“Should not be called an Hotel”
Review of Hotel Jules

Hotel Jules
Reviewed 20 May 2013

In my opinion this is not an Hotel.There is no foyer or Residents lounge.No tea making facilities or no plug sockets.We had to climb a narrow stairs with our luggage.The toiletries consisted of 2 small bottles of shampoo and small bar of soap The central heating boiler/tank overhead in the bathroom never stopped making loud noise making it difficult to sleep. Walls are very thin so we could all the sounds been made by next door occupants. The only good thing about this place was its location. It is overpriced . I would not ever stay there again

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Maura07

Reviewed 31 December 2012

On arrival first impression was good but upon closer inspection the hotel left a lot to be desired.
The photos on the web site are very cleverly taken and do not show the full picture of the hotel, it seems it would like to be portrayed as a boutique style hotel with prices to match but is fails miserably, it takes more than a coat of grey paint and a few modern pictures to bring it up to standard with fixtures and fitting looking dated or missing all together.
We booked two rooms and were given one on the first floor and one on the top floor.
The first floor room was very small but clean and had a double bed that had seen better days, a built in cubby hole that was the wardrobe and a window that looked out on to other rooftops so no view there then. In the bathroom was the usual bath, sink etc but here they had painted over the tiles with said grey paint, there was a shower into the bath but with no place to hang the shower head when washing so you had to sit in the bath anyway and the toilet took forever to refill after flushing, so slow in fact it was quicker to use the shower into the toilet bowl.
The second room reeked of smoke but maybe this was not the fault of the hotel but the previous occupant although the maid who cleaned was a smoker. We were offered another room but with only a double bed and we needed two singles so had to stay put. This room was larger than the first but was not without it's problems namely central heating that produced a constant water trickling noise that made it impossible to sleep, why not turn it off? It's get cold in December! The room did contain a safe but as it was not bolted down to anything what the point! Again beds not up to standard luckily we were only here for two nights.
The floors do creak but it's an old building so to be expected although the walls are thin we could hear the neigbours next door.
The best part of the hotel was it's location right in the centre and the self-serve continental breakfast was ok but nothing special (the free wi-fi seemed pretty quick too)
Le Touquet is a very pretty town to visit in December with Xmas lights everywhere but next time I think I'll stay somewhere a bit more upmarket as this hotel seemed vastly overpriced for the quality of accommodation.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor room with street view
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Terry P
Reviewed 1 December 2012

Having arrived in Le Touquet following a delayed ferry crossing to Calais, this was a 'walk-in-off-the-street' arrival. Our welcome was warm and genuine. With no reservation, we were offered a delightful room, at a discounted (out of season?) price.

The staff and management were most accommodating, and gave useful advice regarding local parking practices.

The hotel is within easy walking distance of local restaurants, shops and the sea front.

Room Tip: Room 11 on the ground floor was clean, quiet and convenient.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2012

The location is excellent, situated right off the main street leading down to the sea in Le Touquet. We arrived to be greeted by a locked and empty reception area, until a girl appeared from a house round the corner to let us in.

We took our own cases up the stairs to a creaky and poky bedroom with the bare minimum inside. The bathroom was clean but completely empty with out even soap to wash your hands or anything to shower with. We were initially very angry about this but were told the next day that it was a mistake .

We didn’t have the hotel breakfast as it was a basic continental offering and we thought it would be better to pick something up in Le Touquet itself.

Overall, it was pretty dire – dark, dingy and cold, but I didn’t expect much more for the price that we had paid (£50) – in which case I would say that if you only need a place to rest your head at night, the go for it. I’m not sure whether this should be called a ‘hotel’ though, more of a B&B type arrangement as the service was basically non existent and we were left to fend for ourselves without any soap!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LondonAvA
Reviewed 14 November 2012

I stayed here, paying a little extra than I needed to for the minimum room rate here rather than in other hotels I know in town, because the pictures looked pretty smart and it is relatively new. I also turned down free accommodation with family to have space with my partner, and better sleep. It was a very busy time for me and the weekend was a Christmas trip to visit family - so we were going to be out all of the days and only in the hotel to sleep. Hence, looking at the photos, I was pleased to see everything was in order for a nice stay under these conditions - clean rooms, new furnishings, clean and satisfactory bathrooms.

