“Lovely Hotel & Staff. Really Beautiful Location but not for eating out”

TUI Sensimar Lindos Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Lindos
“Lovely Hotel & Staff. Really Beautiful Location but not for eating out”
Reviewed 22 October 2009

We booked with Thomas Cook to visit this hotel in October 2009. We used TripAdvisor to find a hotel suitable for our needs and this hotel was the best that Thomas Cook did in the area (review-wise).

Tripadvisor came up trumps. We got exactly what we thought we were going to get.

__Good Points__
Hotel immaculate. It's a 4-star hotel, but 5-star cleanliness.
Beautiful hotel, marble everywhere. 5-star feel to it !
Rooms are lovely. Not 100% sure, but I think every room has its own living room area and balcony.
Food - We didn't want half board (just B+B would have been fine (or so we thought)), but the hotel's beautiful location forces you to eat in (with the exception of a single cafe/restaurant 200m away), so it turned out that the forced half-board (with Thomas Cook) was spot on. The food was very tasty indeed. Huge variety of dishes. You'd have to be a VERY fussy eater to not find something you liked. Vegetarians also seemed well catered for. Only complaint - the odd dish was over-salted.
Staff - Generally very nice and helpful but see Bad Points (also)

__Bad Points__ (I feel guilty for putting these, because we had such a lovely holiday)
Staff - I'm nitpicking here, but the staff were a bit lax at clearing away dirty plates and setting up new tables.
NO ROOM SERVICE. I should learn but 4-star in Europe doesn't mean room service like it does in the UK. Sometimes, it's nice to not have to get dolled up for some food.
Spa Area - We visited it on the first day and we're told that the pool heater was broke. My wife is disabled, so a hot swim has huge therapeutic value so big disappointment.
Single Cockroach - I only saw ONE cockroach throughout the whole holiday and I am hypersensitive to them 'cos my wife hates them. It wasn't in the bedroom and my wife didn't see it otherwise this would have been a very different review. It was behind the bar in the reception area. It crawled up a marble column and slid under the work surface. It was a biggie, but it was the ONLY one I saw, so for hot climes, that is a result !

In summary, we had a great holiday. The good points far outweighed the bad and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Sheffield
Reviewed 18 October 2009

We were a party of 10 and had booked 5 seaview rooms with First Choice for my daughters wedding in Lindos.My elderly parents were also in our party with walking difficulties and were celebrating there diamond wedding whilst myself and husband our ruby.We purposely booked this hotel to ensure the seaviews and paid due supplements amounting to 500 pound.On our arrival on the Saturday evening we were told that no seaview rooms were available and that we could move on the Monday.This we accepted although really dissapointed.
Monday came and we were told that once again no rooms were available.This was incredibly dissapointing as our room was over looking the air conditioning tanks and all the rooms were in total darkness at night with no views what so ever .During the day my parents had planned to watch all of us round the pool but instead looked out at a mountain.
We asked to speak to the manager and complained but he could only offer my parents a move later that day and the other 4 rooms on the Wednesday.
Bearing in mind that my daughter was getting married on the Thursday this was terribly dissapointing as we were all living out of our suitcases.
We spoke to the First Choice rep that night who immediately went on the defensive stating that this was not FCs fault but the hotels.I tried to explain our dissapointment and explained that as we had booked with them as our agents they should take some responsibility, but she talked over me and she actually said to my daughter (she did not realise) "I don't like how SHE spoke to me"My daughter said in an extremely calm manner that she was over reacting and being VERY sensitive" I was truly amazed as I never raised my voice and was asking for help
She eventually agreed to speak to her Manager to try to resolve the matter and I must admit she appeared to be genuinely sorry for her remarks
Wednesday came and we went to reception, only to be once again told that our party had not been allocated seaview rooms. 12 other couples all with FC HAD been allocated a move who were in the same situation as ourselves
All 10 of our party demanded to see the manager and we were taken to his office.He told us that reception had got it wrong (they had not) and offered to upgrade my daughter to a suite,a move by 1pm for the rest of our party.A free bar for one night and a 2 day car hire.We were also given a meal in the al a carte which in itself was disastorous with no choice available as the chef had to go by 9pm and as we were a large party we could be sat there until 11pm waiting for our meal! We had pre booked this meal for a 7pm start so WHY 11
This upset was never about compensation as all we wanted was what we had booked and paid for 11 months earlier to ensure a great holiday and wedding for our daughter.
I feel that both the hotel and FC let down what should have been a truly memorable holiday.We were all left thoroughly dissapointed but fortunately the wedding day on the Thursday with reception at Lindian Gulf surpassed everything! It was tremendous and the weather for our 2 weeks was brilliant, often reaching over 30 degrees
All I need to say is that if you book seaview rooms don't expect to get them.If you are lucky enough you will definitely not be dissapointed.The rooms themselves are brilliant and the waiting staff and food are exceptional. Please bear in mind that drinks are very expensive with one shot of gin being 5.5 euros and a tonic 2.75 euros in the hotel
You most definitely need a car or you will need to grab a taxi to go into Lindos at night as there is nothing except for the Lindian Gulf or the Lemon Tree to go out to at night.
On our first night my parents were exhausted and I rang reception to say that there were no glasses or water in there room only to be told "Then come down for some" There is no room service or care from this hotel.You also have to pay to use the fitness room.
The pool area and sunbeds are immaculate and plentiful

Overall as a large party we put our initial dissapointment behind us and did enjoy the rest of our holiday.It may seem a small point expecting seaviews but after paying out nearly 10k to book a dream hotel with exceptional views we were left feeling thoroughly let down by FC.
If you are getting married or celebrating a special occasion then stay at Lindos Mare where apparently the service and care is second to none. This was our initial first choice but due to the hilly position we decided against it because of my parents.
We will never again travel with First Choice whose level of customer care was sadly lacking.We have travelled on many holidays with them including long haul but since merging with Thomson ??????? What a dissapointment.

Please please be aware!!

• Stayed October 2009
Fakenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2009

Booked with First Choice and apart from the fact that we arrived in Rhodes at about 4 in the morning we were met and transferred to our hotel with excellent efficiency.
On arriving we were just given the key to our room. We thought that the air conditioning had been switched off due to the lateness of the season so we spent an unconfortable time trying to get to sleep till I got up and opened the balcony window to look at the sunrise and found that the air con turned on when I closed it, it hadn't been closed before. Apart from that everything else was excellent.
As we were towards the end of the season it wasn't as crowed and we did not have any problems of tables etc at breakfast where you could feast like a King.
We changed our evening meal for lunch four of the six nights, once for a packed lunch, which was bread rolls, a tin of luncheon meat and a tin of tuna, six pieces of fruit and four bottles of water, however it is a good job I took the knife we had in our room as spreading the butter and cutting slices of the tinned meat would have been hard without.
We had three of the lunches in the restaurant by the pool, the ticket only allowed you to take from the self service which was a bit limiting but by the last time there were so few guests they had removed the self service and we could have a snack from the menu, OK but watch out as they will charge for any drinks you have including water.
The room was kept spotless and the nice touch of a couple of bottles of beer in the fridge and a half bottle of wine was appreciated.
You can walk along the beach to the other hotels, where my daughter and son were staying, but you do not walk by the road and certainly not to Lindos which is about 3km away.
We took a taxi to Lindos but were charged €12 for four of us, I think that was too much, we caught the bus back about €1.50 each.
I had hired a car for some of the time using Rodos Cars, I found them on the Internet.
€240 for a Nissan Note for 6 days, car had done 41,000Km so not 'new' as they claimed but the car was spotless. (at the airport they wanted up to €600 for the same) We went to Rodos for the day and when we came back had two flat tyres, he came out in about 30 mins, one tyre had deflated due to a very badly dented rim which he fixed and re-inflated the other had a screw in it. As he was unable to effect a repair he gave us his car, another Note with similar mileage, excellent service. The roads in Rhodes are not that good and the main road from Rodos to Lindos is being widened however the drivers are totally MAD, they have one speed, which is dictated by the state of the road and not the speed limit, so if 100km/h seems fine because of the road surface then they totally ignore EVERY speed limit and will overtake you in a 50 limit or an 80 etc etc, the taxis as the worst, they also totally ignore continuous white lines, overtaking quite freely and also Stop signs. Motorcyclist don't bother wearing crash helmets and cyclists are happy without lights at night!!!!!
As others have said the hotel is NOT in Lindos.
Lindos is totally geared up for tourists, the top car park is full of coaches each day , there is a FREE bus but walking down the hill is fine and you can catch the free bus back up.
The town is FULL of tourists but there is a very nice picture shop close to the entrance to the town, do go up the Acropolis, a €6 entrance fee but wonderful views, a donkey up there is €5 per person if you must but it is not that difficult.
Plenty of restaurants but none I would recomment except Marias.
Hotel charged €45 for us to keep our room up to midnight on the departure day which was 00.45 the next morning but you do get your evening meal.
Pool manager was fine about our daughter and our son joining us on the poolside when we wanted, we just asked, at the hotel down the road they charged us €4 per person to use the relaxers. I have to say though that the hotel was nearly desserted as we were there up to the 14th October and it closes for the winter on 2 Nov, it was similar in the restaurants which were largely empty.
The hotel was built 30 yrs ago and starting to show its age, and yes the small lifts could be a hinderence when it is busy.
The entertainment each night was not wonderful but you could hear it well from your balcony, DO get a room with a sea view, it is stunning. Air con and safe are included.
It is NOT geared up for children and yes most tables are only set for two. The waiters are very attentive and very pleasant.
Many dishes on the self service are not marked so it was a bit of a problem for my vegetarian wife but if you take your time you could feast every night there, soup, self selected starters, main courses and sweets and/or self served ice cream. We put on a total half a stone between us on this holiday and we were trying to limit our intake.
Local wine is poor, we are spoilt as we live in France.
There is a spa which we did not use, nor did we try the A La Carte restaurant after others comments.
There were three computers in a secluded area of reception, €2 per half hour, perfectly adequate for checking e-mails etc

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jim H
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2009

We experienced consistantly good service from helpful, friendly, happy staff.

Rooms are recently refurbished, modern in style and spotlessly clean. I would recommend paying a little extra for a sea view, it's incomparable to the 'mountain view' rooms on the other side. The hotel is situated right on the beach, so the sea view rooms have uninteruppted views of the bay (and gorgeous sunrise if you're up early enough). Rooms are spacious, beds are firm and comfortable, balconies large, and showers hot and powerful.

All the hotel is very clean, they employ an absolute army of cleaners who dust, scrub and polish literally every surface, every day.

Hotel pool is good, large enough to swim lengths in, and plenty of space with loungers around to sunbathe.

The hotel do ask you to dress for dinner, to avoid shorts/vests in the restaurant, and not to hang towels over the balcony. We thought it was good that the hotel was trying to maintain some decorum.

The location is quiet, this hotel is not in a resort as such, so not a good choice if you want lots to do. My only criticism is that there was nowhere really to wander in the evening. It's a quiet drink at this hotel or one of the few others on this bay or an early night! However, Lindos is closeby, 4km, and taxis are cheap and plentiful, either from the hotel (9 euros) or the main road (5 euros). We found Lindos itself, while beautiful, to be a bit touristy. The bars tend to cater for 'English' tastes (which can be a good or bad thing, depending on your point of view), restaurants tend to all try to encourage you to go in from the street, and the shops seem to all sell the same combination of lovely jewellery/ceramics and tacky souveniers! Nevertheless, Lindos is pretty for a walk and a drink, and the acropolis is definitely worth a visit during daytime (but get there early!) If you like lots of activities or are there longer than a week I would recommend a car hire to see more of the island.

The advantage of the location is that this hotel doesn't attract the sort of crowd who want to drink as much as possible, generally cause as much irritation as possible to everyone else, and make me ashamed to be English. All the guests here are well-mannered and polite!

The beach is beautiful. Although not private (Greek beaches are all public), the hotel supply good quality loungers and umbrellas (no charge), the sea is stunning, clear and calm, and if you're feeling particularly lazy, the hotel also offer a call button on each umbrella, for you to summon drinks and snacks.

My only criticism of the hotel would be the food. We stayed half board, but the included evening meal is buffet style, and in my opinion very average. Having said this, I'm told that for Greece the food was quite good, and I guess it's no different from any other buffet-style fair on offer at similar hotels. An alternative is the hotel's a la carte restaurant, set overlooking the beach. The service here is impeccable, the food pretty good, and it's a lovely setting for a romantic meal. However, it's not particularly cheap (approx 35 euros for two courses, not including wine). If you're staying half board, you do get 12 euros per person allowance towards this cost, but be sure to tell your waiter that up front, as once the food has been ordered, they cannot apply the reduction (I have no idea why!). The lunchtime snack bar is also very good, and good value at approx 5-10 euros for a pasta/risotto/pizza/kebab etc.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel to couples who want sunshine and relaxation in a comfortable hotel and nice setting.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WeeZane
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2009

I was very impressed with the hotel, we had a sea view room which was spotlessly clean and came with complimentary drinks and fruit. I also thought the dressing gowns in the hotel were a nice touch especially to wear if you fancied an early morning swim.

I personally found the location was a bit too far out of Lindos and the taxi's did add up albeit there was a bus service through the day but if you were content to spend your time at the hotel the facilities were fantastic, decent sized pool and a small indoor pool with decking area outside. The hotel is right on the beach which was kept immaculate.

On the food front I thought they had a decent choice but my partner did struggle as he is vegetarian and it was a bit uninspired on the vegetarian front, so we did swap the evening meal for a lunchtime meal a few times and ate out in Lindos.

The Spa was a pleasure to visit and all in all this was a very relaxing holiday.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Oxford
Reviewed 13 September 2009

My wife and I have just returned from the Lindos Bay Hotel after two weeks stay, and thought the hotel was fantastic and excellent value for money. The hotel was spotless and the staff all very friendly.
The hotel was everything the brochure said it would be, and more. The rooms are lovely, spacious and comfortable with the added bonus of fridge, air-con and safe free of charge. I advise that you book a sea view, the small extra cost is well worth it.
I unfortunately was taken ill and hospitalised whilst out there and the staff where up to the challenge with lots of help and understanding. My wife was overwhelmed with the kindness of all in a very difficult situation.
I really couldn't fault the hotel and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
kent
Reviewed 1 September 2009

Well, what can i say, the hotel is in a fantastic location, adult focused which we liked, we
had two older children travelling with us. I would recommend booking a seaview room,
these are spacious and very clean, a nice touch was the fruit and wine and fridge which
was complimentary. The hotel was on a half board basis, and if you wanted to swap your evening meal for lunch you could, the food was high quality and the service was
excellent we had no problems getting a table and the staff were very attentive when ordering drinks. The drinks were reasonably priced for a hotel and service always came with a smile especially michael and maria at the pool bar. One night we went to the a la
carte restaurant and food and service was excellent, I would recommending treating yourselves and experiencing the restaurant. We also used the spa facilities and my son used the gym. My husband and I had massages which were very relaxing and just added to the whole holiday experience. At the end of the day you pay for what you get, and what we got was a brilliant holiday and the managers spyros and christos were fantastic and gave us a really warm welcome. I would definately recommend this hotel to my customers and have already booked some for next year. Hopefully I can return in the near future, in fact i did not want to come home!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family