“Not the best” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Diegem
Manchester UK
“Not the best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

After a two week business stay at the Thon Airport Hotel, (pronounced Ton) hotel in Diegem near Brussels, I feel glad to be home.
It’s not a bad hotel but on the other hand it’s not a home from home. Things like the restaurant being closed Friday, Saturday and Sunday don’t help when you stay any length of time. The hotel is situated in a ‘Hotel complex’ along with the likes of Holliday Inn, Ibis and other lesser known chains on the edge of the industrial area of Evere. You are cut off from eating places there, non exist without a taxi ride or the bus service. There is a train station about half a mile away which will Wisk you into Brussels in a short time but that don’t help when you’re tired and hungry. Bar snacks are available for between 9 and 15 Euro’s and when it is open, meals in the hotel cost from 19 to 23 Euros and not that good.
As others have mentioned, the breakfast available is ok but pricey at 20 Euros per day.
Internet is available – the first hour of use during your stay is free, but is charged a quite a high rate thereafter, unlimited use is 50 Euros. If you stay a night, one hours is ok but if you are staying longer it’s hand in pocket time whatever the time you spend there.
Rooms are fair but a bit jaded and probably could be better for the price you pay. There is a gimmick where if you choose not to have your room serviced one day, you will receive a 5 Euros voucher which can be redeemed in the bar or restaurant and over a two week period these can mount up.
The staff are friendly and helpful and I cannot fault them.
Parking is described as secure, but this only means there are barriers at the entrance to an otherwise open car park so don’t leave valuable in your car and at 15 Euros a night, just a bit OTT.
Stayed in better stayed in worse. The Thon is ok, pricey for what you get, but it holds a good convenient, position for the business area of Evere.
Improve the eating and drop the internet costs, give the rooms a lick of paint and a modern look and the Thon would be a much better place.

Room Tip: Back or front, all quiet even the passing planes don't disturb.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
crmthon, Front Office Manager at Thon Hotel Brussels Airport, responded to this review, 20 September 2014
Dear Csit22,

Thank you for sharing your experience with others during your recent stay in Thon Hotel Brussels Airport.
Our restaurant is open during weekdays. I hope you received recommendations by the reception of nearby restaurants in the centre of the village Diegem. If you do not feel like walking, food can be delivered to your room by an external company.

The train to Brussels is only at a small ten minutes walk from the hotel situated.

When having booked on our own website or by phone or email, you can benefit from FREE internet during your stay.

I'm glad you enjoyed our buffet breakfast at € 14,00 and the € 5 vouchers you can redeem in our restaurant.
Thank you for liking our helpful and friendly staff. They do their outmost best to make you feel welcome and appreciated.

Hope to see you again during your next trip abroad.

Eline Egter van Wissekerke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brasov, Romania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

Small Rooms, cheap looking, basic and quite cold.......probably standard for a hotel nearby airport and for one night stand... The receptionist quite impolite (maybe because I was est -european, speaks a poor English language and is completely unable to make clear his requests.
Remote control of Tv not working......I ask at reception for a new battery , they gave me a remote from an empty room (funny for me). Because I must check in in airport early in the morning the person from reception propose to me to gave a sandwich to replace breakfast......but at 5 AM nothing. Don't know and didn't ask the reason but they shouldn't promise if they are not sure about what they say. Wi-Fi internet free for 2 hours but they block an amount directly from visa card for 3 weeks...to be sure that you are not use without pay.
Taxi was there at promised hour. After 1 meter there were 7 eur to pay. 23 eur through Airport entrance. I am not that fancy person but I must say that they offer little for what they charge.
There are so many hotels in this area.... just choose another one! Ibis was better for me 2 years earlier

Room Tip: Ask for another hotel. Or if you cannot change.....ask a room far away from elevator
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Adrian P,

Thanks a lot for your opinion on the website of Trip Advisor.

I'm sorry that we could not meet your expectations. Our rooms are indeed not large but comfortable and cozy. I do hope you had a good night sleep!

Due to sickness my colleage from an other department was kind enough to help out at the reception. I'm sorry if she could not help you like a receptionist does. Unfortunately she speaks a bit of English.

Breakfast buffet starts during the week at 06:30 and in weekends at 07:30 hours. For an early flight you have the oppertunity to order early breakfast already at 05:00 AM. The early breakfast also takes place in the restaurant. I'm sorry if this was not clear.

Wi-FI is free for 1 hour except if you book directly on our own website or by email or phone. Then you'll receive during your entire stay free WI-FI.

An amount is automatically blocked on your card depending what is already on your bill which of course will be unblocked upon payment by card.

I hope you've noticed the schedule for our free shuttle bus in the hotel and on all websites.

Hope we can welcome you again during your next visit!

Eline Egter van Wissekerke

Travellers are raving about these Diegem hotels

Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Staff helpful and efficient.
Price - pretty competitive.
Breakfast - not bad at all. Fresh and a decent choice.
Bar - limited choice of beer (disappointing in Belgium!!)

I wasn't aware of the shuttle bus from the airport - which would have saved a cab fare.

Major gripe - the bed consisted of two small mattresses pushed together to make a double. The mattresses were both concave - as a result I ended up rolling into the middle of the two - which was pretty uncomfortable. To compound my insomnia, the pipes started clattering at about 5 a.m.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
crmthon, Front Office Manager at Thon Hotel Brussels Airport, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Bobd606,

Thanks a lot for having taken the time to write your review on the website of Trip Advisor.

