“One night stop over...”

Manoir Hotel
East Sussex, United Kingdom
“One night stop over...”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Having driven from the Dordogne we decided to stop over for 1 night in Le Touquet. In the Summer. Without a hotel booking. This turned out to be a little mistake... The only room we could find was here at Le Manoir. You know, it was comfortable, the staff were helpful and we slept. Why only 3 stars? It just felt tired and in need of some investment, a little refurbishment. As 'wanderingstarlet' says 'A sedate old lady'. The cost of the room (although by the time we found it I would have paid nearly anything...) was high and the fifth member of the family had to sleep on the floor... The pool was clean, the sun beds in good order. The bar staff helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Miles L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
London
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I was one of a party of 16 from a London golf club and Le Manoir is perfectly situated for the 2 golf courses. The rooms are comfortable, I shared a ground floor room with a pleasant outlook on the woods, the beds were fine, the bathroom had both shower and bath, plenty of hot water, separate toilet. Rather oldfashioned hairdrier but you can always nip across to the golf club where they are more effective! Nice breakfasts with good hot café au lait, delicious fresh bread, croissants, jams, a variety of ham and cheese, various fresh and dried fruits, lovely thick natural yoghurt. We had a good set evening meal with a choice of chicken or fish main course though it would have been nice to have had a bit more information and a choice of starters (the one we were offered had a sauce of capsicums which I can't eat). Decent bar, very friendly and helpful staff, excellent English at reception. It's a bit far to walk into town (taxis average 10 euros but that wasn't bad between 4 people) but I think it's better to be near the golf courses. If I were going to play golf there again I would choose this hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank GolfinaLondon
Midlands
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I am not sure exactly how to rate this hotel, as I have indicated in my heading. I love country house style and this is, or rather WAS, definitely that - in it`s heyday. To alter it too much might spoil the presence and the feel of it, but, having been given room 8 - after a night spent at the Dormy House in Etretat - I/we definitely felt that the comparison was too stark to be tolerable. I asked if there was room a bit better than this, and after a bit of a polarva we were offered room 20, which was certainly a bit better, with a view over the garden, rather than over the dining room extension roof. I do not want to `bad mouth` the hotel as it`s location with regard to the golf courses is great, and having read some of the rave reviews about Le Manoir, I think I have had an out of body experience !.The building itself is a lovely building and it would be a shame to alter it too much, but to have to wait ten minutes for the hot water to come through the system for a wash or a shower, is a complete waste - of time and water ! Be aware also, France is France but a bottle of Poulet Fusee which we thought when we selected it from the menu was £32.50 turned out (when we were paying the bill) to be that for HALF A BOTTLE......the full bottle was £65.00 !

Most of the dining room staff were very pleasant and I do not expect everybody to walk around with a grin from ear to ear, but one of them looked as though she wished she was ANYWHERE else. The receptionist was very pleasant - until I said the room was not up to standard - and then she delegated the job to somebody else and after that was too busy on the phone ! If you are going with a group that you can make your own noise, all well and good - otherwise - for me, it was like going to stay at Grandma`s - (p.s. I hope my Grandkids don`t say that about me) !!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the left of the building (looking from the road) !
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank wanderingstarlet
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

Really peacefully quiet and enjoyable stay ,played two rounds of golf on foret. Really had a wonderful time, people were very friendly rooms were nice. Food in restaurant was stunning and nice wine, staff very friendly We will no doubt return soon. Well worth the money

Stayed June 2013
1 Thank reidy1263
Boxmoor
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Our first stop off on our French trip this year and met up with my brother and sister in law, just a short drive into Le Touquet, next time we will hire bicycles and use the bike lanes. Breakfast finishes early, but we were still offered a late breakfast on the terrace but decided to walk over the road to the golf club restaurant and enjoyed and excellent breakfast there. Lovely swimming pool and area, comfortable and quiet rooms, will certainly return.

2 Thank Rhizostoma
Roermond
Reviewed 26 July 2013

This hotel is now named Le Manoir. It was founded in 1904 together with the golf course "en face". Is is a very fine hotel with French/British atmosphere. Nice service. Ask for room nr 1, very quiet, with side view or nr 4 or 5 on the front side that may suffer from some noise.

The menu du jour changes every day and is of excellent quality for the money.

You will find no better hotel if you want to play golf in that area.

1 Thank Ursula2302
Corringham, England
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Travelled with two friends for a one night golf break booked through Your Golf Travel. The whole package was arranged including hotel, golf, buggies and Eurotunnel travel.

Having never played abroad before, I was very much looking forward to the experiecne and none of us were disappointed!. Le Touquet is absolutely stunning and the hotel was a delight. Built in the early 1900s, it was the family home of the course designer and it really retained a country house feel. Staff were very friendly and welcoming, rooms were individual and quirky but lovely. (We had rooms 8 and 11). Food was excellent - only slight quibble was that the entrees were fish based only. My partner does not like fish and although we were able to choose something else from the a la carte menu (at a supplement), I felt that the hotel could have offered an alternative. However the rest of the evening meal was excellent as was the choice at the breakfast buffet the next morning.
Tthe hotel is opposite La Mer and La Foret golf courses, which had been booked for us as part of the deal. Had a great couple of days playing golf on these challenging courses after which time we enjoyed a drink or two served by very friendly staff in the clubhouse.

Would thoroughly recommend the hotel (and the beautiful surrounding area of Le Touquet) for a break of any sort, not necessarily including golf . With the fantastic beach only 10 minutes away by car, this would make a great venue for a weekend break. We will return here and would definitely stay at the hotel. Recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main hotel