“Lovely Lindos”
Review of Lindos

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
york
9 helpful votes
“Lovely Lindos”
Reviewed 8 September 2009

We have stayed in Lindos, Rhodes, twice this year & we absolutely love it! Any one wanting a taste of "old greece" will not be dissapointed in Lindos. Narrow winding streets, no traffic & friendly locals! Beware of the supermarkets in the village as they are very expensive, a pack of 4 Birds Eye beefburgers with £1.39 printed on the pack was in fact 5.75 euros & a loaf of bread was 3.10 euros. Stayed in the Kiriaki Apartments at the top of the village near Lindos Reception. We were lucky enough to have the same room on both occasions, room 1. The rooms are basic 1*, furnished in typical Greek style but comfortable enough. However, another couple were staying in room 6 which just didnt measure up to the standard of the other rooms. It was dark, dingy & airless. Where the other rooms had front & back doors this room had only one door that opened onto the only patio I have ever seen in Greece that stayed in the shade all day! We are planning on returning to Lindos in May but we are not going to risk staying at the Kiriaki just in case we end up in room 6.

Warwickshire
34 helpful votes
“Tsambika Villa, Lindos, Rhodes”
Reviewed 7 September 2009

I have stayed in Lindos on several occasions and really loved it. I am prepared for the noise and even the basic standards in the accommodation (although Lindos Gardens a couple of years ago was fantastic and in no way "basic") but this year felt compelled to complain to Olympic after staying in these apartments. The following is a copy of my letter to them...

Hi. I have recently returned from a much-longed for and much-needed week away with my daughter and her friend. We booked seven nights to stay at Tsambika Villa in Lindos Rhodes. We have been to Lindos on several occasions and even once stayed at Tsambika Villa before it was divided into apartments.

So, trusting your star rating and assuming that 2* would be adequate, we were really looking forward to the "comfortable accommodation... One bedroom apartments (2/4 persons) with twin beds, shower, kitchen with oven...” etc.

It was therefore a real disappointment (the first of several) that after arriving at 4.30am on the morning of Thursday 27th August to realise that we were not going to be able to sleep with the dreadfully shabby, torn curtains that seemed to fail on two levels: letting light in and retaining heat. This disappointment was exacerbated by the discovery that a nice relaxing shower was not going to be an option for the week's duration either: the shower attachment itself could not, nor I suspect ever has been able to attach on the fitting and the broken shower curtain rail was somewhat perilously suspended from the ceiling by a piece of old twisted wire requiring us to balance the shower whilst ensuring that the curtain was kept out of the way so as not to bring down the entire rail.

We had booked self-catering as I'm sure many people do, wishing to be able to save some money and do what it says in the brochure - "self-cater". This however, would I think you will agree, be impossible in a "kitchen" that has one kettle and a two-hob cooker that share an open and unfitted electric socket that dangles from the wall. There was certainly no oven in sight. Able only to make tea and coffee turned out to be a blessing because due to a lack of hot water and sink plug in this kitchen, we were unable to successfully wash anything up!

I did mention these problems to our rep at the welcome meeting who rather dismissed this as being "just the Greek way" and agreed that Tsambika Villa was indeed a little basic.

As the week continued, we then experienced other problems including an infestation of ants that crawled throughout the apartment, biting all of us as we slept in bed, but congregating on the bathroom wastebin (deeply unpleasant at the best of times) and the fact that the already broken pull on the toilet flush broke completely meant that we were having to stand on the toilet seat in order to reach above the cistern to flush, meant not only a level of discomfort but surely insanitary conditions that I am convinced contributed directly to all our party suffering from a terrible sickness bug for the final three days of our stay.

As I was on my own, it was not until the final day that I could leave the apartment and, with the Olympic rep being on airport transfer duty, was able to enlist the assistance of the local travel agent in renting an air-conditioned room for us to try and recuperate in before flying back early the next morning.

I appreciate that Lindos can be hot and noisy, especially in August but I do not believe that, having paid nearly £900 for our party to stay at Tsambika Villa, we should be subject to paper-thin walls that involve us in all the coughs, sneezes (and worse!) of our neighbours’ and that, with temperatures that never went below 25’ C, we should be expected to pay extra for air conditioning.

I have been to Greece, and indeed stayed in Lindos, many times before and so am used to the slightly "rustic" element involved in the self-catering apartments but all the above meant that our experience at Tsambika Villa has undoubtedly gone beyond this and reached into the realms of shabby, woefully inadequate and insanitary – I even have photographs to back this up.

I feel very strongly that your literature should reflect this experience, that the term self-catering not be applied but be replaced with a wording along the lines of “budget accommodation with tea/coffee making facilities” and that because of the exceptionally high temperatures experienced in July and August, potential customers be made fully aware that air-con is not included in the price and give advance warning of just how much extra this will incur once there.