I'm pleased to read that you appreciated our helpful and efficient staff and liked the buffet breakfast with the fresh offered products.
In our bar 'Portofino' you can choose from 2 delicious Belgian beers from the draft. In bottle we sell several kind of Belgian beers.

Free shuttle service is offered every morning and evening on fix hours.

I'm sorry that the noise woke you up. Our keeper is aware of the situation and is looking for a solution.
Please request for your next reservation a double bed.

I hope we can welcome you back when you're planning your next visit to Belgium.

Boise, Idaho
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

Our return flight home was cancelled so chose a hotel close to the airport with shuttle service. This was the only worthwhile perk of the hotel along with a continental breakfast. The restaurant was closed for lunch & dinner service so walked to the nearby Holiday Inn for an overpriced meal. The room was clean but very small, I think the twin bed was 3 feet across and perhaps 5'5" long. The lights on my side of the room were out of order. Hall and room noise could easily be heard. This was the most expensive room of the trip and the least enjoyable.

Room Tip: I needed to research the area around the airport, I think there was a better quality and value hotel...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear,

How inconvenient that your return flight home was cancelled. Hope you arrived safely at home with only a day delay?

I hope you enjoyed our buffet breakfast, the free shuttle service and our cozy but comfortable rooms. Thank you for appreciating the cleanliness of our room.

Food can be ordered in (from an external company) and comes with a delivery service to your room.

I'm sorry that on one side of the room the light wasn't working and that other guests were not silent in the corridor. I do hope this did not have effect on your night sleep.

Wishing you a lovely afternoon and hope we can welcome you back during your next stop over/visit!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

Located close Brussels Airport and with a large car-park the Thon Hotel seems like an ideal place to stay - I did for five nights - but once the booking was secured this image began to evaporate very quickly. First the car-park, large and virtually empty costs €15 per night! I was already paying a significant cost for staying but parking in an empty parking lot!!! So for five nights my car was located away from the hotel on a local insecure and poorly lit street. Secondly, the rooms were clean and tidy, but attention to detail was lacking. Kettle & drinks sackets were inconveniently placed on on a lower shelf where the kettle could not be plugged in and over the period was allowed to run out of some drinks. But the worst was the fact that the week I stayed the bar & restaurant were shut, meaning I had to go to another hotel for four nights to eat. If you wanted to 'save the environment' and not have your room 'serviced' you got a €5 voucher but couldn't spend it as... wait for it... the bar and restaurant were shut! Besides, rather than just save on laundry - which is what this scheme normally means - i.e. you keep the same towels for the week - in this case, my bins didn't get emptied and my drinks did not get refilled. This is more a scheme for saving money than the environment and is really not good enough!

I may not have wanted the Ritz, but I do expect the basics for this price. Overall the bed was comfy, the room OK and the breakfast was good but this experience was seriously tarnished by the other matters. However, the receptionist Luc was a delight and a credit to the company. All things considered I can not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: A room in another hotel would be better!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank revcole7
crmthon, Front Office Manager at Thon Hotel Brussels Airport, responded to this review, 30 October 2015
Dear Guest,

Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

This hotel offers average accommodation in average quality, average service, average cleaning, average breakfast and an average bed.
Here you can sleep and eat, if you don't expect anything extraordinary.
There are free shuttle to the airport 5 minutes away.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
crmthon, Front Office Manager at Thon Hotel Brussels Airport, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Claus 007,

Thank you for posting a comment on the Tripadvisor's website.

I hope you had the time to experience a delicious meal in our restaurant 'Le Bistro' and enjoyed the facilities in the comfortable and cozy Thon Brussels Airport Hotel.

Our free transport to and from the airport is offered frequently every morning and evening.

Situated in the heart of Brussels you can enjoy an even more relaxing stay in one of our luxury 4 and 5 star properties.

I'm looking forward to seeing you back in one of our properties.

Aberdeen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

The final leg of our Belgian tour took us to Brussels for an overnighter before our flight home; hotel is in a good location with regards to the airport. Check in was simple and efficient, our room was on the 1st floor. Room was bright but a little on the small side, however this is usually the case with an airport hotel. Bathroom was nice and clean with all the amenities you would expect. We travelled into Brussels in the afternoon, it is a fair distance from the city centre but with the sat-nav it was easy enough. Restaurant was ok if a little over-priced for the product. Restaurant area was clean and tidy as well as the bar area. The next morning, checking out was simple but one thing I must comment on is the parking issue, charging guests for on-site parking is frankly wrong and the 15 euros we were charged quite ridiculous for a hotel, I have no issue with paying a couple of euros for parking but 15 euros, come on. I accept that there are some work places nearby and that they have maybe had others parking there illegally but then the issue should be taken with them and not the customer. All things considered it was a nice place to stay for the night but the parking issue is a real turn off.

Room Tip: Beware of the parking charges.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Donser83,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback on your recent experience with us.

I'm content to learn that your check in and check out was efficient and that you appreciated the cleanliness and the amenities in our bed rooms, bar and restaurant.

Parking charges are quite common in Airport hotels, however please be informed that we do offer a special holiday package with 2 weeks of free parking.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Thon Hotel Brussels Airport at some point in the near future.