“Fabulous holiday - the staff make it”
Review of Lindos Mare Hotel

Lindos Mare Hotel
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Lindos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My friend and I (two girls) just got back from a brilliant one-week break at the Lindos Mare (end July / beginning August). We paid £777 each for flights, transfers, twin room (without sea view) and half board (breakfast and dinner) for seven nights (although really six, as we arrived at 7am on the morning after our first night) with Thomson. We both thought this was excellent value for money, especially in school holidays.

It's really difficult to write a concise review that does the hotel justice, but I'm just going to throw in a few points which really impressed us during the week - although I'm aware that I'll be largely echoing the excellent reviews the hotel has had recently.

Firstly, the staff can't be praised highly enough - they really do go out of their way to make you feel valued as a guest and to give you a great holiday experience. This started even before we flew out there - I had a couple of queries which I raised by email and Christina the reservations manager emailed me well after her working hours (from home) with a full and helpful reply. This set the tone for the whole week. In the restaurant, Alex, Savvas, Giannis and Tsambika deserve special mention for their hard work and "nothing is too much trouble" attitude but also the younger members of staff who worked tirelessly in blistering heat whilst still taking time to show good humour and friendliness - too many to name but we didn't come across anyone who didn't show the same spirit. The lifeguard on the main pool deserves a special mention as she really went above and beyond - we were really impressed with her interaction with all the guests but particularly the children who she went out of her way to get to know. The beach attendants and lifeguard are also very friendly and helpful, and Vangelis and Mariana in the Vergina bar were great fun - Vangelis really knows his stuff and his cocktails have to be experienced!! We even got to know the laundry man who we saw occasionally round the hotel and who was always so friendly. These are just the people we got to know which bearing in mind we were only there for a week is testament to how friendly everyone is.

Partly as a result, the mood amongst fellow guests is also very pleasant and relaxing. We really enjoyed having a mix of guests at the hotel - i.e. not all English, but also (at least) Russian, German, Austrian Spanish, French and Greek, which added to the holiday feel.

We found the location perfect. It's about 3km out of Lindos, which is easily accessible by bus (about once an hour on average - the bus stop is right outside the hotel) or taxi (8 euros there, 6 euros back - yup, makes no sense to me either). You can also get a bus to Rhodes. The hotel is right on the beach - as others have said it is built into the hillside so there are a few steps to get to the beach. If you have very little children, or definitely if mobility is an issue, I wouldn't recommend it. There is a lift system which is totally fine for getting round the hotel but to get right to the beach I don't think you can altogether avoid some steps. If you've got normal mobility you will be absolutely fine. I'm no athlete and it wasn't even a slight issue, even in midday temperatures. Once you get to the beach there really are plenty of loungers and relatively regular beach bar service (i.e. they'll walk up and down and take orders / bring drinks - at no extra charge to the normal hotel prices, which I thought was good).

I believe the majority of rooms have sea views - sadly ours didn't but this was only because we booked with Thomson who didn't really make it clear that we had to specifically opt for that - so watch out for that when booking. Our room itself was lovely but it would have been nice to have a view and in particular it meant we had to close the curtains whenever we wanted to get ready as our room faced an internal courtyard which had pretty frequent footfall. The hotel were really great about this and showed us another non-view option but as they were completely full we couldn't switch to a room with a view - not their fault at all, just not possible. There's a good range of toiletries in the rooms as well as a safe, TV, hairdryer, plenty of coat hangers, tea and coffee making facilities and a good sized fridge. I was really impressed with the latter two given this isn't a self catering place.

Everywhere is spotlessly clean. Your room towels are changed as often as you want, and they also supply beach towels which you can change every three days. I thought this wouldn't be often enough but actually it was fine.