I very much look forward to hearing your comments about this...

... So, don't be put off staying in Lindos - it really is one of the most execptionally beautiful places - but do be aware that unless drastically refurbished, Tsambika Villa can be hard on the sensibilities and will not necessarily provide the budget accommodation you're looking for once you've factored in the added cost of eating out and air conditioning.

4 Thank NJS_01
cramlington
23 helpful votes
“lindos holiday to remember”
Reviewed 3 September 2009

My Husband and i go to Lindos every year.
Its quiet if you want quiet but if you would like loud it is that too. We stayed in a little Apostolas studios. It is very basic but we only sleep there. It is a bit of a hillside climb with 164 steps but well worth the climb for the view.
The Beach is soft sand The water is calm warm and shallow or I would not go in it.
There is a taxi rank in the main square as there are no cars in the village at all. the Taxis have a set rate for you location and it is on a large board in the square.
The restuarants have a wonderful friendly family feel so we can never make are mind up which one to go to, But you must try the chinese restaurant it has the best food. When you get back home nothing compares to that taste.
At night you can go into the village square and kick off your shoes or you can stay in your resort and watch the world go by.

We tried a different place last year and it was nothing to Lindos so we are going back next year.

1 Thank Heather s

Staffordshire
4 helpful votes
“We'll be back!”
Reviewed 7 August 2009

We originally visited Lindos in May 2007 after booking a last minute holiday. We knew nothing of the resort apart from the fact that we would get some much required sunshine!

We stayed at the Marietta Apartments which were clean, very basic but centrally situated. Our neighbours were a lovely, older, Scottish couple who reccommended many bars and restaurants, all of which were fantastic. Word of mouth is by far the best way to experience the best of Lindos, especially if your neighbours have been visitors to the village over 30 times! We were told that if you go to Lindos, you will go back. We did. My partner proposed to me at the foot of the steps of St Paul's chapel two years ago, and we did indeed return in July of this year to get married at the chapel, joined by 23 of our close friends and family.

This year, we stayed at Kyriakos apartments, pretty much as close as you can get to the beautiful beach at St Paul's Bay. The apartments were clean, well maintained, great value and again, close to the village centre and beaches so we were more than happy with our choice of accommodation. We were located right opposite the ancient amphitheatre where the local kids congregated each night after 7pm to play football till late at night. This wasn't a problem for us, I have four children, two of which are sports mad and joined the local children for a kickabout.

We had already chosen our venue for the wedding reception 2 years previously and Dee at the Lindian House Bar was fantastic in helping with all the paperwork and preparations. We could not have chosen a better place, it's a family run business who will ensure that your day runs perfectly. The staff were amazing, the barbeque by Nikos, Dee's Greek husband, was to die for and everyone went home with a smile on their face.

Our holiday this year was a totally different experience to that of two years ago when just my partner and I visited Lindos. That was a beautiful, relaxing experience. When we returned this year with my four children and various other members of both of our families, I expected more of a hectic time. However, the local Greek restauranteurs, bar owners and shopkeepers are so very patient with children it was more laid back than expected!

Lindos is a little gem of a place with its winding. whitewashed passageways, gift shops and bars. There is truly something for everone here, a quiet chilled out night can be found at the Captain's House Bar (our favourite) and a rowdy, funfilled night can be found at the Sixties Bar, where each time the bell rings, alcohol is poured down the entire length of the bar and set alight! Dionysos provided us with beautiful food, Kalypso was a great restaurant to take the kids to, the waiters were very patient in teaching the kids a few basic words in Greek and the food was fab value for money. Agostinos is the only place to go if you want Kleftiko. We went three times for the same food and that still wasn't enough!

If you have done your homework then you will be aware that there is no transport allowed through the village. Not a problem if you are able to walk without problems, though you may find a short wait for your luggage, which is delivered by motorcycle with trailer. I would not recommend this resort for anyone with anyone with mobility difficulties. There can be quite a climb to some places in the village and if you don't know where the accommdation you have booked is located, it can be a bit of a lottery. My in-laws had a climb of 63 steps to their apartment when they visited a few years previously!

There is a tourist information office located in the main square where the taxi rank is located which is most helpful, but you are more likely to get the best information by asking other holidaymakers or local business owners who will be more than happy to assist you with any problems you might have.

There are cashpoints and Beaureux de Change available till around 11pm each night. These will often offer information about local excursions and car hire. I have to say, we enjoy being in Lindos so much that we have yet to pay extra to leave if for a day!

To conclude, as I stated earlier, we were once told that if you ever visit Lindos, you will return. Not only will we return next year for our third visit, we are told that many of the friends and family that accompanied us for our wedding also intend to return someday. What more can I say?!

1 Thank nickypettit

Been to Lindos? Share your experiences!