“Real Sicilian Hospitality”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Letojanni
East Kilbride
“Real Sicilian Hospitality”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Forget the bad reviews. This is a great place to stay. The facilities are marvellous and the views stunning. The food is excellent as are all the staff including Haleh and her colleagues in reception; the wonderful Claudia and Filippo in the bar; Tommaso in the restaurant; Rita our chambermaid and Giorgio, Hamza, Tommaso, Laura and Alessandro in the MiniClub.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel whether it be for couples or family.
Unbelievable value and way cheaper than the more lauded Taormina. Letojanni is a great wee Sicilian town which shouldn't be overlooked.
I'm half Sicilian so I should know

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Marcofgg
WebPRManagerPHI, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Olimpo, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Marco,

thank you so much for your review and your recommendation. We are happy that you liked our food and that our staff made you feel comfortable: we will pass you compliments on to them. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Wallington, Surrey
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I felt that generally the Olimpo was a very nice place to stay. The room we had on the 3rd floor down in the annex from the main hotel was spacious. It had a very nice sized double bed, with various seating. A strange ‘double’ balcony with an inside ‘bit’ plus a proper external balcony with lovely views over the Taormina bay. There was air-con in the room and it was certainly needed for our week as it was beautiful weather and very hot. It wasn’t fantastic air-con but certainly better than none. You did quite often get a reasonable breeze which also helped. It was lovely to sit out on the balcony after dinner and watch the birds swooping and sweeping about. It got darkish fairly early, around 9.30 and then you had the bats instead. They did a very good job of keeping the flies at bay. I did get bitten by a mozzie but only once and my partner also got bitten once as well. There was a small amount of road noise with the doors open but it was more of a background hum rather than a major irritation, sometimes the emergency vehicles had their sirens going but not really here or there. The was also a bit of clip cloppy noise from guests in other rooms walking round in their heals (and that was just the chaps!!!) and a bit of squealing from some kids but most of the time it wasn’t really too bad. The room had some lovely net curtains that you could pull all the way across so you could have the doors open and keep the flies out, you also had ‘normal’ curtains plus black out curtains so it was quite dark at night if you like it that way. The light on the balcony came on automatically around 9.00 ish and went off again around 11.00 ish.
The bathroom had a nice bath and a shower that you could adjust the height. The temperature was a bit of fun to set as it seemed to come out of the shower with a different temp from the bath spout. The water pressure was good and no shortness of lovely hot water but the shower was a bit of a faff to keep in the holder on the wall. Had to have the jet aimed towards the end of the bath otherwise the shower head popped out of the holder and just dangled down. Not a major issue just a really small annoyance. I fought a valiant battle every time against the cross between hissing Sid and a fire hose however it always won. There was also a ‘foot bath’ i.e. bidet which was very welcome in the heat to obviously wash your feet….
There was plenty of closet and drawer space and you had access to a ‘free’ safety deposit box, however you did have to pay 50 Euros as a deposit for the key, which I really felt was a bit excessive an outlay at the beginning of the hols but at least it was a refundable deposit as long as you didn’t lose the key!!! There was also a TV but really only showed the BBC news channel in English. Never mind, didn’t really need the TV.
We were given a 1 ltr bottle of fizzy water and a 1 ltr bottle of still and fruit as a welcome gift, that was actually very welcome…this was not in the room when we first got in but arrived shortly after. We also got another bottle of each plus some sweets during the week which I felt was a lovely touch. The fridge had a small sample of drinks as a mini bar at the same prices as the bars, I felt not excessive and you had a kettle with tea & coffee too. We used our ‘card’ to put all our drinks on and paid at the end. A bit of fun and games with the computer not working properly and it added our final drinks on approx. 7 times, eeek, but very efficiently sorted by the reception chappie. In fact we found all the staff to be lovely.
We were also given a towel each for use on the sun beds etc and a dressing gown each.
The restaurant was air conditioned which was very welcome and was very busy in the evenings from opening at 7 pm and you were assigned a table for the duration of your stay for both dinner and breakfast. The food I felt was a bit hit and miss. There was plenty of choice but some things were better than others. For breakfast there was the usual large choice of croissants, toast, yogs, the standard ‘German’ breakfast of meats/cheeses, plus fruit, cereal, you also had the opportunity of fresh squeezed orange juice and Brut Spumante - I guess their equivalent of Champagne (I didn’t even know there was such a thing as dry Spumante, I thought the Asti Spumante, sweet was the only type). You helped yourself to coffee from a machine or you could also make tea. The ‘hot’ English breakfast bits weren’t always very hot and the crispy bacon really wasn’t…but these were only small niggles. The one thing that always seemed to be mega hot was the boiled eggs, never did find holders for these, but didn’t ask either, so maybe there were some? One morning we found the cold milk tasted ‘funny’ i.e. off - but a quick word to our very friendly and helpful waiter and it was very quickly changed. They did say it was fresh out that morning, but hey ho…
For the evening there was always a choice of salad options, a couple of pasta choices (I thought the pasta would be a bit better, but still not bad), a roast of some kind each evening and veg dishes, plus normally something fish based, desserts were usually cakes (I found the tiramisu to be very nice), fresh fruit (loved the flat peaches, yellow plums and tiny pears) and ice cream. You did have to watch out for kids licking the serving spoons and we had to ask the waiter to change them (all done without fuss from the staff), but maybe a notice on the ice cream freezer wouldn’t go amiss? But there again I don’t really expect children to be licking serving utensils anyway!!! You could also had cheese and biscuits.
Letojanni itself was fairly quiet and you had a few places to eat etc and a couple of rather small mini markets. This town was to the left when you came down from the hotel through the subway under the main roads. You could also walk a little bit to the right where the lido affiliated with the hotel was situated. However you were unable to walk along the front to the next town on the right along the promenade next to the beach (Mazzaro). There was a bus every hour to Giardini Naxos (did stop at Siesta time for 2 hours) and at least every hour to Taormina and I felt there were a good price. We travelled with Thomson but felt their costings were a little on the high side for their trips. Took notice of another trip advisors note about their tours but chanced a trip to Etna, we only went half way up and that was 45 Euros. There was another trip to Isola Bella which was 39 Euro but you had to find your own way to the Harbour at Giardini Naxos to catch the boat to the island. It sounded very nice with a bird sanctuary but you could also very easily get the bus here on the way through to Giardini Naxos. Most of the other trips seemed to be 70 Euros, 90 Euros and up. Our Mount Etna trip was OK but a fairly large tour group as it was a full deck of passengers upstairs on the coach plus approx. 12 seats or more downstairs. After our first stop at the gorge we were offered 2 seats together when we got on there weren’t any left. There was also a poor kid that got sick on the bus just before we got off at the honey shop stop. Such fun. Poor little mite, think it was all the twisty and windy roads up the side of the mountain. Our stop half way up was relatively cool compared to the temperatures down below. Would def. recommend cardies and maybe trousers?
One final thing, my partner refused to use the lift up or down to the Antares or the funicular to the Olimpo, there were steps alongside the funicular but you had to use the road down from the Antares to the town as there weren’t any steps there. We lost each other one time as I didn’t have any qualms about using the lifts etc, but that’s another story. Let’s just say I used a few choice words when I eventually found him and wopped him with my hat. But if you also don’t like lifts etc DO NOT stay at this otherwise very nice location, unless you have part mountain goat in your DNA. He half killed himself tramping up in the extremely hot weather. Silly boy.
Overall - we enjoyed our holiday and found it a lovely place to stay. Would we come back again, definitely maybe, but as usual there is always the lure of something different, something new.

Room Tip: Seems like mostly all the rooms have a sea view from the annex
3 Thank twoscompany_10
Dear twoscompany_10,

thank you for your thorough review. We are glad that your overall experience was good and you would come back. We look forward to your coming back then.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My partner and I booked this very last minute through Thomson as an all inclusive deal. We arrived at the hotel to find friendly and helpful staff who checked us in quickly, giving us a lovely seas view room on the terrazze (apologies for the spelling!). Our room was large and very clean, not fussed that it wasn't that modern, it comes with a rustic charm, and as long as it's clean, I had no complaints whatsoever, especially with the view! My only complaint was the room door needs to be sound proofed! Being woken up at 7 everyday by early risers who weren't always considerate of others sleeping was not the best start each day of my holiday...

The hotel is large, mostly full of Italian tourists, some Russians and then the Brits floating about! I have to say I wasn't quite prepared for how large the hotel was, and actually how busy it would be, a lot of families so unless you get to the pool first thing you won't get sun loungers for the rest of the day. I bring up the family bit because we booked it hoping it would be quiet and laid back (but that's Thomson miss-selling it to us...). Still, it was a lovely hotel, lovely location with fantastic views and the beach is only 10minutes away with free sun loungers through one of the beach front bars.

The food was much better than I expected for a buffet, excellent range of things to eat and sample. Wish the fresh orange juice machine was out all day though :) the only disappointment we had was that the all inclusive had limitations... we could only consume alcohol between 6pm and midnight, but then the alcohol included in the deal was limited to a relatively small selection (my partner was gutted he had to pay for a Gin and tonic). But the wine included in our stay was good enough for us to have a bottle everyday!

The spa was an unexpected surprise we found included: sauna, steam room and a tropical shower. We were there at the end of everyday, usually it wasn't too busy, so nice to escape for an hour or so and just relish some alone time.

I would recommend this hotel, it's safe and clean and delivers good service but I will warn people who may be looking for a quieter more adult friendly holiday that this may not be the hotel for you if you go at peak time. I feel relaxed and happy after my stay but definitely had moments where I wish it was just a bit quieter, particularly regarding the pool, we ended up in the solarium which had a few sun loungers on a large patio overlooking the fantastic view but it was a way from the pool which at the hottest moments of the day we needed to refresh!

Room Tip: Sea view; if you keep the patio doors closed you can't hear a thing!
1 Thank Kat353
Dear Kat,

thank you so much for your review. It's great to read that you had a nice stay. We hope to see you again soon.

norwich
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We were very pleased with our stay at this hotel. Check in was very quick and we were given a room on the 4th floor with a lovely sea view (even though half way through our unpacking another couple walked in) we had both been given the same room but this was very quickly sorted out without any fuss. Lovely large room with a bowl of fruit and bottles of water and half way through our week stay a box of local sweets arrived. Large swimming pool with plenty of sun lounges, you could always get a sun lounge here and never had to leave towels on them. Pool side bar very nice with lovely lunches served. Restaurant was large with lovely food, always hot and tasty, lovely waiting staff and every evening a bottle of water & wine on the table. For our anniversary we booked a meal on the terrace, very nice and to be recommended, the waiter we had made sure everything was perfect. Evening entertainment was ok, man playing music all evening. Splendid views as you went the funicular lift towards the sister hotel before another lift took you down to ground level and then a short walk to the beach which had a deal with the hotel so you got free use of sun beds, brollies & even free wi fi. Quite a shingle beach and stony in the sea but not a real problem, we used the beach 5 days out of our 7 day stay (even if the parasol did blow over one day and landed on me resulting in a cut eye, but I was very quickly looked after). Buses from hotel to nearby attractions run every half hour and very cheap. The weather was beautiful throughout our stay. The only down side to this stay is we only went for a week. We will definitely return and have told lots of our friends since we have returned home.

Room Tip: Request a sea view
Dear tinrogvic,

thank you very much for your review. We're happy that you anniversary stay at our hotel was a pleasant one. We hope to see you again next year.

Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel on a hill. Stayed 6th till 13th July. Arrived at reception and check in was efficient and slick. Lift down 4 floors to the room which had comfy bed, plenty of storage and tea&coffee facilities and a sea view. It was cleaned everyday and towels changed each day. Hotel supplied pool towels changed twice. Back up to reception &then another lift 4 floors to get to pool with pizza restaurant &bar. Big pool,plenty of sunbeds with brollys. Back down 2 floors for bar and restaurant. Food was plentiful but tepid ,samey & under seasoned. Bar shut early and took no cash(well unless you really forced them) instead you paid by card and settled at end of your stay. Bit hard to keep track of spending this way. Entertainment was loud at pool during the day. Frustrated ibiza dj at times. And so laid back it was practically horizontal in the evening. Piano player every evening. All the staff were friendly & helpful & jolly who looked after you well. Hotel was full of mostly Italian holiday makers with lots of happy children . Nice. and very rude Russians not so nice. Down a funicular lift to sister hotel, with another pool and and more bars. And then yet another lift, walk through a tunnel, across the car park, over the road,under the motorway then beach. Sounds alot of fuss but not really.Few beach bars and restaurants within walking distance. Nice enough hotel for quiet break. But not much to do if you looking for a wild party time. Hotel was fine overall but food needs to be ALOT warmer.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wends
Dear wends,

thank you for your review. You had a nice stay, so we're very pleased. We will take into account your remark about food, but please consider that, as we arrange buffet dinners, sometimes food may not be always smoking hot. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Mexborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I have just returned from staying at this hotel, which I booked as a package deal with Thomson
Holidays. I booked it on an all inclusive basis, which I later regretted as I felt that I was tied too much to the hotel. There were a lot of us booking in from the Manchester flight, so it took quite a while to check in. However the management laid on a free cold drink for us all to help us whilst we waited patiently. This was wonderful as it was a very warm day, and greatly appreciated. I have stayed here 5 years previously and have never forgot what a wonderful time I had there. I did not experience any problems during my stay other than the days went too quickly. The 2 weeks just flew by. The room was very clean with ample storage space and I stayed exactly in the same room as I had done previously. Everything that I needed was provided for. It is part of a hotel complex, so you could use any of the facilities there, plus the hotel had an arrangement with a local beach club, where you got free use of the sunloungers and parasols. The local buses and trains were cheap and within easy reach from the hotel. There was a complimentary bowl of fruit and 2x1litre bottles of water on arrival, plus about half way through the week a small basket of local specialities was presented. All the staff that I met during my stay made me feel like an honoured guest and the restaurant food was all freshly prepared with plenty to choose from. I was also given a sea view room with a well furnished balcony at no extra cost.

Room Tip: Sea view and a balcony.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear gypoenid,

thank you for your review. We're glad that you had a smooth, relaxing stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We are just ending an excellent 2 week stay in the Hotel Olimpo via Thomson. Food, cleanliness and staff were all top notch. Problems were few & quickly resolved. Agree with others ref location and varied transport to reach the beach from the rooms. However we had no problems and utilised the very good very cheap local transport to visit local towns and attractions. The beach front at Letpjanni has a number of bars/restaurants & the free entry and free sunbeds at the Lido is a real bonus for beach lovers. There is also plenty of free Wi Fi along the beach area contrary to previous reviews.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Alan B
Dear Alan,

thank you for your review. We are happy that you spent a nice holiday at our hotel. We hope to see you again next year.

Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Letojanni
Hotel Antares
#2 of 6 in Campofelice di Roccella
Park Hotel Silemi
Park Hotel Silemi
#4 of 11 in Letojanni

Been to Hotel Olimpo? Share your experiences!