“poor, both performance and rooms”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Danica

Hotel Danica
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Horsens
Ruhr Area, Germany
“poor, both performance and rooms”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

I don't plan to ever return.
When we arrived (on a Sunday evening), we had to ring the bell (reception was not staffed at that time), we heard someone pick up, but instead of greeting us through the intercom (we tried "Hello?" twice), only the automatic door was opened. This continued when we went into the lobby: no one to be seen, no welcome, all deserted...after looking around, we found some envelopes on the counter - one for each of our group. Of course, we also had to go discover for ourselves where our rooms could be. Reception opening times be as they may - a more professional and warm welcome would've been nice.
I had a room adjoining the staircase - and despite smoking being prohibited in the rooms, my room had the clear smell of old tobacco smoke (all my clothes smelled smoky when I unpacked them at home). The booklet of the hotel said that if someone smoked, it would incur a extra cleaning fee...well, I guess they had taken the fee from one of my predecessors, but I must say the extra cleaning afterwards had failed!
Speaking of cleaning: the bathrooms seemed either like the mortar between the tiles hadn't been properly cleaned off or there was already water residue settling heavily (not only in my room). Plus the whole bathroom was pretty much one basin, but the shower drain didn't work properly (also: not only in my room) - leading to flooding the whole room if you didn't turn off the water quickly.
The interior of the room was okay. The noise wasn't okay, at least one night - it sounded like they had a laundry drier running next to me - at midnight! Fortunately, I sleep pretty soundly (but didn't sleep well). The breakfast was alright.
To sum it up: I wouldn't return, service and rooms were not what you'd expect.

Room Tip: For sure don't take the rooms off the staircase.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Odense, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2013

We spend 2 nights at the Danica Hotel and was very satisfied.

Nice clean rooms, not the biggest bathroom, but okay, lots of parking space just in front of the hotel and a restaurant with a very good breakfast buffet

Only minus - we asked for a room with a queensize bed, but got one with 2 single beds put together - a bit anoying when they start to move away from eachother :-)

Friendly staff and good atmosphere

All the best from us

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a frontside view - the backside view isn't that great :-)
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Aarhus - Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

I sure expected a little more comfort and luxuriousity for the mony than we got at Danica Hotel in Horsens! Small room, cheep furniture, bare walls, no TV, and a view to the parkingplace - not what you expect from a hotel with a rating (****) of that kind. BUT the food was extraordinaire and a nice customers service at the restaurant.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
'Nige
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2009

Receptionist was friendly and helpful at check-in. Room was small but clean.

Dinner in the hotel was good, but very expensive.

Good selection at breakfast

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank IfitsMonday...
Copenhagen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2008

The hotel is situated in the centrum of Horsens. The staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was superb. The food in the restaurant was excellent.
Our room was clean and 4-star standard. The standard of the hotel is above average.

• Liked — The food
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank mp2300
Dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2007

My advice is don't even consider this hotel if you plan to stay in Horsens. I stayed there for 5 days and despite it being the busiest time of the year for them the management were on holidays. The left a skeleton staff to look after a fully booked hotel with disasterous results. Several days i had to ask to have the room made up as the 'cleaner' did not take the initiative to do this. I was told that servicing a room consisted of pulling up the sheets (but not changing them until you checked out) and emptying the bin. I'm not joking (and this is a 4 star hotel!!). The bathroom was never cleaned and on the last 2 days of the stay the smell on the first floor was so bad that I alsmost called the health department. I suspect that there is a sewage problem that needs to be addressed before it causes a serious health issue. Don't waste your money on this hotel (it not even a 2-star). You'd be better of sleeping in your car.

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — Where do I start; read the review
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank travellinglobster

Travellers are raving about these Horsens hotels

Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2005

I am writing this complaint at 1:30 in the morning from the Danica Best Western in Horsens, Denmark. The reason for this complaint is it is 1:30 in the morning and right below my room is a party. I came down at 11:00 p.m and 12:00 a.m. to complain, to no avail. At 11:00 p.m. i was told there was nothing they could do, but that they would make a note of it. I told the girl at the front desk who was wearing a "I only sleep with the best" shirt that i was pregnant and very tired. She said she would make a note of it.
I came down again at 12:00 and was told by another employee that if i had said something, they could have taken care of it. I expalined that I had. They said that they would take care of it, but here it is 1:30 and i am typing this email becuase the pounding on my floor fromm the music is keeping me awake.
Secondly, eventhough we put the "please clean the room sign" out, we did not get service today. We had used the towels for two days (we like to conserve). They brought us towels later.
I have stayed in many hotels around the world, and this is no 4 Star.
Third, i had to come down to ask for toilet paper.
Thanks, Best Western. I wish you could hear the sarcasm in my voice.

7 Thank nanaeito13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horsens
Best Western Jorgensens Hotel
#5 of 8 in Horsens
Hotel Skanderborghus
Hotel Skanderborghus
#6 of 9 in Skanderborg

Been to Hotel Danica? Share your experiences!