“Great location, friendly staff”
Review of Hotel Alexander

Hotel Alexander
Ranked #18 of 42 Hotels in Limone sul Garda
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Arrived at hotel on a Newmarket Holidays package. First impressions what an attractive hotel (we didn't fancy many of the others at which our fellow travelers were dropped off at).
As we were early rooms weren't ready but given access to Wellness Centre to freshen up and change. Also 20% discount voucher for lunch.
Relaxed at poolside until room ready.
Room was v large and well equipped. Ok AC was only on evenings and mornings - but that was the only time we were there and I don't like AC all night. Room had fridge (not mini bar) so could cool whatever we wanted to drink on balcony or outside the room (we had poolside room- allocated not chosen).
Staff were always very helpful with advice or directions - even charged my iPod as i had left my USB plug at home.
Meals; breakfast was OK, we were on half board and found the evening menu unimaginative. Meals from the 'Al Pirata' menu were fine - mainly pizza and pasta.
Hotel was well located a short walk from the centre of town and lakeside.
Would go again and recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Kiltkicker

Reviewed 8 July 2012

We took a Superior Double room for 5 nights towards the end of June.
Hotel is in a pretty good location, an easy 5 or 6 minute stroll down a gentle hill into the nice little lakeside village of Limone.
Room was a good size (effectively junior suite), with a decent balcony and a partial lake view.
Bit strange to have the shower and wash basin in the room, rather than in a separate bathroom (there was no bath), but it worked OK. Decent underground parking.
Main problem when we arrived after a 3 hour car journey in 35C heat was that the room's air-con wasn't functioning. I went straight down to Reception to report it, and was told that the air-con was controlled centrally and only came on at certain hours (which turned out to be 06.00-08.00 and 17.00-23.00). When I stated that this was ridiculous for what claimed to be a 4* hotel, I was told that it was management policy and they could do nothing about it. I said that I wanted to take the matter up with management, and that I would return later.
When I did return, I was told that Management weren't available, but that the hotel would send someone up to the room to fix it so that I could control the a/c. This of course didn't happen.
I checked the booking confirmation and, indeed, did see that in the small print it states that "heating is available between November and March; air conditioning in July and August". However 1) who reads such small print? (even I don't do that) and 2) what sort of customer relationship and care policy is it that states "you can have a/c or heating when the Management dictates rather than when you (the paying customer) needs it"?
Having woken at 04.00 in almost unbearable heat (to have opened the balcony sliding door would have been neither secure nor acceptable), I complained vociferously again in the morning and several times during the day. I was eventually provided with an electric fan to ameliorate the problem, but my repeated requests to speak to someone from the Management were never met, and nor did anyone from Management make any attempt to contact me during our 5 night stay at the hotel.
Other less serious (but nonetheless material) complaints for somewhere purporting to be a 4* hotel included :- check-out time 10.00; poor breakfasts with real cheap red orange juice, no cut fruit, cheap cereals and expresso/cappuccino at extra charge; no bath robes; no razor point in bathroom (in fact, no bathroom!); and no wifi available in the room (though it was free in the hotel lounge).
Limone was lovely, and we had a great time, visiting Malcesine (and venturing up to Mt. Borgo), Trento (great place for a visit), Riva del Garda, Lago di Ledro, and stopping off at Sirmione on our way into Verona. Our couple of hours with Francesco on Garda Yachting's 42' yacht was my highlight.
However, I cannot possibly recommend a hotel which claims to be 4* yet completely ignores the comfort of it's guests, nor anywhere else owned by a group (Chincherini Holidays) which is clearly only concerned with penny-pinching and ignores the needs of its customers, and fails to even acknowledge or respond when a guest is clearly dissatisfied with the level of service provided.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel i.e. one where you can have air conditioning or heating when you (the customer...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Papa_Polo
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I decided to book this hotel due to the many good reviews for this hotel on Tripadvisor – I honestly think I must have stayed at a different place! No air conditioning even though they advertise they have it – apparently they don’t turn it on until the middle of June – absolutely ridiculous! Therefore the room was like a furnace at night, the main thing you want to do in a hotel room is sleep and we couldn’t due to the extreme temperatures.
Whatever you do, DO NOT eat in Al Pirata unless you are Italian! The staff were rude and couldn’t be bothered to serve us, I had to get our own salt pepper etc from nearby tables even though Italian couples around us who arrived after us got a basket full of bread, olive oil etc & served before us. If you are sensible eat in one of the many better restaurants in the town. Also we were never offered the 20% discount for being hotel guests.
The hotel has a great spa – not that you would know as no one told us anything about it, we found it but had no idea how to get to the pool side from there.
Due to a new hotel being built you can not see the lake from the rooms, if you have difficulty walking the location of the hotel is not recomended as 10 min walk from main town up a hill.
The day we checked out it was pouring with rain, a true 4 star hotel would have given us a transfer to the port in town – as other 4 star and above hotels did in the area. They could offer this service for minimal cost but would make a huge difference as it is quite a walk with suitcases in the rain!
Overall if you haven’t already booked this hotel don’t – find a better one. If you have already booked lower your expectations and you may not be as disappointed as we were.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jenna131
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Arrived at the hotel late in the evening and was welcomed by the extremely professional staff, we explained we needed a meal and were pointed in the direction of the "Al Pirata" restaurant, attached to the hotel, along with a card giving a 20% discount for hotel guests. The restaurant provided good food at reasonable prices and was also used for the buffet breakfast. Our Room was very clean and gave a view of the pool and the mountains. The hotels location gives quick access to the large public beach, and the resort centre is only 2 minutes walk away. The location means you have a quiet place to sleep without the noise of the main resort. The staff were always very helpful and quick to provide assistance. The quality of the room and service made our stay very pleasant and I would love to visit again.

Room Tip: If you want to see the lake ask for a room on the first or second floor.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank peter h
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Beautiful up to date hotel with amenities such as gym sauna whirlpool
Very helpful staff - I found the staff happy always wanting to to do something for you
We had a beautiful spacious room with balcony facing the lake
When you book be sure to ask for the room with balcony situated closest to the lake - there is a new hotel being built and I'm sure it will obstruct the view of some rooms

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nanoutad
Reviewed 13 October 2011

I didn't stay at this hotel but I wish I had. It is in a great location, overlooking the lake and just down a small hill is the town of Limone where all the shops and restaurants are. Most rooms appear to have a lake view, this is one of the nicest hotels in Limone.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank lv2traveler11
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I have just returned from week's stay at this hotel , my impressions of it are mixed . On the plus side it is spotlessly clean and the rooms are very comfortable and well appointed .
The vegetarian food on offer is dire - supposedly there is a vegetarian menu , but it is woefully inadequate and it is hit or miss in quality ,if provided as ordered ! If you don't want 57 variations of cheese , then forget it ....In spite of asking for information on the contents of mixed salad dishes on the salad bar , I got no reliable answer - an issue for those with allergies as well as vegetarians I imagine . An early start required a breakfast bag , in spite of requesting a vegetarian content my bag contained two ham rolls ......

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple