“Great hotel for overnight if flying off”

Van der Valk Brussels Airport
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Diegem
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I chose this hotel for its proximity to Brussels Airport, as I was driving and had an early-morning flight. Instead of parking at the airport I wish I had not pre-booked anything, as it seems there is plenty of unrestricted free parking on the road outside the hotel, which is where I parked overnight in preference to the hotels 15€/day car-park. The reception desk staff were pleasant and helpful, printing out a boarding pass for free. In the room, there were some complimentary soft-drinks in the mini-bar and a hospitality tray. The free wifi was appreciated too. I wanted to have dinner in the restaurant but decided against it - the prices were just too high - and settled for a sandwich and beer at the pleasant bar, as there's nowhere else at all in the area of the hotel. I skipped breakfast too - at 21€ just too expensive..

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 23 August 2014

The hotel is comfortable and clean. The food is above average for the hotel's category. The rooms are comfortable but not over the top, as one might expect from hotels that cater mainly to business travelers. The location is convenient to the airport and the Diegem business parks, but the place is dead at night. This is not where you want to stay if you are coming to visit Brussels as a tourist!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank GalileoBlue
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We enjoyed a short break here whilst visiting Brussels for the flower carpet in the Grand Place and it is ideally situated. It may be next to the airport but the sound insulation is amazing - we heard nothing despite regular take offs and landings. It is about 20 minutes into the centre of Brussels and has all you need for a short break, indeed for a coach tour destination, it is very impressive.

Room Tip: At least pay a visit to the top floor, especially after dark - the views are amazing if not beautifu...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I have booked this hotel to be able to reach Airport on time without any hassles. But Hotel has limited sitting in their shuttle and they were not cooperative at all to arrange something for me to drop me Airport. Later they arranged a Taxi for me but said i need to pay 12 Euros from my pocket for the same. This was not good.
Also When i took the taxi to Airport, Taxi-Driver deliberately took longer route to the airport and he charged 18 Euros to us.

I am really disappointed with the hotel and i travel frequently to Brussels but will never stay to this hotel again. I will strongly not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Diane & I stayed 2 nights on a weekend coach tour to Brussels (Flower Carpet) & Bruges, we were greatly impressed at this well-appointed, comfortable hotel. We had a room on the sixth floor with quality fixtures & fittings and a great view from our floor-to-ceiling window. Breakfast buffet was entirely adequate and food overall was good quality if eye-wateringly expensive (tip - take your own food!). Only downside was bar staff's total inability to cope with the volume of trade in the evening as the hotel is on an Industrial Estate by the Airport and there's nowhere to go nearby.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Besides being a bit out of the way, the hotel gives a good return for the price.
The gym is modern (but small), rooms are well sized and comfortable, and front desk service was outstanding.
Breakfast for groups is better than average, bicycles are available for trips around the area, and the overall hospitality was very good.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2014

OK I have read the reviews and I am staggered that people would find it only "OK". This is a classy, calm and relaxing hotel with a superb cosy bar and out of its world restaurant for breaskfast. I got served immediately every time I went to bar and it was even bought down to me. Staff floated about taking orders all evening. I ate in the bar and it was perfect, limited yes but still plenty. The rooms are 4+ standard and there is a free mini bar even in there. You do not need anything more. Now for the plus side...a 4 to 5 min walk pleasently leads you to the train station that takes you directly into brussels.

If I am to be critical of one thing...and this is to the manager of the hotel. I understand the day I was departing was 15th Aug a national holiday in Belgium. But this should not warrant the shuttle bus to the airport off duty. That is a big 'no' and I was forced to pay a taxi to the airport. Your policy states that shuttle bus is on request....but nothing about no service on any particular day. Please change this and you have 100% support from me!

Well done still though....

Room Tip: None they are all nice. Mine looked onto the outside garden terrace.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Diegem
NH Brussels Airport
NH Brussels Airport
#2 of 12 in Diegem
Novotel Brussels Airport
Sheraton Brussels Airport Hotel
Parker Hotel Brussels Airport
Crowne Plaza Hotel Brussels Airport
Park Inn by Radisson Brussels Airport

Been to Van der Valk Brussels Airport? Share your experiences!