“A place to crash out from sightseeing in Paris” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Sovereign Bord de Seine
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Saint Ouen
Guernsey
“A place to crash out from sightseeing in Paris”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

So, I did the worst possible things of booking without reading reviews and then reading reviews the night before departure to Paris. You guys terrified me! On first arrival off the metro at Mairie de St Ouen it was very late and we couldn't find the hotel. After reading that the area was thought of as dangerous, I was very worried about walking to the hotel. We found it after 15 minutes, and help from the locals (who seem very nice). It just shows how society judges the way somebody looks, when in fact people can be very nice. Make sure you have directions to the hotel before leaving so you know where to go.

The guy at reception in the evenings seemed pretty useless, but we got to our room, which turned out to be a double, when we booked a twin. I went downstairs and it was quickly resolved but the man looked totally clueless in what he was doing and seemed more interested in his phone. The rooms are basic. There are two beds (for a twin), side lamps, one plug, and a TV (which we didn't have a remote for, but didn't bother, we didn't go to Paris to watch TV!). We were both disturbed by moving furniture through the night, and the tension of getting there with the noise of the city made me wake throughout the night. People don't hesitate to smoke in the corridors by the window, so don't be shocked when you see this.

We wanted to leave in the morning for another hotel, but we were seeing Madonna at a nearby stadium that night, so decided to stay, as we were out all day anyway. Breakfast is good. There are crossiants, bread, tea, coffee, juice and other bits and pieces and all the hotel guests seemed nice. The morning guy at reception was very helpful. The hotel is situated on the suburbs but is very easy to get to the centre of Paris, take the 13 line metro and you can get to the Champs Elysees within 20 minutes. After the second night, I had become accustomed to the hotel, and it was normal, I was so tired from sightseeing and the concert that I just passed out on arriving at the room.

The bathroom is nice and clean, there are hot showers and towels are changed daily. Better said than a Hilton suite I recently stayed in! One tip would be that if you stay more than one night, it seemed that the cards for the room didn't work the next day and that you had to take them to reception for them to update. Beds were fairly low, but were comfortable and still hard to get out of in the morning!

Overall, if you wish to have a lush and prestige hotel in Paris, look for others. It will cost you. Although, it seems pointless, go to Paris to see it, not a hotel room. I wouldn't stay at this hotel again, and I wouldn't recommend it but its OK. Seeing Paris will be cheaper and you will get to spend money on eating out and on attractions, rather than a hotel room more in the centre.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank 25gue

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Bradford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

I am a travel agent and should have known better, but just booked this hotel as it was cheap.
I read the reviews before I went and thought...oh well it will be fine people always have something to moan about!

I have never written a bad review on a hotel before and I am very easily pleased but this was like staying in the slums of Paris.

Dont get me wrong the hotel wasnt the worst in the world although one of the staff members was very rude at dinner and continued to give us the dead eye throughout our stay!

But...the sockets were hanging off the walls and it stunk of cigerettes, I could have dealt with staying at this hotel if it was anywhere else but the area was vile!!!

We got abuse walking along the road from a gang of girls and at night there were gangs on corners with their hoods up and it was very intimindating, I am 6month pregnant and actully feared for my life-NO EXAGGERATION!!!

The hotel was a 10min walk from the metro which was even scarier and I thought I was going to get robbed (and I live in Bradford)!

The centre of Paris is ok but would not return if someone paid me as the people are very rude and threatening, a woman told me to stand up on the tube even though it was obvious I was pregnant!

Food was horrid in the hotel and out!

If I had of known I would have cancelled refund or no refund, I WOULD RATHER LOOSE THE MONEY THAN HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS.

This hotel should not be on sale beacause of its area, the hotel itself is not THAT bad but the area is like a ghetto!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED-I will not be boking any of my customers here even if they begged me to! Would have felt safer in Afganistan!!!

