We arrived at Castel Bigozzi in mid October and were enchanted. This is a very old former castle from 1260+ and located on top of a hill.
We found several very quiet hotels on our Italy trip, but this was by far the most quiet and the most beautiful place. Very romantic.
Our room had blue wooden indoors shutters which made the room and the luxurious bathroom totally dark, so we were able to sleep longer in the morning.
The bathroom had a shower with wooden planks which I've never seen before, you cannot slip and fall.
The only negative thing (but I will rate this hotel 5 stars nevertheless) was my bed (twin beds) where the part that was supposed to carry my mattress did rest on the bed frame. Fortunately my husband discovered the next morning what was wrong with the mattress and just pushed it back into position and away from the bed frame. The next night I slept much better!
This is a very quiet hotel. Even though there were other hotel guests, we never heard any noise at night and assume that the walls of the room must be very thick. A big plus!
When we arrived there was still enough light to take lots of pics from all sides of the hotel, the olive trees, the vineyard next to the swimming pool and the surrounding hills.
BTW this is the kind of swimming pool where you have a great view of the valley and the surrounding hills some of which have a mansion on top of it.
The all you can eat breakfast buffet is in an adjacent building and offered a lot of delicious things like pain au chocolat, croissants, yogurt, exotic fruit and regular fruit etc.
On the morning when we finally left (we would have enjoyed staying a few more days!) there was some morning fog. So we went to the swimming pool and noticed that a few hill tops were not covered by fog which was an unforgettable view.
If we ever visit Italy again, this hotel will be a must. We recommended it to our friends and relatives.
It's only 10 to 15 minutes to the old walled village of Monteriggioni. Siena is not much further. BTW Siena has a public parking where you can take several escalators high up to the old part of town, so you don't need to walk uphill.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Castel Bigozzi, one of the oldest and embattled castles of this area, rises in the land of Strove.In the Middle Ages this castle belonged to the ancestors of the ancient noble Montanini Family. Its coats of arms well relates its history: a red shield, like the earth that surrounds it, a black lion, symbol of courage and battles, glory and defeat .Historical chronicles in fact report that it was a place of refuge and protection for Ghibelline troops. Today, Castel Bigozzi is a hotel residence, offering hospitality to guests from the four corners of the world.A place of antique charm, immersed in the stillness of the Tuscan countryside, where you will feel enveloped by the warmth of the hospitable environment and by the richness of a land that speaks the language of Art, History, Nature and Traditions. An ideal place to find peace and to spend a totally relaxing holiday, in a land that never fails to surprise all year around.To Nature lovers this area offers many pathways for outings on foot, mountain bike or on horseback, following trails of bygone days, bringing the wanderer to breath-taking landscapes like the famous "Crete" of Siena (the Senese Clavey Hills), the Chianti, or one of the many thermal springs of the area ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Relais Castel Bigozzi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Relais Castel Bigozzi Hotel Monteriggioni
- Castel Bigozzi
- Relais Castel Bigozzi Monteriggioni, Italy - Tuscany