“Poor service, unhelpful staff, no working safe and a locked minibar!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Gran Hotel Verdi

Gran Hotel Verdi
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Sabadell
Guernsey, United Kingdom
“Poor service, unhelpful staff, no working safe and a locked minibar!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed here last weekend for two nights as I was visiting friends in the area. To start with the positives, the hotel was conveniently located, the bed comfortable, bathroom clean and there was always a taxi outside.

However, the decor was tired (which I can forgive) but what I can't forgive is the appalling customer service.

On check-in I was given my room key and told that I would be on the second floor. Nothing more. On check out, I was told that breakfast was included in my room rate. I had missed breakfast for the duration of my stay as it clearly said on my room documentation that breakfast was not included and there would be a charge of 13 euros per day if breakfast was taken at the hotel.

I pointed this out as I paid my bill, and the chap on reception told me that as I was on a deal anyway, he would not be taking off the cost of the breakfasts which I hadn't had. No apology.

At every other hotel where I have stayed and breakfast was included (and even when it was not included...) the check in staff tell you the hours it is served and where. I was given no such information, and this, coupled with the clear indication that 'desayuno' was one of the 'services not included' on my room key folder led me to believe i was not entitled to it. Poor, poor service.

Secondly, my safe did not work in my room. But it did have a minibar. So after a long day out and about, I wanted to get a coke from the minibar. It was locked. Switched on and working, with an enticing list of what treats were inside, but locked. I was about to take a bath, so called reception to enquire how to access the minibar. I was told I needed to go to reception and get a key for it. I was about to have a bath!! I didn't want a coke so badly that I was about to get dressed, trudge down two floors to pick up a key which would give me the privelege of being able to access an overpriced can of coke! (and anyhow, had I gone downstairs, I could have picked up one more cheaply from the lobby vending machine!) There was no offer to bring a key to my room for me. Another fail.

Following my bath, I went to dry my hair - and the hairdryer didn't work. So I called reception (again) to enquire whether they had a spare. I was as there was no housekeeping staff on duty until the morning, so I would have to wait until then! I have never stayed in a hotel which does not have a spare hairdryer - even if they are not provided in the rooms, most have a spare. Unbelievable! I did ask whether there was a spare room that I could use the hairdryer in - but they were fully booked.

So between the world's most unhelpful and uncaring reception staff, the world's most secure minibar, and the world's most unsecure room safe - there is certainly room for improvement at the Gran Hotel Verdi!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Rosh G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Turkish first
Berlin, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

We stay in this hotel 3 nights
The person on reception was the most rudest and ignorant person i have ever met in my entire life.His name is Arnau.
We ask for a doublé bed hi gave us a twin bed room,we ask for a no smoking room he gave us a smoking room .any questions that you put the answer will be the same, come back later or later we call you......

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank smirko39
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

We stayed here as a result of a cancelled flight. We checked in (after a very long wait) and got to the room at 5.15am. The hotel rang us at 7.30 am to tell us that the breakfast was at 9am (even though the room information said that breakfast was served until 10.30 - and they could have told us that when we checked in). When we complained in the morning the staff were unresponsive and eventually reluctantly agreed that they should not have done this.

The rooms are in poor condition, the air-con barely worked and the hotel is located on a busy road.

I will never stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank brendan m
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

I stayed with my group for two days in this hotel,would like to appreciate the staff at the reception,Marta,Alex,Arnau and Monica.These people were really helpful and kind.They were very kind towards my group and also helped me to arrange a birthday cake.Would definitely recommend this hotel as you have lot of pub joints and a big shopping mall around.Thanx again.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank rohitd336
Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

This is a value for night stay hotel, in the out skirts of Barcelona. This is a good choice during the summer holidays, where tourist crowd is maximum. The hotel has a large reception area, well spread to sit and relax after a long day. The rooms are well done, in keeping with the tradition. The bath tub and toilets are clean. The towels could have been more clean and so is the bed linen.
The rooms on the new wing, perhaps are better.
The most positive of the hotel is the well spread breakfast. The coffee is out standing and the service of the staff is extraordinary. It is a pleasure to have buffet breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Padcee
W Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights a few days back.
My opinion, well the food is reasonable, if overpriced slightly, the hotel is positioned next to a useful store that sells just about anything and the prices are okish.
The bad points, as previously mentioned the rooms are very dated, the whole place is just worn out and needs updating.
The beds are criminally flimsy and move with a nice loud scrape if you turn over. The whole place is just not up to scratch, but if your on a budget then go for it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ZX6RRick
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012

Great value for money, staff freindly and helpful, room clean and tidy albeit a bit on the small size, Food fine although limited choice. breakfast good. A number of eating establishments close by. Approx 45 mins from airport. The floor I was on didn't appear to be in need of much rennovation, althogh the corridor looked a little tired.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank paul k
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sabadell
Hotel Catalonia Sabadell
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center La Mola
Eurostars Executive Hotel
Eurostars Executive Hotel
#2 of 3 in Barbera del Valles

Been to Gran Hotel Verdi? Share your experiences!