We booked a few days away doing a two city trip - part golf, part enjoyment ! Jerez is not easy to fly to in February so we hired a car from Seville - that is another story - but the drive down from Seville to Jerez is a great drive, (after you have got a map) not difficult at all. Finding the Barcelo hotel however, is not that easy until you know where you are going and then it`s DEAD easy. It took us about an hour and several calls back home.....however, c`est la vie. we got there. First impressions on arrival at the resort gates were very optimistic. Upon entering the foyer it was MORE than optimistic - it is beautiful. Not `a hive of activity` but elegant and welcoming, as are the staff. The weather was the opposite, and it is sad the non stop rain turned the golf course into a football field and my new golf shoes into what looked like football boots. We had paid a bit extra for the room (411) which overlooked the golf course, and when the rain let up for a while, it was lovely to sit outside on the balcony with (a) glass of wine, watching people who should have more sense and continuing to play golf ! Depending on how you value for money and meals, an optional dinner menu was £25.00 per person meal which comes with half a bottle of wine. In reality, you can return to the buffet tables, beautifully set out and eat your way through the widest selection of cheeses/meats/olives/fruits/breads and ultimately, if you choose, ask the on hand chef to cook for you what he has as special that evening. Take your time - look first and don`t do like I did and pile my plate up because I thought it would run out !. The second night I knew better ! It is a great deal and one to enjoy - slowly. Praise where it is not only due but very deserving, are the dining room staff. At breakfast the same warm and welcoming service levels by lovely people are so obvious and in the evening, the staff have the same attention to not being TOO obvious but there to fill your glass and make sure there are there if you want anything. The spa is an experience that fortunately other people didn`t try, and it was like having one`s one special gym and lovely warm pool it`s not actually IN the hotel and is about 100 yards away). NOW - a warning to the un wise. My reason for playing golf is to try to keep fit. Buggies are recommended here and retrospectively, I know why ! Two days of walking on that golf course, (I narrowly escaped three) even to me who walks in the Peak District, was (can`t use the word I would choose on this forum) let`s say "exhausting".! Up hill and down dale, some holes are 150 yards away and across the main road from the previous green, not once in the course of 18 holes but probably six times this occurs. The 13th hole, after you have driven off, WHICHEVER way you go down the path towards the fairway, in buggy or on foot, is hair raising being a 1 in 10 descent.(only a slight exaggeration) My new golf shoes on a slippy block paved pathway were a nightmare made worse by the rain, I might as well have been in the slalom at Sochi. Your enjoyment of this course obviously depends on what standard of golfer you are and if you are used to a great course you will no doubt be chuntering a bit about the fairways - but not the greens. They are not slicker at St Andrews than this, and the slopes are bound to catch you out - several times.
The closeness to Jerez makes this hotel acceptable if you are a bit of fidget like me - If you are happy and have brought some friends too the hotel is a great place to take advantage of all its facilities; There were a few people on their own and were just able to sit on the comfortable sofa`s and enjoy a drink and a read, We were using this hotel to stay for a few days and then moving on, and found it has an ambience that is not too posh but posh enough and I (yes, even me) would really recommend it. Just bear in mind, you really ought to have a car - the `ten minutes to Jerez` quote, is by helicopter.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Barcelo Montecastillo Golf***** hotel is a real icon in the area ofJerez, Cadiz, thanks to the high standard of its facilities and the elegant design and simplicity that characterise it. The hotel is perfect for golf lovers giving its guests unlimited use of the course without the cost of green fees. It is also the ideal location if you are looking to relax in an exceptional setting, thanks to its complete Health and Wellness Centre. The hotel offers everything you could wish for: heated swimming pool, jacuzzi, gym, treatment booths, tennis and paddle courts, jogging tracks, free Wi-Fi, etc. The Barcelo Montecastillo Golf hotel has a total of 208 rooms, all fully equipped and boasting exquisite decoration. In addition there are a group of villas, ideal for families and groups of friends that want to discover Jerez, with its equestrian shows and its famous bodegas. And if you are looking to enjoy an exclusive venue for your events and conventions: remember! Our resort is part of the Barcelo Jerez Montecastillo& Convention Center **** hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Barcelo, Priceline, LoveHolidays, Agoda, Hotels.com, Prestigia and Booking.com so you can book your Barcelo Montecastillo Golf reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Montecastillo Hotel Jerez De La Frontera
- Barcelo Jerez De La Frontera