“Birthday trip 2nd leg!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Crawley, United Kingdom
“Birthday trip 2nd leg!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013 via mobile

I have always wanted to stay at a spa hotel & my partner booked this as part if my birthday celebrations last year. The hotel itself really needs a facelift as others have mentioned but overall it was ok. We had a room overlooking the beach & to wake up to the sea crashing on the beach was wonderful! I had 2 days worth of water spa treatments booked as part of the package which were good but be warned they don't speak English (or pretend not to!) so it was quite amusing at times! The seawater pool, once you get used to the salt, was wonderful altho another warning men will need speedo or similar as no shorts allowed! If you forget don't buy from the boutique, walk into town, as the prices are astromical! We had breakfast which was lovely but walked into town again for our evening meals. I would definitely go back but maybe not for the treatments.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Compiegne, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

The standard of a premier inn at more than double the price. Service standard, not exceptional. Rooms ok,not even a bin in the toilet, products boring, premier inn has better, nothing special unless you pay an extra 60 euros for a sea view but then it comes with a view of the exterior of the hotel, concrete bunkers in desperate need of paint ! Swimming pool, nice view of the beautiful beach however the otherside is all concrete, not even some decent plants or coloured lights to cheer it up ! Good restaurant, expensive but you are paying for the view, great breakfast with unlimited choice. Receptionist didn't even ask the standard " did you enjoy your stay" but happily took my credit card on checking out... Over rated hotel could do some redecorating and up their game a bit more....

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

We are regular guests at Le Touquet Novotel; we go for the location - right on the English Channel. Great walks along the beach and a nice Thalassso if you're fond of that sort of thing. Because of its beautiful location, the hotel is often full and doesn't really have to make much of an effort to stay popular. Yet the restaurant is a notch better than what you would normallly expect from a Novotel (we usually get the mussels "marinières") and the personnel is very pleasant and helpful. The only negative used to be the fact that the place was getting a litle run down with time. Well, we noticed the carpets have been change; some rooms have been refurbished. The furniture is still a little worn though, but we suppose that this too will be replace dwith time. In conclusion, this is still a place we can recommend for a relaxing stay on the sea-side.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2013

From the outside, Novotel Le Touquet is nothing to write home about. In fact, you might find its 60s brutalist concrete architecture – cruelly compared by my son as a ‘council block next to the sea’ – a bit too hard to bear.

However, you’d have to be fairly brutalist to withstand the battering the building receives from the resort’s iodine-infused winds. Besides, the moment my son discovered the hotel offers free X-Box usage near Reception, he instantly forgave and forgot.

Albeit some years ago, they did a good job of softening the interior architecture, and although a refurb of certain parts of the hotel such as the main restaurant would be desirable, the place holds together pleasingly in an updated 60s kind of way, with nowhere we saw grubby or poorly maintained (though other reviewers have provided evidence to the contrary).

A few steps down from Reception, and none at all from the white sand beach (it’s right on it), sits my favourite spot, the bar. At 6.30pm, with rest of the family safely in the pool (we’ll dive in to that later), or on the X-Box, it’s a sublime place to chill with a glass of white, served with complimentary nuts and bolts, at a surprisingly reasonable €4 a glass.

Last time we stayed here, the bar played host to a local magician and vocalist called Eddie. Eight years on, he still performs here, but curiously, now on Tuesday evenings. Bring back Eddie on Saturday evenings for weekenders like us, we say.

For dinner, we debated the fifteen-minute walk into Le Touquet to choose from its many and varied restaurants, or to sample the hotel’s own fayre. I lost, and we stayed put.

The restaurant’s sixties picture windows look right out over beach and sea, all of which was lost on us at this time of day and year. We ate very well indeed, with the waiter’s recommendation of a warming beef stew and winter vegetables a most appropriate one. The availability of a children’s menu and table wine by the 50cl carafe allowed us to limit the food bill and avoid the premium-priced wines by the bottle, so our family of five dined for around €70.

Getting back to the pool, it often features in reviews, mainly due to what some UK visitors view as an odd regulation about which swimwear you can, and cannot, wear. In short, you can only wear Lycra swimwear (which DOESN’T need to specifically be Speedo as others have suggested), and you must wear a swimming hat. The former is a regulation you’ll find in pretty well any swimming pool in France, and the latter is for hygiene. After all, this is, first and foremost, a thalassotherapy pool, not a leisure one. If these aren’t dealbreakers for you, my advice is just go with the flow. Also be aware the pool water is drawn from the sea, so if your sensitivity is to salt in your eyes, as opposed to reactions against strange Gallic swimming pool regulations, wear goggles.

Rooms are served in three categories, ‘dune view’, ‘sea view’ and ‘sea view with balcony’. As others have noted, the first of these is misleading, and I would urge the hotel to ditch ‘dune’ in favour of ‘car park’. Although the car park (and, worryingly, your car) receives a dusting of sand from the beach just beyond, the impressive dunes lie to the front and sides of the hotel.

Inside, the accommodation is tidy and compact, but well-proportioned functional furniture prevents pokiness. The free room-safe is reassuring. There’s a Wi-Fi signal, just. Windows could be kept cleaner – yes, the cloudiness is caused by the salty sea air, but even so, we’re paying for a sea view, so let’s have one.

Only bother with a balcony if you’re staying in the summer months. You wouldn’t last two minutes on it in that brutal wind.

Room Tip: Avoid 'Dune View' rooms, as they look over the car park. Pay extra for a sea view, or in low...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TripOverLondon
Little Rock, Arkansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

Extremely expensive for the poor quality it delivers. They make you pay 4-star price for their prime location and the Spa but they deliver you the quality of a 1-star motel.

My family booked 3 rooms for 3 nights before New Year's eve 2013. I was given room 120. Very noisy, close to the elevator and close to the bar. I asked to change rooms with another member of my family who does not mind noise and had not arrived yet. The staff refused saying I was single and the other room was for two people. After my other family members arrived, we found out the rooms were identical and switched rooms without telling the front desk.

Then one morning, I woke up and walked to the window. To my surprise I stepped on a very cold and wet carpet by the window. During an overnight storm, the window had leaked water inside the room. The reason for that leak was a busted window seal (enjoy the pictures). And it was the same in my other family members rooms!

The condition of the room is awful. Rusted door sills, exposed screws, dirty carpet, terrible bedding (avoid it if your back is sensitive) enhanced by IKEA style furniture and no real coffee pot but just a water warmer and Nescafe...

Also be aware that the outside parking is grossly insufficient, perhaps on purpose to force you pay an arm and a leg for the underground parking.

If you really want to go to that place anyway for a spa treatment of several days, I recommend you find another hotel in Le Touquet, or a Bed & Breakfast and commute back and forth. This way you won't feel like you are taken advantage of.

For sure, I am never going back to this place.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank pcalit

Travellers are raving about these Le Touquet – Paris-Plage hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012 via mobile

For readers of this essay, please read on under the understanding that I have acquired a taste for both quality and service, that would place me somewhere near the stratosphere on a "snobometer" (patent pending). So readers the first question I asked myself during this New Year trip to the Novotel Le Touquet is who allocates the star ratings to hotels? This Novotel is rated a four star experience, let's spend a few moments examining that status. We chose a sea view room, it's a bit grubby, the window is broken and subsequently we enjoy the real wailing of the wind and as a bonus have our own leak generated paddling pool under the window. Whilst examining the room standards in relation to the star rating, the room is basic, with a pebble dashed dirty cream wall and ceiling effect. Points though for fridge, because you will be wanting to buy your own breakfast and I personally like the separated loo and bathroom. The sea view saves the day. As I lie on my bed and think of the words I would use to describe this room...basic, ordinary, drab, functional...I fail to equate these words to a four star experience.

Service in France is not a concept that sits comfortably with the Gallic spirit. The service in this hotel is bumblingly absent. Examples " do you have change for 2 Euros to use the swimming pool locker?" response "no" . " My wife booked this hotel specifically for the spa and Wellness experience she has just been told everything is booked solid for the next five days could you find a slot for her? Response "no". Overall the staff are friendly, but pretty useless at the same time. Maybe on a French service rating this would meet a four star ranking....if you hail from the developed world you should probably strike it as a 2.

Now let us get to the first big area of deception. Firstly the Thalassa...When I think of Thalassa I think of luxury, pampering, service and the beautiful people around me. The Thalassa and pool are shared with the much cheaper Ibis hotel in fact it connects the two hotels. (why did'nt we book the chaper hotel and use the more expensive facilities.) Despite eventually managing to find a cancellation spot for my wife, she had lost all inclination to enter what I described as the "Wellness supermarket". The waiting areas is resplendent with big sweaty middle aged grannies and the beauty staff would not look out of place in the Hungarian shot putt team.

Other winges include that apart from the swimming pool there is bugger all to do! The town is 15 minutes walk. And the swimming pool is salt water, 25 meters long, nicely heated...and packed with every peeing toddler from the cheap Ibis, the over rated Novotel and day trippers to the Thalassa. Yuk.

So I would rate this a three star experience, which makes it a bit expensive does it not!

Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Al S
Stafford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012

3 night stay for the New year 2013 745.80€ and that's only for the room
Carpets on passage way to room looked as though it had not been hoovered for weeks but
Staff were hoovering ( think they need new Hoover)
Room very tired (burn marks on the side board damage to the table ,scratches to door,door jams and skirting board. cracks in wall and most walls covered in white pebble dash which could have done with re painting).The bed was very comfortable and clean ,the towels were clean but nearing their sell by date, although supposed to be a superior room at 295€ for our first night I think I have stayed in better Hotels for 50€. This is very poor value and I cannot understand how they get away with it other than it is on the beach and has a heated swimming pool. The down side of its position is it is a good 15 mins walk to the main part of town
The adjoining Ibis carpets and passageways looked far better and you would have thought this was the superior Hotel but infact had we stayed there, it would have been less than half the price. Very disappointed ,I only hope New Year Dinner lives up to its 180€ per person price tag. I will let you know but I will probably never stay here again

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends