“Can't understand how this dump got such great reviews”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hostal Fenix

Hostal Fenix
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Can't understand how this dump got such great reviews”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

I eschewed another hotel that friends had recommended because the reviews on TA were mixed and this place had such sterling reviews. Boy, was I mistaken.

I arrived late in the evening, the man on duty spoke almost no English. He took my bag up to the room and the first thing he did was to remove one of the two sets of towels. I asked him to leave it and he politely buy firmly told me that I was only entitled to one set. This is the first time I have ever been refused extra towels. The towels are small, they are line-dried and are like sandpaper. I ended up buying a bath towel for €5 at a shop down the street. I had reserved (and paid for) a double room with a double bed. The room had two narrow single beds.

There was a fridge that made noise all the time. When the motor was running, it was very noisy, when it wasn't, there was a constant strange knocking noise. And I could hear all the noises in the adjacent room and the common areas. Fortunately most of the other guests were quiet most of the time.

The storage space consisted of one book-shelf unit and a pole with hangers. In the bathroom, there was a narrow, rusted metal shelf for toiletries. When I arrived there was one individual envelope packet of soap and one of conditioner. I opened the soap and used a bit of it. The next morning, when they cleaned, they took it away. 4 more nights, never got any more soap, never got fresh towels. Cleaning was limited to emptying the waste bin and making the bed. I found someone else's toenail clippings on the bottom of my house slippers!

I got breakfast on the first morning - a bit of doughy baguette with margarine and an unidentifiable jam, canned juice and weak tea. . . . served in the icy cold common area.

The immediate area is rundown and there are no shops or cafes.

Lastly, they charged my credit card for the first night's stay when I arrived, without telling me. When I left, they charged my credit card for all 5 nights. When I discovered this, a few days later, I emailed them and got an unsatisfactory response. After a couple more email exchanges they did acknowledge the double charge and agree to refund the excess, but they were not pleasant or apologetic.

I've never written a negative review before, but this was one of the worst places I've ever stayed. The price was only €2-4 less than hotels closer to the center and I left feeling cheated.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Pitzikat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Ivybridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

Lovely clean and welcoming small hotel with friendly owners able to speak enough English to help us find what we wanted. recommended by tourist office in Jerez. Excellent value if you like things simple, clean and comfortable. Breakfast included was juice, coffee and toast. well positioned for access to tourist attractions, bars and restaurants on foot. Parking is arranged nearby in safe underground car park if you need it, and there is a charge for this but overall we thought the cost was very reasonable.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jackdaw42
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012 via mobile

We stayed for one night in this excellent hotel. We arrived quite late and received a very warm friendly welcome. Our room was small but very clean and well decorated and a nice firm bed (a bit small). The bathroom was clean too. We had a room with a balcony looking onto the street and it was very quiet. The building is old, with just a few rooms and an inside court yard. The location is excellent in the old atmospheric part of town and about 10 minutes walk from places to eat. Staff directed us to a square where we ate dinner for two with wine for 20 euros as part of a wine festival, and directed us to the station too the next day (10 minutes walk). Having breakfast included was convenient. It was excellent value at 40 euros. A great start to a holiday! A taxi from the airport was 15 euros and the driver knew the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank wildswimmer
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

I have never left a negative review before but felt forced to do so after trying to resolve a dispute with the hotel over how much they charged to my credit card. A deposit of 80 euros was taken off my card before arriving at the hotel and was not deducted from the amount owing on check out. Despite raising this with the hotel and my credit card company, the hotel has refused to refund the deposit. Unfortunately as the amount was under £100 i cannot recover this under the legislation relating to credit card sales. It is such a shame our holiday ended in this way as we enjoyed staying at the hotel and would have left a good review had it not been for this.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank LorlorLondon
Granada, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

What a lovely place. I read previous reviews so sort of knew what to expect but it was better.
We arrived after a little difficulty in finding the hostel but once there we were welcomed as if we were family visitors. After ringing the bell the owner helped to unload the car and then he took my husband to park. I booked in and was told about breakfast, being served either in our room or in one of the sitting areas around the building, then when hubby returned the owners wife helped us to our room with our bags. The room was light and airy, very efficient and quiet air con!, with simple decor and very clean. The shower in our bathroom was huge, and there was shower gel. We didn't have a bath or hair dryer but I couldn't say about other rooms.. Although only a hostel there is someone there 24 hrs so if there are any problems or requests you just need to ask, you are given a key to come and go as you please but the door is always locked so it feels very safe. The location is good for all attractions yet right in the heart of the residential old area, most of the roads are narrow and cobbled.There is a newer pedestrian shopping and eating centre minutes away best at night.
This is definitely a place to be recommended.

Room Tip: There are rooms off the main ground floor area which could be noisy but the whole hostal was very qu...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sue H
Gibraltar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012 via mobile

Hard to find at first, but maybe that is just my map reading ability. Once inside we were shown to a nice room by a very cheerful and happy bloke on reception. This place is a great base in a decent central location. Spent little time in the room to be honest as we were more interested in exploring. Our room fronted on to the street, so we were woken up in the small hours of the morning by other guests returning, but it was no biggie. Nice overall, and would stay again if returning to Jerez on the same budget.

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KingSpirit111
Cambridge MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

Comfortable. Lovely owner/staff. Large room with good wifi and a wine fridge to boot! Great location. Basic but tasty breakfast. Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: room 14 was large and quite (even though at the front).
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple