better than our ratings show. To back this up, many guests tell me and our staff this in person and in emails!

By choice, we keep our prices below the competition, which means we attract a certain number of bargain hunters (who are sometimes unrealistic about what is possible). This means being more affordable means we get more complainers than the higher priced resorts.

The organizer of this guest’s company event told us that (though many other resorts have courted them) they plan to hold future functions at Alta.
Nonetheless, it appears we may have not been at our best for this one particular guest. This is most likely due to the fact that we had had 2 weeks of back-to-back functions, sometimes more than 250 people and 3 functions per day. The staff was understandably exhausted.

We do extensive training and have professional levels of systems in place to back up that training.

Nonetheless, we do owe this person an apology for being less than perfect. If this person had complained at the time, we would have done our best to fix things as best we could. Our most humble apologies. We hope the next time your group comes to Alta, you will give us a second chance to prove our sincerity to make it up to you.
Cebu City, Philippines
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

I chose this resort for our teambuilding activity. but sadly it was the worst choice ever. What was written in our contract were not followed. Their beds (double deck) are very unsafe, they gave us a much smaller conference room than what was previously agreed. The food is WORST!.. our menu of choice was not followed and very poor food presentation and poor cooking, our canteen has far more better tasty food than what they have served us, not to mention that there were ants and a fly happily hoping from one food to the other... And during our activity in the evening, a cockroach was flying in the conference room that totally disturbed our activity... I told their staffs and the sales executive about this but there were no efforts made to somehow lessen our discomfort.. There was even one incident during our breakfast that our employee was insulted by their staff.. I can never recommend this to those who would be holding a teambuilding activity.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank lhhro
Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2011

The night we arrived at the airport NO shuttle bus showed up to pick us up. And we called the resort the front desk lady said that we just ride a taxi cab and they will pay us back when we get there. As for myself and my family the alta is a scary place to stay . In other words is unsafe place for you to stay and you can't enjoy there. It is hard to get in and out you have to wait 30 minutes to an hr. to get a taxi cab.Too far from a shopping mall etc. Actually we reserved 13 nights but we only stayed 2 nights and thats all we can handle. And they dont have a good breakfast selection . And their staff arent friendly at all and their liar too. They gave you a complimentary drink and i thought they're suppose to be free but we found out they charged you. Anyway we had a great time in Cebu after the first 2 nights we moved out from Alta resort. Their room are too small and the bathroom smells like no one is been livin there for many many yrs, It was very bad experience for us for first 2 nights then we packed our bag and leave . And moved in to a nice place.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Loralyn84
CebuLarry, Owner at ALTA Cebu Resort, responded to this review, 17 June 2011
I am the owner of Alta Cebu Village Resort and Convention Center. Firstly, I am surprised that this guest would list so many complaints when none of my staff remember even a single complaint coming from this guest. Maybe this guest confused us with another resort.

I try to greet all guests when they arrive and also frequently check back with them throughout their stay to be sure we are meeting their expectations. Based on my conversations with thousands of guests over the years, it is impossible for me to imagine so many mistakes from our well trained staff.

In fact, Alta Cebu Resort is one of the very few resorts offering a personal butler service, so that guests will have quicker response time, if there ever is a problem.

Taking care of guest happiness starts with an introductory email before the guests arrive and ends with a “Thank You” email (often times with a photo attached) after the guest has left. Because we genuinely care, most guests tell us our staff and their service is very good and from the heart. I know of no other resort offering this kind of feeling of “belonging to a family”. You can see it and feel in the many reviews that praise the “feels like coming home” ambiance of Alta. My German General Manager shares my very high expectations
of service standards, which we also demand from the entire staff.

The area around Alta is no different, in terms of safety, than any other resort area on Mactan Island. Sadly, some unscrupulous taxi drivers will tell guests that a resort or hotel is in a scary location because they get a fee for bringing guests to other hotels.
Our resort is the closest resort to Cebu, so the wait at other resorts is longer. We now have a shuttle bus to the city, so if a guest leaves when the bus is scheduled, there is no wait.

Alta Cebu Resort is about 15% less expensive than comparable resorts in the area. Unlike most other resorts in our class, we offer free airport shuttle and free beach shuttle services.

Our breakfast selections are: American, Continental, Healthy Start, Pancake and fruit plate, A trio of cultures (Filipino cultural dishes), Cebuano breakfast, Lumberjack Breakfast, Congee, Special Lomi.
Oftentimes, we have a breakfast buffet. All but the lumberjack are complimentary.

Of all compliments we get from our guests, the most frequent one is that our staff is one of the most genuinely friendly in the world.
77 guest reviews rate us good to excellent at Trip Advisor.
Many of the average ratings were from years ago, when we were just starting in the resort business.

During our refurbishing phase, there may have been some smells from adjoining rooms. If any guest complains about a problem with the room, we immediately give them a free upgrade to a more expensive room, often to a premium room.
If it is actually us that they are complaining about and not some other resort that they confused with Alta, I would like extend my most sincere apologies to this guest.

Larry Quinn
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

The first night I was there was very noisy due to a local fiesta, however the management made a point of letting me know it will finish about midnight and it was a once a year only event.. You can be sure the American ownership is a big plus to the place running very efficiently, a couple of minor issues were attended to straight away. Eden on the front desk is a most friendly and welcoming person and deserves a special mention. One evening we were sitting around the pool and there was a brownout. She immediately explained what was happening, organised some candle lights and asked if we needed some water or anything. In fact she always seemed to go the extra mile in her job.
Otherwise I found the place very attractive, peaceful and the rooms very clean. All the staff were always friendly and smiling...I would stay there again.
The only negative thing was that some menu items were not always available.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrDestiny
Norfolk, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2011

This was my first trip to the Philippines, and I really didn't know what to expect until I showed up! I traveled with my girlfriend, who was born in Lapu Lapu, and had family near by. I chose Alta after searching for the best value on line. I stayed at Alta for 6 nights for the same price as 2 nights at one of the 5 or 6 star resorts. Alta even offers a no frills room for as low as 54 dollars a night for the average backpacker - call ahead well in advance. We showed up early, and were treated to lunch while our room was being prepared. The staff made us feel as though we ere part of their family. We made friends with the guests on the first night ! The pool is open 24 hours, and this helped me out tremendously, due to the fact I was extremely jet-lagged. It's true that we weren't directly on the beach, but the hotel did set up an island hopping trip for us that was all day, and was absolutely amazing. We had several different Taxi drivers, but did find one really good one who we hired to take us local historical landmarks, like the Lapu Lapu shrine, and also to the huge SM mall, and basically anywhere we needed to go. There is an Orphanage nearby, and the owner Larry donates generously to this orphanage. When I needed change early in the morning, and the finance dept. wasn't open yet at the hotel, Larry opened his own wallet and offered to spot me some change for cab fair. How many other resort owners would do that !?! My fiancée and I were engaged at Alta, and we'll be back next year for our honeymoon. If you need any advice about traveling to Cebu - shoot me an e-mail at lare5177@yahoo.com

Room Tip: book well in advane. premium rooms are 1 thru 7
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank lare5177
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cordova
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Be Resorts - Mactan
Be Resorts - Mactan
#15 of 30 in Lapu Lapu
Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort

Been to ALTA Cebu Resort? Share your experiences!