“Clean, very comfortable bed, and helpful staff”

Van der Valk Brussels Airport
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Diegem
Colorado
“Clean, very comfortable bed, and helpful staff”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

This was an overnight stay on my way home from Africa to the US. They were very accommodating and I thought the 'superior room' was very large and the bed was excellent. It has that typical European 'minimalist' look, which I find inviting actually. I had problems with some luggage that Brussels airline lost temporarily, which had my iPhone cable and charger. The front desk staff rummaged through a huge box of cables until they found one for me to use. Too bad that other folks have had some challenges, but my experience was good!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SMT56
Lionel P, Sales Coördinator at Van der Valk Brussels Airport, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel.

It is with great pleasure that I have passed on your positive comments to our team. I hope that everything turned out ok concerning your lost luggage and that you were able to continue your trip home.

Lionel Paret

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Level of service is really low given the hotel rates.
I asked for a room service and the food arrive cold.
The room services prices were prohibitive given the food size and quality.

I asked to stay one more night in the morning, they said there was room for me but they called me back in the afternoon while in a business meeting to inform me that there was no room eventually for me to add an extra night.

They told me it was not an option for me to stay while the same morning they tild me exactly the opposite.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your feedback concerning your stay.

I am sorry to hear that not everything went as it should be during your stay with us. It is of course not acceptable that your room service order arrived cold. please be assured that I have passed on this remark to our F&B team and they will undertake the necessary actions to avoid this in the future.

Concerning the confusing situation about your room, I am sorry that we could not accomodate you for the extra night.

I would like to apologise for the issues you faced in our hotel as they are not a reflection of our 4* standards.

I do hope welcoming you back in the future in our property! Should you have any further remarks, please feel free to contact me on l.paret@brussels.valk.com.

New York
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I quite often flight from Brussels airport and that is not easy to find a good hotel around. In addition the prices vary from 1 to 5 depending on the day, vacation, week end... Not a lot of respect for the frequent travelers.

The reception, bar and restaurant areas of the Van der Valk are nice, attractive and clean. The reception staff is diligent and smiling, even if they don't know very well the facilities of the rooms (I got a room with a bath only after three tentative), the airport shuttle seems well organized even during the rush hours.

But the rooms are on the cheap side. Carpets were not clean. Bath had some spots. The "new" building with upgraded rooms had a strong unpleasant odor. The TV has only 2 French channels. Also visibly only a few rooms have a bath and are more expensive.

Not the worst hotel in the Brussels airport area, but just an average property in terms of quality/price.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Kerkrade, Limburg, Netherlands
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Lovely hotel we booked a sleep park fly arrangement as we had an early flight from Zaventem airport, room very nice, we ate in the resturant the evening before, we have stayed in VAn de valk hotels all over holland, and always found the resturant very reasonable, the food here was very over priced would not eat there again, and as the resturant was empty I don't think many people do, had a wake up call and arrived in the lobby to be told that the shuttle bus to the airport only started at six o'clock in the morning ( it was 4 o'clock) and that we would have to take a taxi, I asked about a voucher and we were told we would have to pay for ourselves about 15 euros, we were supplied with coffee while we waited, the taxi cost us 25 euros as it was in the middle of the night, on arriving home we had a 5 hour delay once again the shuttle bus was not runnning ( stops at 23.00) had to take another taxi 17 euros. All in all was an expensive stay, all the other hotels we have stayed in and around airports have always supplied taxi vouchers if there shuttle buses are not running so it was a very disapoiinting stay we would not use them again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Lionel P, Sales Coördinator at Van der Valk Brussels Airport, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear Carol & Jan,

Thank you for the review you wrote on Tripadvisor and your honest feedback.
I am sorry to hear you did not fully enjoy your stay with us due to the transport to/from the airport and your flight that was delayed. During weekdays, our shuttle operates from 6am-11pm to/from the airport, in the weekend it starts at 5am. At the moment, if guests need transportation outside these hours, a taxi is indeed the best alternative. We are currently investigating the options to offer an all in one price for guests that need transportation outside the shuttle time table. Therefore, I would like to thank you for pointing out this issue as it enables us to find constructive solutions. I do hope you will give us another chance so that we can welcome you back again in our hotel!

Kent
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Stayed here 03/10 on our way home on a Leger tour. It`s a typical large Airport hotel, a bit impersonal. Rooms good size & comfortable with tea & coffee making facilities. Buffet breakfast was good although a bit spread out in different areas, so you tended to be going back & forth. Didn`t have dinner as ate on the way, was advised it was rather expensive, 25 euros per person for a buffet. Did the job as an overnight stop.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 30 September 2013

My first impression of this hotel as I arrived at about 22:55 today was not a good one. By the time I got checked in it was 23:01. I asked if they did room service as I needed a meal after a long day. They said the kitchens closed at 23:00 ! When pressed, the guy on the desk said he would check with the kitchen for me - 2 minutes later I got a flat NO.

So here I am with no food until breakfast tomorrow and given the hour a takeaway is probably not feasible.

For me the measure of a good hotel is not just what they can do for their customers under normal circumstances, but what they do under extraordinary circumstances. This hotel fails that test. I do not think I will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Phillip K
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 15 September 2013

So- I check into the hotel for my stay during a 5 day business trip. I ask the front desk if someone can help me with my luggage and take it to my room. Note that I am clearly 6 months pregnant. The guy at the front desk tells me- we don't have anyone to carry your luggage. You can drag your luggage to your room on the 5th floor-- really?!?!?! you are telling a pregnant women to carry her 50 lb bag herself + her laptop bag herself!??!?!?!? He repeated the same thing even after I tell him that I cant do that since I am pregnant. Anyways- I go ahead and carry my own bag . I enter my room-- how on earth am I supposed to lift that bag and put it on the luggage stand?? I then call the front desk again and the guy decides to come up and help me-- thank you very much- Had he shown this consideration before, I wouldn't be writing this review.
Hopefully my impression changes in the next few days I am staying here.
However, first impression is the last impression for me. Sorry- but I am going to some other hotel for my next business trip to Brussels.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank devyanigupta
Also consider these accommodations in or near Diegem
Novotel Brussels Airport
Parker Hotel Brussels Airport
Ibis Brussels Airport
Ibis Brussels Airport
#8 of 12 in Diegem

Been to Van der Valk Brussels Airport? Share your experiences!