“Christmas at Hotel Eder”
Review of Hotel Eder

Hotel Eder
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Maria Alm
“Christmas at Hotel Eder”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel for Christmas. I think we were the only British family staying but the staff were very helpful and friendly and we felt they made a real effort to make us feel welcome and relaxed. The rooms were very comfortable and cleaned daily. We enjoyed the food very much and our table waitress was lovely and very helpful. The children had the opportunity to ask for anything they liked for dinner but mostly chose to try the set menu which did not disappoint. Our 9 year old particularly loved the breakfasts. Overall we had an excellent experience and would go back again. We also enjoyed the skiing and had one of our best family holidays so far.

The only only complaint is that the church bells interfered with our sleep, but the earplugs we had bought with us sorted that out.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Arabic first
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I am a regular visitor to The Austrian Alps in both Winter & Summer but have found a little Gem of a Hotel in Maria Alm.
The new reception and bar now compliment the rest of the Hotel which is 1st Class.
Super friendly service, great food and good value...The French have got so much to learn!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RichardJ63
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I had booked this hotel as part of my husband's birthday weekend.

Let me start by saying, that prior to booking, I had some questions about the rooms and pricing because the website was not clear for me. I emailed the Reservations desk. Ms. T. Schwaiger replied right away and was very helpful and friendly, for which I am grateful. I ended up booking the Double Room "lifestyle" rather than one of the suites - with the idea we could use the "wellness oasis" they had instead (one of the suites has a sauna).

Upon arriving, we were given an "upgrade" to one of the rooms on the top floor. This turned out NOT to be an upgrade. The room is not as nice as the one I had booked, even though it was more expensive. For tall people, or even just for 2 adults, the room was very awkward - the bed being placed under the slanted roof, meant that one person couldn't get out of bed very easily (without banging your head at least). There was no mini fridge, not even a bottle of water. The only "complimentary" thing in the room was a bar of soap - not even travel sized lotion or a shower cap! The shower had a "one for all" shampoo body wash mix. This was very disappointing for a 4 star hotel! The room, in my opinion, is at a 2 or 3 star standard. The light on our balcony didn't work, and the room was very cold. The pictures on the website make the room look much nicer than it is in reality. The toilet/shower area is very small. The furniture (particularly the pine "sheeting" and tiles) are actually very cheap.

Our first evening, we were awarded with a bad impression which unfortunately contributed to ruining our experience with this hotel.

I reserved a table for dinner, in the very gemütlich (cosy) "Stube". We then went out for a day trip. When we came back there was a wedding in the reception area. The entire reception was full - I suppose they are tight on space and one of the musicians was even sitting IN the elevator so that they could fit the entire band in, in the back corner. The bride and groom were dancing in front of the door that led to the staircase. With this being said, we could not get upstairs to our room. Since it was a wedding, and we didn't want to disturb, we had to come back later. Maria Alm is quite small and there's only so much time you can kill. When we came back later they were still playing music and dancing. We had to pass by the dancing couple to get upstairs. This is awkward and embarrassing. If it was my wedding, I would have been annoyed to have guests pass by me. But as a guest, we were somewhat annoyed that the hotel had not communicated this to us before hand. We would have been happy to stay out a while longer and come back at a more convenient time! Don't know what they had planned in case someone was in a wheel chair and needed the elevator?

We later came downstairs for dinner and as soon as we came out of the staircase, a woman working there cut us off and said "sorry, tonight dinner is served in that room over there"...

So we went to the other room where 2 servers were quite busy. I said we are flexible. The girl behind the counter told us to sit anywhere we wanted. So we did. We waited a good 10 minutes until someone came, who then snapped at us for sitting at a table that was not set.

The thing is that the only table that was set, was next to a couple with about 5cm between their table and the free set table. I assumed they wanted their privacy, as we did also - not to mention there were so many free tables around them, that we didn't think it would be a problem to sit somewhere else. The waiter then dumped the silverware from the free table onto ours and said he'd be back. You could tell he was irritated. We waited another 10 minutes or so until he came back with the menu, which was a one page set menu that had 2 choices. Looked like a 3 or 4 course meal. This is not what we wanted, and I asked if he had something light such as a salad. He then told us we were in the wrong place - this dining room was apparently only for those who booked the breakfast/dinner option. Now I was irritated, and told him we had actually reserved a table in the other room anyway - he told us that's where we "should" be.

In the end, it might just be a misunderstanding between the staff - What I didn't appreciate at all was the treatment and the bad attitude. As a hotel, I think it's up to the staff to communicate between each other AND also to the customers. The woman should have asked us if we had a reservation, or half board. Instead she cut us off and told us dinner would be served "there" tonight.

As guests, we expected a 4 star service and we did not receive this. When I reserve a table in the "Stube" I would expect to be able to sit there.

We ended up eating elsewhere that evening because this experience really bothered me, and all in all, we spent about 20 minutes just waiting around for a menu!

Our second night, I asked the bar tender - who by the way is very friendly and always greets the guests with a smile (he is also the ONLY one to do so) - if we could sit in the Stube. He said of course. Finally we were able to order a nice salad a glass of wine. The waiter from the night before came to us and apologized. I do appreciate this very much - unfortunately though, one only has one chance to make a first impression. The salad we ordered was wonderful - very fresh, the fish cooked to perfection.

Some other points:

Breakfast: on the website they advertise a rich and healthy breakfast, with freshly cooked things of the chef. Breakfast in reality is very sparse - I would not say there is a good choice and there is nothing regional or fresh! No one was at the Omlette station... more so, breakfast is served in some room in the back of the hotel which is very outdated. Of course there are no pictures of this room on the website. It does not fit the rest of the hotel and it is anything but
gemütlich! Apparently if you order a half board, this is where you should eat dinner, as we learned the hard way. The tacky disco ball and the 80s upholstery makes it quite a drag.

Internet: the website will say it's free in the lobby and available in the rooms. What they fail to tell you is that they charge you 5 Euro to access internet in the rooms. I can't remember the last time we were charged for internet... in this day and age I think every hotel offers this as part of their service.

Staff: some of the staff are friendly, others are not. It doesn't seem like anyone is in charge and there is a real lack of communication. It doesn't seem like there is a system in place either - it seems as though anyone can do what they want.

All in all, even though we live less than 2 hours away and are avid skiers, I would not book this hotel again - not in summer and not in winter! I don't think it is a true 4 star hotel, and the service does not make one feel welcome OR at home. The rooms are over-priced considering they are "bare".

My only regret is that I did not pay more attention to the very bad reviews that this hotel received (in German) -

Room Tip: Be weary of accepting their "upgrade". I am quite certain they "upgrade" to the...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mad2live482
England
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Having spent a lot of time in the Hochkoenig region I'd never stayed or skied Maria Alm. The Hotel Eder has just had an extensive refit/re-furb and it is great. The rooms are really comfortable, excellent finish and facilities. Cleaned daily and very efficient in terms of heating and lighting. WiFi and HD TV in the room were excellent features. The food was really special as well. Having gone for the Half-board option breakfast buffet was fantastic and the evening meals of excellent quality, presentation and taste.

Having been so well fed it was reassuring to be only 100m to the Natrun lift. There are some great little runs in Maria Alm, the reds were deserted and this made for a great experience given this trip was at Fasching/Carnival week. Red 9 was open for the cross country trip to Aberg and after a hard day's skiing the ski bus stops right outside the door for the boot room at Hotel Eder! After a quick change it was time for a trip to the Sauna and Wellness area. Very smart and good facilities. Turning the sauna up to 95 degrees was no problem. A jacuzzi would help to relax the tired muscles after skiing all day.

So in summary;-

Positives

- Food, rooms, Sauna, getting to the lifts

Negatives

The reasons why I haven't given 5 stars

- Boot rooms are just too small and waiting time was 10-15mins at peak hours

- Smoking! The hotel bar is in the middle of the hotel....smoke gets everywhere and this was really bad. I can't blame the hotel so come on Austria the rest of Europe gets the Smokers outside-sort it out!

Would I stay here again....for sure. Sooner if the Smoking gets sorted.

Room Tip: I am very tall so being on the roof floor meant a sloping ceiling....I knew my half of the room
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
cork,ireland
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Dined in the conservatory section of this attractive hotel while on a recent ski holiday in the area. We choose this restaurant as we noticed that it was a full venue for evening dining every night of the week and we were not dissapointed! The waiter suggested the mixed grill platter to share between two and my sons were awestruck when it arrived with chicken,pork,steak and several Austrian specialities which delighted their palates and made for a great talking point. I choose the pike perch option which was beautifulycooked and accompanied by veg in season.The tablepieces were little nutcracker figurines and the room was lit by a magnificent chandelier suspended from the glass roof of a well designed conservatory looking on to a plaza lit by twinkling fir trees. Our waiter was very professional and brought along another waiter with more fluent English to explain the ingredients in the Austrian dishes. Overall it was a great meal enjoyed in a wonderful setting.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Luzern
Reviewed 28 December 2012

We - a group of 9 people spend 4 nights in January for skiing. Very central location. Ski bus stops just over the street. It takes a 5 minute walk to the ski lift.
Terrific breakfast buffet. Dinner was very nice too. Service is outstanding, staff is very friendly and helpful
Great room. Very special. We felt very comfortable. Quality of bed is very good.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Markus A
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Very glad we chose to stay here; no evidence of "package tourism" groups, and it's clear that the dining room and the bar are used for real by the locals.

• Stayed March 2012
#2 of 4 in Saalfelden am Steinernen Meer
Hotel Lohningerhof
Hotel Lohningerhof
#4 of 7 in Maria Alm

Been to Hotel Eder? Share your experiences!