There are two pools - the main one which is the one in the majority of photos, and another smaller one about half way down the steps to the beach. Both have a bar which serves a full range of food and drink. We tended to use the main pool and again there were plenty of loungers (bearing in mind the hotel was full when we were there, we never once had an issue getting two loungers together, at various times of day). There are already a few inflatables in the pool provided by the hotel which I thought was a nice touch. It was a good size and I didn't find pool traffic an issue, especially bearing in mind that the hotel was at full capacity. Ok occasionally I had to dodge the odd lilo or overenthusiastically thrown beach ball but come on, it's a holiday hotel pool not a gym. It was far better than any other hotel pool I've ever used and it does have lanes which really helps.

Mealtimes: ah, where to begin. I've never experienced buffets like it - and for my hips it's a good job. The range and quality of food at both breakfast and dinner was incredible. You will not go hungry. In the evening there is also the option to choose one of three meals from a menu (in addition to the buffet if you prefer something a bit more "formal") at no extra cost, and if you want to level up from that you can also pay a little extra to dine in the a la carte restaurant which is a floor up - we didn't as we were already ecstatic with the standard provision. My friend is pescetarian (i.e. eats fish but not other meat) and was completely happy with the options available. If you are a really strict vegetarian you might be a bit more limited and they're not great at avoiding cross-contamination (e.g. same serving spoons for meat and veggie dishes) so you might want to watch out for that but I don't think that's by any means a problem isolated to this hotel!

There's regular high quality entertainment - during our stay there was a Greek dancing night and an Il Divo tribute act at least (there may have been more but those are the two we caught). I grimaced a little when I saw the posters for both, to be honest, as I thought it would be similar to the type of stuff I've seen at other resort hotels but actually both were really very good. There's not a huge amount to do for kids other than pool, beach, a little playground area and a games room with air hockey, table tennis and pool - so I think you'd need to be prepared to amuse your own children if you're planning on bringing them.

There's a spa and gym although I didn't use these so can't comment, other than to say I did look at the price list for the spa treatments and thought it was very reasonable.

Outside of the hotel we did a few things - it's definitely worth a wander around the little streets of Lindos; the shops sell mainly the usual tourist stuff but it's still interesting to have a poke around. The acropolis is worth the ten minute walk up too - reserve at least half an hour to walk around up there. It costs 6 euros to get in. We also did the VIP boat cruise on the Ostria boat (booked through Thomson but I don't think you have to have booked your hotel stay with Thomson to go on the cruise). This cost 65 euro, but you get picked up at about 10am in St Paul's bay in Lindos and don't come back til about 4, with various swim stops through the day as well as snacks and a fantastic lunch. There's free wine thrown in at lunchtime and free soft drinks and water all day. There's a max of 20 guests and no little children allowed (teenagers are fine although I'm not sure what the cut-off age is). Finally we also went to the waterpark which I think would be fun with kids (although be aware there are quite a few rides with age restrictions) but isn't the best I've been to for adults.

All in all, I have to say this was one of the best holidays I've ever been on in terms of getting exactly what I wanted for that type of trip and in light of the price paid.

One final word - I often worry about hotels that start to get consistent five star reviews, as to some extent (and understandably so) that sets guests' expectations at a very high level. If you're thinking of staying here, you need to understand that it getting five star reviews DOESN'T mean it's a five star resort with all the bells and whistles that you would expect from somewhere that is(and would pay a lot more for), like a Four Seasons or similar. I mean this very much as a compliment rather than a complaint - I'm mentioning it only because I've seen great hotels have meteoric TripAdvisor ratings rises in the past, only to see them get panned by readers who then go expecting too much. For the price tag, this hotel offers fantastic services, in a great location, with (above all) excellent staff. It excels at what it does.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Thorchick
Thanasis T, General Manager at Lindos Mare Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear "Thorchick",

We sincerely thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review on your recent holiday at Lindos Mare.

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of your holidays, such as the view, special cocktails at the Vergina bar and the food selections in our restaurant. Thank you for highlighting to other readers that you enjoyed many of our hotel facilities such as the pools, the hotel location, the entertainment theme nights and our spa facilities.

Your description of your time with us was such a pleasure to read, and it genuinely fills me with pride to read about the memorable experience our team was able to create for you. I am so pleased to read that our team gave you so many fond memories with their commitment to sincere personalised service. I will personally pass on your thanks to all of them for their contribution to your stay.

Thank you once again for your time. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you both back to Lindos Mare in the near future for another wonderful holiday experience.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We came back from Lindos Mare last week and are still talking about our magnificent holiday. Lindos Mare was a fantastic hotel with professional and excellent staff and service, we could not have hoped for more.

The location is lovely, the views from the rooms and restaurants / pool area are great and the rooms nice and clean. The beautiful village of Lindos is just a quick bus or taxi ride away.

Food is excellent and there is so much to choose from. We enjoyed mostly buffet dinners but also attended the Seafood Festival in the a'la carte restaurant one evening.

Car rental is also possible from the hotel and if you are a half board customer, you can switch your dinner to a lunch box prepared by the hotel for your day trip.

I highly recommend Lindos Mare, we will be back!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Annemi83

Dear “Annemi83”,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on this website.

I was delighted to learn that your stay with us was such a success, and that we were able to exceed your expectations. It is always such a pleasure for me to read about our guests’ appreciation of the service our team have provided, so thank you for leaving your comments for us.

I do hope that we will soon have the opportunity to welcome you back to Lindos Mare, for another memorable experience.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

My husband and i stayed at this hotel from 16th to 26th of July and could not fault it. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff. Due to medical problems we did not book this holiday until about 3 weeks before we went, so was a little apprehensive but need not have worried. It was beyond all our expectations. The food was a veritable feast every day. There was always plenty of sunbeds available at any time of day, but that did not stop the odd guests that just had to claim their beds!! Would love to go back here, and hope to soon.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tina c
Thanasis T, General Manager at Lindos Mare Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear “tina c”,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us on this website.

Our hotel facilities, the food selections served in our restaurants and bars together with the service provided by our team are elements of our hotel that we are extremely proud of and it is always such as pleasure to read our guests positive comments regarding these.

Thank you for selecting Lindos Mare for your stay in Rhodes. We do look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I have nothing put praise for this hotel!

Stunning rooms with amazing views!

Peaceful, relaxing and tranquil. Beautiful beach or gorgeous poolside - take your pick.

Wonderful food, top notch service - worth every penny.

Take my advice and go!

Room Tip: I always ask for a quiet room!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear “Rebecca M”,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us on this website.

I was so pleased that you enjoyed your overall experience in our hotel and your kind comments regarding our service level are most welcome.

We do look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed as a family (two adults, two kids) in July. This is a very distinctive hotel, built on a hillside, with fantastic views of a beautiful bay. The fact that the hotel is spread over several levels, connected by lifts and a funicular, added to its charm. Once you've worked out how all the lifts connect you hardly have to climb any steps.

The staff were among the friendliest and most helpful we've ever met and the rooms stylish and spotless. The air con meant I got a better night's sleep than I did during the recent British heatwave.

We all enjoyed the buffet breakfasts and dinners. Most of the time we didn't see the need for the 3 a la carte dinner options. It was particularly nice to enjoy the traditional Greek items on the buffet, such as tsatsiki, baklava and that lovely yellow bread you don't seem to find anywhere else.

It's a short taxi ride (8 Euros each way) to Lindos town, which has a breath-taking bay overlooked by an acropolis. We loved wandering the narrow (shady) streets and looking at the white-washed houses and souvenir shops. We also loved the coffees and ice-creams at Gel O Blu cafe!

The main hotel pool was great (we didn't get time to try the smaller one) and it was a particularly nice touch that inflatables were provided by the hotel so we didn't have to spend ages inflating our own!

The gym was small but adequate, and I had the best aromatherapy massage I've ever had in the spa.

Outside the hotel on the beach there were great watersports (banana boats etc.) a handful of pleasant bar/cafes, and a supermarket.

We (the adults, that is) enjoyed trying the various expertly-made cocktails in Vergina Bar. I have decided to grow mint so I can make my own mojitos at home now.

We were glad to find a games room as we like table tennis and pool, but one of the few things that could be improved is the games room climate - it got very hot indeed, and could do with a powerful fan or some air-con.

We would happily return to the Lindos Mare.

Room Tip: The 2-room suite was great for 4 people. The childrens' beds (one sofabed, one single) were in...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Heather M

Dear “HeatherM”,

It was very kind of you to post your feedback on this website following your stay with us.

I was absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your overall experience in the hotel and that our product and service exceeded your expectations.

Our aim is always to provide true Greek hospitality and I am delighted that the team were able to display their excellent friendliness and helpfulness during your stay.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I stayed at Lindos Mare for 1 week with my Mum at the end of July. There is not one thing I could fault about this hotel. Upon arriving we were allocated the incorrect room, however, this was resolved quickly and was just due to us upgrading our room after booking. Also, as we arrived late (10PM) we had club sandwiches waiting for us in our room because we missed dinner, unfortunately my Mum is a vegetarian so couldn't eat hers, so we rang reception and they brought us two huge portions of vegetarian wraps with salad! Just shows all the staff are willing to go the extra mile for the guests which was very appreciated. All the staff were wonderful, always willing to help and were very welcoming.
If you're worried about the food, please don't be! Breakfast is buffet with a huge variety of different foods to choose from and the evening meal is buffet and a la carte with a changing menu every day. The quality of food is fantastic and the a la carte restaurant (Pelagos) is excellent value for money. Also, there is a lot of brilliant evening entertainment, Greek night is a lot of fun! The facilities were very good, two lovely pools, a brilliant spa and a private beach.
I would 100% recommend this hotel to couples and family holidays. Thank you to everyone at Lindos Mare for a fantastic holiday!!

Room Tip: Ask for the room in the 500's (501-507), big rooms with sea views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear “Jess F”,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback on this website. This is greatly valued and much appreciated.

It is always a pleasure to read such very kind comments and I am delighted that you enjoyed many details of our hotel such as the Breakfast buffet at Estia restaurant, the food choice in our Pelagos A la carte restaurant, the Greek night and also the excellent hotel location.

We endeavor to ensure that all our guests’ experiences are as comfortable and memorable as possible, and I am very pleased that service level met your expectations.

Thank you very much for choosing Lindos Mare, we do look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

This was our first visit to Lindos Hotel and we didn't regret the choice we've made. The hotel has a great position on a hill, with wonderful view of Vlcha Bay. Rooms are very cosy and clean, restaurants have excellent food, also the main restaurant and the pool restaurat (a la carte). The seafood night was amazing, and the performers (singers and dancers) were also fabulous. All the Lindos Mare staff did a great job during our stay. A big plus for Michalis and Christina from the reception, Mariana from the bar, Giannis from te main restaurant, and a big big plus for Giannis from the pool snack bar-restaurant.

Room Tip: 501, 511 are rooms with excellent seaviews
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank bbogdan2012

Dear “bbogdan2012”,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your holiday experience with us.

Here in Lindos Mare, we do endeavour to ensure that all our guests feel at home away from home , and it was so pleasing to receive your very kind comments regarding our restaurants food selection, our facilities and of course our entertainment theme nights.

We continually aim to deliver high standards of Greek hospitality to delight our guests and I am very pleased that you experienced this from the team.

I do hope that we will soon have the opportunity to welcome you back to Lindos Mare for another wonderful stay.

Thanasis Tougounzoglou

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lindos
Lindos Blu
Lindos White Hotel and Suites
Atrium Platinum Hotel
Atrium Platinum Hotel
#5 of 126 in Rhodes Town

Been to Lindos Mare Hotel? Share your experiences!