“Clean, decent and good value”
Review of Hotel Bristol

Hotel Bristol
Hertfordshire
“Clean, decent and good value”
Reviewed 19 May 2012

24 golfers were in our party and we stayed there in May, and after the dreadful Red Fox Hotel from last year we were all very pleased with the Bristol. The rooms were roomy and very clean with good appointments therein.

Staff were good too. My only gripe is the cost of the on site bar. 5 euros for a large beer is acceptable, but 3.50 for a small glass of flat lemonade is taking the mickey!

Breakfast we the continental type and try as hard as we could no one could manage to get the egg boiling trough to actually boil an egg...either rock hard or the came out with a dribbling oozing mess.

Overall, a fine place to stay and in a good location.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Bath
Reviewed 7 May 2012

The staff at The Bristol are wonderfully warm and welcoming, and so very helpful. The public rooms are very comfortable and full of character - I particularly love the Ascot Bar, with its chic, 70s retro style - and they are liberally decorated with paintings by Alain Godon, whose work I adore.

I treated myself to an Executive Room, and it was lovely - spacious hallway and bathroom, with fab shower, a separate loo and a large bedroom with balcony. The room was spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated, quiet, I slept very well on the comfy bed.

I chose to have breakfast each morning at the hotel, which was leisurely and relaxed, and the range of food and drink offered suited me perfectly, and would have suited my family, too, had they been with me.

I have previously stayed at the Bristol in a superior twin room and a couple of times in a family suite - each time my experience has been great and a happy holiday has been had by all. The hotel is located very close to the beach and the lovely marketplace, and is just around the corner from a whole host of bars and restaurants.

I will definitely return to this hotel again - with family and solo - and have no hesitation in recommending it.

Room Tip: I can recommend Executive Double, Superior Twin and Family Suites.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank LiHo01
Wimbledon
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Location fantastic. Close to beach, and all the good bars and restaurants and right next to the busy, excellent market (Saturdays and Thursdays out of season). Yet nice and quiet. You can get a weekend street parking ticket from Hotel reception for 14 Euros or book a slot ahead in the hotel for 8 Euros a night.

We had stayed before, and I believe the refurbishment and modernisation of the bedrooms themselves is now complete, but it has left them at odds with the fifties feel of the rest of the hotel. Still liked the fifties bar though.

Staff were great, speak good English but don't judge you for trying out your dodgy French. Beds a tad hard, can't get on with foam pillows, no beverage-making facilities in the rooms (We had a 'Superior' room.) Breakfast a bit of a DIY affair for 12 Euros, but you probably wouldn't do a lot cheaper in any nearby cafe's, and you can eat as much as you want. (Foodies- Time your boiled eggs using the timer on your phone if you have one)

We would definitely stay there again if/when we went back to Le Touquet. (might take my own pillow!)

Room Tip: They are all quite quiet, ask for a balcony over the front courtyard.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
bromley kent
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Good location superb hotel food and drink a bit pricey great location

• Stayed July 2011
Surrey, England
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I can only assume that being in a very good (and quite) location in the lovely town of Le Touquet is what justifies the high prices that this hotel charges. Other than that I have seen nothing to suggest that a stay here is worth the money.

First impressions are that it could do with a lick of paint outside but once inside you are welcomed by friendly and efficient staff and a very clean refurbished interior. I particularly liked the decor in the bar which looked like a wonderful throwback to the 70's.

Our room overlooked the terrace and was clean but a little on the small side. This is where it all goes downhill because at €145.00 per night (not including breakfast!) I would expect large and thick towels, a shower, air-con, tea and coffee making facilities and a hair dryer! The bed was also a bit too hard for me but that may suit some people.

Breakfast was a joke. All I can say is thank goodness we were not there during the high season as it would have been chaotic. Why is it that that a hotel can charge €12 for breakfast and then basically say 'prepare it yourself'? We were not even shown to a table, no assitance on how it all worked, just get amongst the throng and work it for yourself. Okay, the food that I tried was acceptable and you could have gone back as many times as you wanted, but I expect not to have to make my own tea or coffee or queue up for a few minutes to boil an egg! My friends gave up trying to get the hot water machine to work and the coffee was far too strong. Breakfast at the Bristol was a thoroughly unpleasant experience.

Le Touquet itself is a lovely quirky town with some great restaurants and bars and a wonderful beach. There is not much else to do though (unless you play golf) and It is very expensive.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Harpenden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We has a suite (two adjoining rooms -- a twin and a double -- with a separate loo and bathroom) on the 3rd floor. We travelled with our two young children (6 and 4) and the staff were wonderfully helpful, polite and very child-friendly. The rooms have recently been refurbished and the bathrooms have lovely Hansgrohe showers and taps and beautiful polished travertine tiles. The rooms are spacious and the beds very confortable.

There are TVs in the rooms and you will get BBC but you must ask when you book. So ask.

I read Trip Advisor before I booked and it seemed to suggest the breakfast was poor but we found the breakfast excellent: Lovely buttery croissants, a plentiful supply of butter, conserves, Nuttella, different breads (including still-warm baguettes), cheese, ham, prunes, figs, fresh fruit, fruit juice, coffee, boiled eggs and various cereals. We all enjoyed it very much.

The hotel is brilliantly close to the beach and an easy walk to the shops and restaurants. The rooms are comfortable and quiet with really lovely crisp white cotton bedding.. It is also a few steps from the market which we enjoyed on Monday morning.

We loved it and will be booking again for summer.

Room Tip: There are some steps on the third floor but gentle ramps on the first and second floors, just in cas...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank SwedesUK
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Being the fussy guests that we are, we alweays go for the larger 4 star places when visiting Le Toquet, but a couple in the Family struggled on our last trip (Dec 2011) due to Xmas crowds and settled for the Bristol.
It appeared to be run almost single-handed but was extremely friendly and functional. The rooms were clean and large enough without being vast, and of course its very central - you can walk a few yards to all manner of food and entertainment.
If you're visiting Le Touquet but want to keep your heard-earned for the restaurants, you could do a lot worse than the Bristol.

Room Tip: Cant comment as we only saw one!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family