13 Thank Emma G

Travellers are raving about these Saint Ouen hotels

Siauliai, Lithuania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Don`t hesitate if the wanted is a good place to stay and not spend much. Every basic need is there, and some extras like, free Wifi and CableTV. Everything clean and staff speaks good English. Close to the river at Sant Denis, the area is quiet and the building has 8 floors. Metro station at 10mn walking. Good and early breakfast at normal price. Only unlucky point was that bed could be in better conditions.
Conclusion : stupid to expect presidential room for such price, so we strongly reccomend this hotel for people, who will come to hotel just to sleep and take a shower.

Room Tip: We lived on the 7 flour corner and the room was very peaceful.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank kisskiss_12
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

the staff were very friendly on arrival and spoke excellent English. The room we had was clean but the toilet was not flushing, the man on reception said he would look at it while we went out. . He gave clear instructions on how to find the nearest metro. We had a chance to change room but decided it was ok, however the next morning there was a water leak in the bathroom, a lady on reception did not speak much English but understood the problem and gave us another room. She checked later that we were happy with the new room. I asked for extra pillows which were willing given to me. The first matress needed replacing but the 2nd was lovely. The water was hot, bed made every day and fresh towels daily. The breakfast was replenished up until closing and was plentiful. Overall we were pleasantly surprised after reading the reviews. The hotel was clean, safe, quiet and friendly, the metro walk was 10 mins, lit and we felt safe.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank clare c
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

i went as part of a school trip and it was the worst part of our holiday. The plug sockets were falling out of the walls. The windows had no saftey latch so they would just swing open enough for any person to fall out. The were cigarette burns in the overthrows for the bed. we were getting complaints for noise at 8 in the evening. The food was okay. Overall a terrible hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Thank Kieran M
Cambridge UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

I have just returned from a stay at this hotel.
From reading some of the reviews of this hotel I was very worried about what it would be like.
However it was fine,the room was ok,the staff were helpful,the breakfasts were very good.
There were enough towels and they were changed daily,the hot water was very hot.
Our room was near the lift and that was a bit noisy however the hotel was very quiet and it was nearly full.There was a general cross section of people staying.
It is a bit of a walk to the metro station(10minutes),however it was a safe walk,we are in our 60s and did not feel at all threatened,although we returned fairly late..
If this is the worst hotel some people have stayed in then they have not travelled much.Try Russia or most of Africa.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank haribo_12
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

This hotel was awful and the pictures used on the websites are completely decieving, i went with my school on a school trip and when we arrived we went to our rooms and were very disappointed we had a 4 bed room and there was only 1 socket between the 4 of us, and the walls and carpets were stained. We also found the sink had dents and chips in it and the bedding had stains on them. We had a late dinner when we arrived there and we were the only people in the dining area, we were served Spaghetti Bolognese which smelt like dog food and also tasted like it, the spaghetti was also quite hard. While we were in the dining room we realised there was many cracks and holes in the walls and also there was door frames being held up by cello tape !? Our first night stay was terrible as the manager complained about us being too noisy and doors slamming which he should of been aware of when allowing a school trip to stay there and also it wasnt constant noise it was just when we had to get to our rooms. Later on that night the manager even had an argument in french with one of our teachers and also threatened us, our teacher had to escourt me and my 3 room mates to our room and make sure we double locked our door because we unfortunately had the room next door to the managers room. We had an awful nights sleep because the manager was constantly smoking which was filling up our room with the smell and was making it hard for us to breathe, the rest of our stay was much the same at night the manager did complain a further few times but some of the french guests where making far too much noise in the early hours of the morning which the manager was not complaining about. I was very annoyed with our stay because we were not treated with respect and the rooms and food was awful, the breakfast was either a roll or croissant but they normally ran out of breakfast and didnt put anymore out. I though Paris itself was really good but i would not recommend staying at this hotel if you want to enjoy your holiday, i was lucky enough to only have to sleep there and not spend any part of the daytime there.

Room Tip: Do not choose room 309 or anything around 310 which is the managers room
1 Thank Kerry C
Ibis Saint Denis Stade Sud
Ibis Saint Denis Stade Sud
#4 of 17 in Saint-Denis
Kyriad Paris Nord Porte de Saint Ouen

Been to Hotel Sovereign Bord de Seine? Share your experiences!