However, on the first night I couldn't sleep at all. My feet were actually higher than my head in bed, the mattress was lumpy, and it felt like the entire floor was on a slope.

The problem was the bed was on a slant, but more importantly the mattresses are incredibly cheap. I used to work in hospitality, so I have some experience in these matters, and the mattresses they use are substandard for professional use - I'm not even sure you'd have this in your spare room at home! It only measured approximately 3-4 inches in hight, it had lost its support in areas from use, squashed down to almost nothing under weight, and it was so uncomfortable I couldn't do another sleepless night after a long week at work, and in preparation for another long week at work.

After a sleepless night I complained to staff, but unfortunately they weren't interested. I said I could not stay in that room for another night, and all they said was that there was no problem with the room or the bed, and that if I cancelled now I would of course lose the money for the room for all three nights. I asked for another room but they said it was not possible, and in any case it would be exactly the same. So I plumped for an executive room at quite a bit extra. I did ask if they could upgrade me for free, but they weren't having any of it. Which is a shame as the problem was entirely with them. And I visit the area on a regular basis, and am a faithful customer to other businesses who benefit from repeat custom.

I was now paying much more than the Red Fox which has better location, better rooms and of course better service, and paying more than other locally run pensions, like the Armide, as well as other Boutique hotels that are now popping up, like the Victoria. So in summary, if you stay here, pay for the top room or go somewhere else. And given their attitudes to customer satisfaction, and the quality of the rooms, you're still better off going to one of the many other superior hotels and B&Bs. Don't be fooled. the photos make this looks like a boutique hotel, but it is simply a B&B/pension, dressed up to deliberately fool you into paying more.

Some people have mentioned food and breakfasts. To be honest, if you know anything about hotels and particularly the French hospitality industry, you would know not to eat here at all, just from a look at the poorly turned-out dining area. Which is why I didn't.

I would also like to point out, on the dubious-style over content issue, the rooms were very poorly renovated. So fixtures were already starting to fall apart, doors don't close flush (properly), the rooms have zero functioning spare power points (no good for work travel or if you simply want to recharge a phone!), they don't have proper lighting installations, and it's very much a bit of a mess when you realise all of this, plus the poor quality mattresses.

At the end of the day, you go to a hotel to sleep, and if you can't do that then you should get your money back. And management should have a vested interest in making sure you're satisfied with your stay, not take your money and claim it's nothing to do with them.

You are strongly advised to go elsewhere!

Room Tip: If picking a room here, I would recommend one of the ones located as far away from this building as...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank uncledavey80
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Nice little hotel located in a quiet street just seconds from the rue Saint-Jean and market area. One of the better small hotels in Le Touquet, compared to the four or five I've stayed at in the past, with a nice breakfast area, laid back young owners and cute resident dog, Zoe (she joined us for breakfast, in fact!). Room was light and had everything you need for a short stay. Almost every available parking space in Le Touquet has been made 'payant' in the last year or so (at 2 euros an hour!), but the large car parks on the seafront are just a few minutes walk from the Hotel Jules and allow 24 hours parking for 7 euros. The Hotel Jules is a convenient option all round.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sophia D
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Superb location in the centre of town near many restaurants and bars. Parking is an issue but if you're prepared to walk for 10 minutes free spaces can be found. We were on the top floor which is accessed by a fairly steep and narrow staircase; fine if you're fit but could be a problem otherwise. Room was comfortable, nicely decorated and clean. Evening meals are not available but that's actually a benefit as there are loads of interesting places to eat nearby. Breakfast was adequate but nothing special. Market days in Le Touquet are Wednesday and Saturday; just round the corner (turn left out of the hotel and straight down the road) and well worth a visit. If you get fed up of the hustle and bustle chill out in Etaples just the other side of the river Canche. The town square is attractive and the fish market has a restaurant above.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple