“Truly awful tour”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$101.80*
and up
Jerez Day Trip from Gibraltar with Horse Show and...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Our Fundador Wineries, since 1730, the oldest in Jerez, a place full of memories. Its origin dates back to 1730. It is a very special place due to its centennial walls, ancestral columns, and enologic relics, such as the first Fundador barrel signed by King Alfonso XIII, all of which are considered gems of enology.
Reviewed 26 September 2012

We know nothing about Sherry and genuinely wanted to learn about it. We could have gained more information from Google!

The tour starts with a video of horses running through vineyards and a man taking photos of grapes. I don't know if there was any good information on said video, as its been played so many times the sound is so distorted I could barely hear it. We then had about 45 minutes to walk through the Bodega with the 'Tour Guide'. Unfortunately I think the real guide was on a day off, so rather than canceling it, it was guided by a girl who seemed to be the secretary.

At first I was annoyed, but by the end of the tour I felt a bit sorry for her. It was when we spent an extraordinary amount of time looking at sherry barrels marked with signatures of people I've never heard of, I realised she basically had 10 minutes worth of knowledge to stretch over the 45 we had left of the hour. I also thought initially that she was walking so slowly for the benefit of the older amongst the group, but really it was because she knew as much about sherry as we did.

Unfortunately her English only extended to the script of the tour so she either didn't understand our questions, or if she did understand she didn't have the knowledge to answer. (I'm not criticising her here, I speak no Spanish, but the company should not allow someone who only speaks a tiny bit of English to guide an English speaking tour). I have never come so close to asking for my money back. We were truly robbed here.

The best thing about the tour was the tasting. We met a lovely English couple and a nice Dutch man. We really enjoyed their company over our bottle of Sherry. Unfortunately we were only able to taste their basic product and their Harvey's Bristol Cream (which 4 out of the 5 of us had already tasted back home) and 2 Brandy's, we were there for Sherry and would have preferred to try the other two 'levels' of their product. The Tapas we all paid extra for was also completely inadequate. To us, potato chips do not equal Tapas or value for money.

To top off our bad experience, we chose to remain at our table in the Bodega instead of going to the shop. We were having a lovely time when half way through our glasses of sherry we were literally evicted! We were making no noise, nor causing any harm. We were just sitting enjoying what we'd paid for (trying to extract value for our money!) when at 3:35pm we were forced to leave. I expect the tasting was scheduled for 30 minutes and we'd out-stayed out welcome by 5 minutes and the security guard wanted to go for siesta.

Perhaps we were unlucky this day, that we showed up on a day when the usual guide was on a day off, but the company were irresponsible taking our money and allowing such a terrible tour to go ahead. We will surely never buy one of their products and only recommend that you DO NOT do their tour.

1  Thank Quincie
"tasting session"
"harveys"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 15 August 2012

After having called the previous day to make a reservation, we showed up at the right time at the bodega (waking up at 7.30 am to make sure we arrived on time), but the guard just said we were not allowed in. He wasnt trying to explain or look for a solution he just denied us access. There was nothing we could do, but they have definitely lost a client. I will never drink a bottle of domecq in my life. Dont trust these guys, especially when making reservation. We went to another bodega (gonzales byass) and were very happy! I believe things happen for a reason... Thanks for ruining the day Bodegas Pedro Domecq!

5  Thank Pep784
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Better vthan the first, but as we are not Sherry drinkers we had a feeling that conversion was on the way.
Good tour and very informative.{2008}

Reviewed 4 May 2012

Less organized (read less touristy) than the Tio Pepe tour - but just a short walk from there. This is the oldest Bodega. Our tour guide gave the tour in Spanish and English, supplemented with some French for the one French couple in the group.

At the end, Domecq is much more generous with their tastings than Tio Pepe. We sat with a group from Malaga plus a single Japanese man and had a conversation as we sipped from various bottles at our table until they closed the place. Still don't think the tapas is worth the extra price.

7  Thank bdjtbenson
See more reviews
Reviewed 13 November 2011

The Pedro Domecq Bodega was founded in 1730 making it Jerez’s oldest bodega. The bodega is also called "La Mezquita", the Mosque. It has gorgeous whitewashed walls and rounded Moorish arches based on the Mezquita in Cordoba. PDB's grounds are lovely to stroll around with several different gardens and patios. The Cloisters of the Dominican Convent date back to XIV century. They were restored by the bodega and transformed into a pleasant patio which can be used anytime of the year due to the ability to open or close a crystal cover over the central part of the patio.

I believe both Spanish and English tours start at 10 and 11am, noon, and 2pm Monday to Friday and Saturday tours May-Sept at noon and 2pm. Our English speaking tour guide encouraged questions and was very good at answering them. Our tour was unhurried and lasted about one hour. Pedro Domecq Bodega aging rooms have a number of barrels signed by famous people. One of its brandies is Funador, supposedly a favorite drink of Ernest Hemingway. Our guide told us several interesting stories. One of how the first Spanish brandy was created. When an Amsterdam purveyor refused a grape spirits shipment, Domecq was left with a considerable quantity of the high quality spirits residing in oak casks, where it remained for several years. By the time Pedro Domecq got around to tasting the stuff, it had turned into a quality brandy and the famous brand, Fundador, was born. Another about how Pedro Domecq became quite famous internationally for its classic sherries because of Ignacio Domecq, called "The Nose" (for his superhuman sense of smell and tasting abilities). When Don Ignacio died in 1997 his son Beltrn Domecq competently took over the helm.

Our tour visited both sherry and brandy areas and the tasting patio included 4 different varieties. I believe they were Fundador Solera, Terry Fino, Terry Centenario and Harvey's Bristol Cream. We had a whole bottle of all four at each table which allowed for unlimited sampling. Olives, crackers and water were also provided. (I am not a sherry/brandy connoisseur, so hopefully someone who is and has also been to PDB can add a review). However, those on our tour who were fond of brandy, did seem to enjoy their tastings, particularly the Harveys and bought several souvenirs.

Photos were allowed everywhere in the bodega. I took several photos of PBD's grounds, cask aging rooms and lovely tasting patios. But I forgot and included casks or bottles with PDB's commercial labels in the photos, so likely TA's editor's rules against advertisement will exclude them. Go to their website for photos/videos of how lovely the winery is and all their selections. Note: You need to check into the Beam Global Espana website by entering your date of birth and select the Bodegs Fundador Pedro Domecq / English icon.

4  Thank OTR_Again_IM