“Rooms more like hostel than hotel - avoid”

Hotel Sovereign Bord de Seine
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Saint Ouen
Paris, France
“Rooms more like hostel than hotel - avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2012

I travel regularly on business and this is the worst hotel I have ever been put in. The rooms are scruffy and basic - nothing like the photograph on the hotel website.
Room was noisy from the continual traffic on the adjacent road, noise from fellow guests as now sound insulation and the whining of the ventilation.
WiFi signal was weak, dropped out from time to time and very slow (0.039Mb/s).
The hotel is not 54 quai de seine - taxi driver used satnav to find and we ended up a kilometre away, in fact we had driven past it - and map on hotel own website is wrong.
I have no idea why my company travel agency proposes this hotel when it avoids many better hotels and I shall be writing to them

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Steve P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

I was a bit concerned after reading the reviews on here, but I felt some things that were said by others were a bit unfair and extreme! So here's the genuine views of myself and my 3 friends... It is quite far out from the main attractions, but it is only a 10-15 min walk from the metro. On our way to the hotel we didn't take the best/shortest route from the metro and we went through a few rougher areas, but nothing horrendous, we just got some funny 'look at those tourist' looks. We asked on reception about this and they drew us a map of the best route to get to the metro in future which was a much quicker walk through a smarter residential area (not rough at all), so you just need to ask the locals for the best route! If you really don't want to use the metro and walk to hotel then taxis aren't too pricey if there are a few of you. We got a taxi back from Eiffel Tower to the hotel and it cost around 23 Euros (NB. you get charged an extra 3-4 Euros for a fourth person in the taxi in Paris).
We found the reception staff incredibly helpful with everything bearing in mind its not a big fancy hotel! When our key wouldn't work they couldn't fix it quick enough and apologised, when we went down for breakfast and there were no croissants or cereal left we asked them and again they apologised and quickly put more out. They also told us the quickest/easiest routes to use for where we wanted to go.
The rooms are very basic and although behind our bathroom door wasn't clean the beds/sinks/surfaces/shower/toilet were all clean. It could do with a good paint and some new carpet but for the price its not the end of the world. We just wanted a place to sleep after a long day sight-seeing so was fine. Our only moan was that we were in a room right next to the lift which you could hear late at night and early in the morning, but we were so tired it didn't really keep us up.
All in all if you just want somewhere basic to rest your head at night where the staff are helpful and the breakfast is simple but good then this place is absolutely fine. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sarah R
Leicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

we booked this hotel as part of a package deal. our travel company changed our airport to Paris beauvais,which put us around 2 hrs from the hotel. after many metro journeys,a walk through a very strange part of Paris,where several chaps( myself and my daughter were travelling) shouted to my daughter to give them cigarettes,and at one point followed us,we finally came to a shabby building,with an overgrown,and graffitied sign,miles from anything shopwise,which was indeed our hotel. the exterior should have told us everything,shoddy,very smelly drains,fake grass! we were given our key by quite a sarcastic receptionist, our rromwas in the 800`s so you can tell it was like a tower block,we were starving,and they had a restuarant,that wasn`t open for the duration of our stay,and were told we wouldn`t get anything to eat unless we went back into Paris. the room left a lot to be desired, very dirty toilet brush,and chewing gum stuck to the sheet. no kettle,and a sink with bad breath! half of the wardrobe was unusable,and the towels were like our hand towels. we asked for extra pillows, on the way to buy a bottle of pop from a kicked in machine outside the front of the hotel,which DID WORK!..we got our pillows the next night when we came back.
this hotel is around 20 minutes walk through some not very nice business units from the nearest metro. ADVICE.... IF you end up there,take plenty to drink,and stock up on food at breakfast,as to be fair,that was the best part of our stay. some of the folk with small children did struggle for breakfast,as the ceral disappeared on the 2nd morning,never to re-appear!

Room Tip: out of the 800 plus rooms in this hotel,there must be some good ones!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank emma j

Travellers are raving about these Saint Ouen hotels

Brixham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

After reading the reviews on here I was a bit worried what we were going to find but it wasn't bad at all. The taxi driver from the airport got a bit lost because the hotel is a bit out of the way - but I wouldn't say the area was rough at all, just a little run down. About 10-15 minute walk away from the nearest metro stop which wasn't bad either.
Room was small - we had a triple and the beds were quite cramped together - but it was clean and enough for what we wanted, which was basically a place to sleep after a day out in Paris.
Breakfast was a basic buffet but very nice.
Would recommend if you just want somewhere to kip after sightseeing with a basic breakfast the next day.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Charlotte R
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

The hotel was booked for our College trip for 44 students.

The staff were very friendly, and the majority were able to speak english, they did their best to help you.

Meals: Adequate, no problems just basic.

Rooms were clean but basic, however there were a lot of problems with some on the pupils rooms. To mention a few were broken sockets, matresses on the floor classed as beds, broken toilet (which my head of department had to fix). The staff did their best to correct the problems but, we couldnt switch rooms a the hotel was fully booked.

This hotel "does what is says on the tin" and is fine for a school trip where little time is spent there. However as there were 2 other school trips also visiting, I would not want to be a paying guest on holiday surrounded by students. So my reccomendation would be to avoid if you are not part of a school trip.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Guernsey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

So, I did the worst possible things of booking without reading reviews and then reading reviews the night before departure to Paris. You guys terrified me! On first arrival off the metro at Mairie de St Ouen it was very late and we couldn't find the hotel. After reading that the area was thought of as dangerous, I was very worried about walking to the hotel. We found it after 15 minutes, and help from the locals (who seem very nice). It just shows how society judges the way somebody looks, when in fact people can be very nice. Make sure you have directions to the hotel before leaving so you know where to go.

The guy at reception in the evenings seemed pretty useless, but we got to our room, which turned out to be a double, when we booked a twin. I went downstairs and it was quickly resolved but the man looked totally clueless in what he was doing and seemed more interested in his phone. The rooms are basic. There are two beds (for a twin), side lamps, one plug, and a TV (which we didn't have a remote for, but didn't bother, we didn't go to Paris to watch TV!). We were both disturbed by moving furniture through the night, and the tension of getting there with the noise of the city made me wake throughout the night. People don't hesitate to smoke in the corridors by the window, so don't be shocked when you see this.

We wanted to leave in the morning for another hotel, but we were seeing Madonna at a nearby stadium that night, so decided to stay, as we were out all day anyway. Breakfast is good. There are crossiants, bread, tea, coffee, juice and other bits and pieces and all the hotel guests seemed nice. The morning guy at reception was very helpful. The hotel is situated on the suburbs but is very easy to get to the centre of Paris, take the 13 line metro and you can get to the Champs Elysees within 20 minutes. After the second night, I had become accustomed to the hotel, and it was normal, I was so tired from sightseeing and the concert that I just passed out on arriving at the room.

The bathroom is nice and clean, there are hot showers and towels are changed daily. Better said than a Hilton suite I recently stayed in! One tip would be that if you stay more than one night, it seemed that the cards for the room didn't work the next day and that you had to take them to reception for them to update. Beds were fairly low, but were comfortable and still hard to get out of in the morning!

Overall, if you wish to have a lush and prestige hotel in Paris, look for others. It will cost you. Although, it seems pointless, go to Paris to see it, not a hotel room. I wouldn't stay at this hotel again, and I wouldn't recommend it but its OK. Seeing Paris will be cheaper and you will get to spend money on eating out and on attractions, rather than a hotel room more in the centre.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank 25gue
Bradford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

I am a travel agent and should have known better, but just booked this hotel as it was cheap.
I read the reviews before I went and thought...oh well it will be fine people always have something to moan about!

I have never written a bad review on a hotel before and I am very easily pleased but this was like staying in the slums of Paris.

Dont get me wrong the hotel wasnt the worst in the world although one of the staff members was very rude at dinner and continued to give us the dead eye throughout our stay!

But...the sockets were hanging off the walls and it stunk of cigerettes, I could have dealt with staying at this hotel if it was anywhere else but the area was vile!!!

We got abuse walking along the road from a gang of girls and at night there were gangs on corners with their hoods up and it was very intimindating, I am 6month pregnant and actully feared for my life-NO EXAGGERATION!!!

The hotel was a 10min walk from the metro which was even scarier and I thought I was going to get robbed (and I live in Bradford)!

The centre of Paris is ok but would not return if someone paid me as the people are very rude and threatening, a woman told me to stand up on the tube even though it was obvious I was pregnant!

Food was horrid in the hotel and out!

If I had of known I would have cancelled refund or no refund, I WOULD RATHER LOOSE THE MONEY THAN HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS.

This hotel should not be on sale beacause of its area, the hotel itself is not THAT bad but the area is like a ghetto!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED-I will not be boking any of my customers here even if they begged me to! Would have felt safer in Afganistan!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Campanile Paris Nord - Saint Denis - Quai De St Ouen Pleyel
Ibis Saint Denis Stade Sud
Ibis Saint Denis Stade Sud
#4 of 17 in Saint-Denis

Been to Hotel Sovereign Bord de Seine? Share your experiences!