“I don’t think Holiday Inn will be my first choice next time I go to Brussel.”

Holiday Inn Brussels Airport
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Diegem
Fredrikstad, Norway
“I don’t think Holiday Inn will be my first choice next time I go to Brussel.”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The first impression when I arrived was not good. The outside of the hotel really needs a refurbishment.
The reception is renovated and looks good. The check inn was quick and the staff was helpful and friendly.
I got a room on the ground floor. The “road” to the room was through a corridor with meeting- and storage rooms and through an automatic double door. When I walked down the corridor I felt like I was in a warehouse not a hotel.
The room was a pleasant surprise. A large, clean and renovated room. Two queen beds and a lot of space. The bathroom was light and fresh (and in the morning it was good pressure in the shower and plenty of hot water).
The food at Charlie's Corner was good, but the service was not good. The main course arrived quickly, but they had forgotten accessory. The salad and the French fries arrived when we almost had finished the main course.
I don’t think Holiday Inn will be my first choice next time I go to Brussel.
The free shuttle service is a plus.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Boelen, Directeur général at Holiday Inn Brussels Airport, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to hear that our facilities and location have met your expectations.
We thank you for sharing your feedback with us, and I DO think to serve you again in the near future!!
Feel free to contact me for any assistance.

Regards,

Charles Boelen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 21 June 2014

First, I'd like to say how welcoming and friendly the staff are. I was even offered a lift when walking off the premises one morning, by one chap in a hotel car.

Our room is large, clean and comfortable. Despite some comments I've seen, the shower pressure on the 6th (UK counting) floor is okay, but I've been here a week so far and never had water hotter than warm. We have the shower temperature at its highest setting and it could still do with be a little hotter.

Given the hotel is near the airport, sound-proofing is okay, but not nearly as good as some others.

There's a good work space, though it's not possible to turn on the desk light without also turning on what passes as the main light.

There are 2 big drawers for clothes, but we're in the middle of a 2 week business trip and the wardrobe space is strictly limited, with a third of it taken up by the safe and minibar (which was empty bar 2 bottles of water, but which we use to keep shop-bought drinks cold). There's only one very trendy and not particularly comfortable easy chair. There's plenty of room for more wardrobes, but I suppose this hotel is aimed at airport overnight stays only.

The bathroom is an adequate size with a plastic sink and surround, which reminds of the bargain-basement Travelodge hotels in the UK. Hmmm...

There are lots of mirrors in our room, but the most accessible one is mounted about 4 feet off the ground, is 18 inches high and 6 feet wide. How short and obese is a typical guest?

The reception is light and airy but often understaffed. Guests tend to arrive on the airport shuttle and management seem to think that it's okay to serve them (and everyone else) with just one member of staff. Other hotels in the area tend to have 2-4 staff serving at these times. Expect 10-20 minutes wait.

Corridors are dark and gloomy, as is the windowless restaurant, which is also painted grey, just to lighten the mood. Not. We sometimes eat breakfast there, but I'd never eat an evening meal there. Staff have a propensity to push everyone together into the alcoves near the kitchen, too. This room is badly in need of a complete rebuild (to add windows, if nothing else).

We paid €10 per night for breakfast for the pair of us and, to be frank, this represents poor value for money. The in-hotel price of €23 per person is simply extortion. The hotel guide (on the TV) boasts this is the best American breakfast in town. How much does Brussels hate Americans?

There's a limited selection of cereals and what seems to be an okay Continental breakfast selection. The cooked breakfast is potato wedges (cold), mushrooms (weird-tasting and cold), streaky bacon (cold), mini-cocktail sausages (cold, though they do seem to be what a British person would recognise as a sausage), pancakes (which my wife thinks are lovely and she says are warm enough) and syrup, scrambled eggs (during the week served in a small pot containing a bite-sized portion and cold) and baked beans (also served in a small pot and weird-tasting; possibly curried). A restaurant that can't be bothered to serve a hot meal hot should be closed.

To be fair, my wife says the breakfast isn't bad, but it's absolutely nothing about which they should be boasting.

I was under the impression that there was 24 hour room service, which is important as I might not return from work until very late, but room service is only available until 2230. After that there's a refrigerated sandwich/salad/dessert/drink selection, which is good, but twice as expensive as what's available in the local village (albeit not at 11pm!).

The hotel has a large outdoor car park, but this costs €15 overnight. This is extortionate; as much as the centre of Brussels and more than parking at the airport. Expect to pay more if you're returning to the hotel and leaving again during the day. To put this in perspective, some local hotels offer free parking for the duration of your holiday if you stay with them the night before you fly!

Internet access is fast and free (always a good thing), but we get timed-out several times a day and it's tricky to trigger the log-in process.

There are better hotels available locally at the same price if you book ahead.

Dear Mr Andrew Nicola

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay.

Charles Boelen

Travellers are raving about these Diegem hotels

spain
Reviewed 18 June 2014

First and most likely last time I stay here. The wifi is free and fast and the bed comfortable. However there were a couple of large negatives.
Firstly the romos are old fashioned and have little to no soundproofing so I was woken when the person in the next room can back late. They put the tv on and although I do not think they had it on loud, due to the position of the inter-room doors being close to the tv I could hear it as if it was in the my room,
Secondly, when I arrived I wanted to work in my room so tried to order room service. I used the room service botton on the phone, no answer. I tried the restaurant button and same result. I did this several times and then got the restaurant direct number from the operator and still no response. In the end I did not eat which is not the end of the world but if I was running the hotel I would be thinking there is 25 - 30€ mínimum that was lost on one person. How much was lost over the night. This is a cardinal sin in the hospitality business.
The romos are adequate but nothing special and the exterior of the building is old and run down.

Room Tip: Shuttle from the aitport is on the 15 and 45 mins and goes from level 0 section E and from the hotel...
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay.. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I am staying in Brussels for business over the next weeks and I´m trying out hotels. For this one, the entrance was strange, too many people mixed with a faint restaurant grease smell probably due to a faulty air extraction system. The hotel sometimes seems very old yet very new.... For example, the entrance and rooms seem newly refurbished and pretty (quite amazing), yet the hallways to the rooms and the bathrooms are old and decaying. I first got room 344 which is the same floor as the restaurant even though it is at the opposite end of the corridor, the whole corridor and my room smelled of restaurant grease..... I actually had to change rooms after 20 minutes in my room. I was moved to 239. It didn´t smell of grease, just smelled oddly old, Even though the room was pretty, newly refurbished (not the bathroom), and quite large, I didn´t like it..... Plus every 5 minutes I couldn´t hear the TV from the airplanes passing by. I was also very hungry so I asked for the beef fillet which was 25EUR, I ate it but it was horrible.
I actually decided to check out the next day even though I had more days planned. I ended up checking into another hotel which I already know.

Room Tip: as far away from the 3rd floor as possible (restaurant is there) with a room opposite the entrance...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Boelen, Manager at Holiday Inn Brussels Airport, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Mr. Andres C,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us.
First of all our sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused.

We will immediately investigate the issues with the telephone line during your stay and of course the kitchen and A/C systems.

Would it be possible to contact us in direct with your personal contact details?

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind Regards,

The Holiday Inn Brussels Airport management.
sales@hibrusselsairport.com
Reviewed 17 June 2014

What a lovely evening spent in this modern hotel! Very difficult to find…wouldn't come up on GPS and the address given on their correspondence did not help us…the name 'Diegem' appeared nowhere on our confirmation, please do something to help international travellers.

Other than this, the rooms and amenities are excellent complete with efficiently furnished and practically placed furnishings. The lobby is spacious, uncluttered and while austere by North American standards, you feel as if you are standing in the future!

The buffet breakfast, while not included in the price of our room, was extremely reasonable for what re received which was a complete buffet meal with everything you would expect to find cooked very well!

I would definitely include this stop next time i travel to or through Brussels airport having been to another hotel in the same area which was nice but definitely not to this level of hotel experience. Well done!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I always stay there when I don t want to go downtown. Rooms are very nice and comfortable, bathrooms clean with bathtub, indoor swimming pool, huge parking, shuttle to the airport. Standard Hol Inn fare but it s worth mentioning this one is consistent.
Try to avoid rooms with a connecting door (unless you like hearing everything the neighbour does), and the 4th floor rooms are the best, with complimentary wine in the fridge.
The breakfast buffet is expansive AND expensive, but there is free wifi. Parking however is not free.
If you have anything to do for business in the area or want to be close to the airport for early or late flights, this is for me the best hotel in that neighbourhood (and I have tried them all).

Room Tip: 4th floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Galway
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights.

Room, meeting room, food, shuttle service to airport: all you need is there from the complimentary fresh bottle of water to the ironing board.

Staff is friendly and helpful.
Very adapted to business travel and much better than most hotels in the area.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business