“Don't be flattered by all the glowing reviews until you've read mine.”

Leonardo Da Vinci Hotel
Ranked #8 of 42 Hotels in Limone sul Garda
Reviewed 22 June 2010

We paid £1.5k for the week as a couple and their baby daughter.

The staff are pleasant enough but their reception to each new arrival of buses or people is varied. Some getting a 'Champagne' welcome others just being hustled in to the reception area. The staff appear to become less friendly as the week goes by for all, as though they are tired of the pretense, still amicable enough though.

The restaurant is drab and the food is just about edible if you are hungy, it is plentiful though. Breakfast is continental, fry-ups are ok if you can find the good bits amongst the bad bits. Lunch is served by the pool and always includes pastas together with either a hotdog or burger, again not very good ingredients. Chips are nice though. Evening meals are ok, just ok mind.

The swimming pools are clean and the one with the slide proves very popular. I would say that this pool and the childrens play facilities located nearby are at the top of the resort and this makes it hard with children. It will do your fitness a world of good pushing prams and carrying young ones up the steep incline.

The beech is nice enough.
The lager is more than drinkable.

The resort appears very popular with Germans (2 out of every 3 cars on the road are German) so it is catering more for this market. In summary Lake Garda is Germanys best kept secret and it is probably best kept that way.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank WestMidlandsDavidM1

Reviewed 19 June 2010

We stayed at this hotel from 5th - 12th June 2010. We had a fantastic time, the food was great and we enjoyed the self service bar.
We had a superior room and emailed the hotel before our arrival as I read that the hotel was on a hill and myself and husband have health issues.
On arrival Anna in reception greeted me and said that she had managed to get us a room in the main hotel as requested. Our room was very comfortable (lake view) with sweets and water left for our arrival and tea and coffee making facilities. We had bathrobes, you have a safe (you need to pay 30euros deposit for the key but get that back when you return the key). I also asked reception for a hair dryer as this was not in the room and they gave me one free and asked me to return it when I left. The bus runs every hour apart from lunchtime to Limone and this is free of charge. It is quite a walk to Limone but a nice walk. Tthere was always something to eat in the restaurant and the pasta was great. If you want you can opt for al a carte and be served your meal but beware its Italian and 6 courses so you will be full if you manage all the courses. The bar is open from 10am until 11pm and you can get brandy, whiskey, gin, vodka, white rum, grappa, amaretto and martini from the optics. Lager from the pump and there are different wines, tonic, cola, orange and water. All in all I cannot understand how anyone could complain about this hotel. Would I come again? Yes, without a doubt.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank minty1011
Reviewed 16 June 2010

we stayed a week at hotel and could not fault anything the staff were really friendly and nothing was a problem. the meals were very good and they catered for everyone we liked the idea of the self service bar. we would definetly go back to this hotel.

Stayed: June 2010
1  Thank alison075
Reviewed 8 June 2010

We stayed here for a week over the Spring bank holiday. I had read a great deal about the hotel and felt I knew what to expect. We booked a superior room and were accomodated in Block 5, but overlooking the mountains and lake with some peaceful gardens below. We only had the sun a little in the morning, but we both prefer to have a cool balcony and the peace and quiet was brilliant.

The room and bathroom were very spacious and clean. The fridge is a bonus. The water here is drinkable so we refilled our bottles from the taps, though I did see people fill bottles from the water in the bars and there was never any complaints from staff.

The food was very good overall. My only disappointment was the lack of fresh fruit except apples at breakfast, but even more so there was no croissants/danishes. I usually had the cereals, but again the milk was slightly warm! Other than this minor complaint, the dinners were varied and the pasta and choice of salads were excellent. We stayed for lunch 50% of the time as we were out on some days. I enjoyed the salad at lunch again which I thought was perfectly ample. Most of the other food served at lunch seemed more child orientated, which is understandable given the amount of families in the hotel.

As mentioned by a previous reviewer, the animation team are really friendly and welcoming. Daniel from Slovakia is lovely - We did the archery one morning and he greated us by name always after that, though Doug my husband always seems to become Dog which I think I might start using for him myself!

If you want peace and quiet the beach area is highly recommended. The size of this area really surprised me. The bar was just opening as our holiday ended, but I believe this is privately run. One morning we spent by the lakeside was very windy and it was like sitting by the sea.

The walk into Limone is very pleasant. I expect in the heat of high season it would be hard work. Limone is a quiet resort, but for a change of scenery Malcesine is only a short ferry away, and has a nice castle and a few more shops on offer. The prices in the shops were also cheaper here for pasta etc .

We have visited Limone twice staying at the Hotel Splendid on the first occasion. I would recommend both hotels, but if you are going with children the all-inclusive deal here is the best option. Also there is more entertainment and good pool areas for kids to enjoy. Lake Garda is a beautiful place and I'm sure we will return.

1  Thank TriciaBishop
Reviewed 7 June 2010

I really couldn't fault this place and reckon Limone has to be one of the best, most scenic spots to base yourself on the lake

- Stayed for four nights in May
- Very helpful friendly staff
- Perfect idyllic location a pleasant longish stroll from the lovely town of Limone along an olive-lined path
- Nice clean scenic 'beach' area with a funky beach bar in the evenings
- We got a large room (with two shower rooms) in block 6000, well away from the main building and very quiet
- Indoor and outdoor pools both nice and do the job
- Enjoyed the "table service" 6 course dinner menu each evening at no extra charge (just book the day before at reception as often as you like)
- Sure it's all a bit 80s in places and it doesn't have any pretensions but it's all perfectly pleasant and the serve yourself bar is open all day and evening!

I'd highly recommend it for anyone wanting a scenic base with everything thrown in for a reasonable price and will be back next year...

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank deeboy
Reviewed 5 June 2010

We stayed between 8th & 22nd May 2010. We had booked a superior room and were put in block 5 with fantastic views of both the main pool and the lake (would recommend requesting this block with a pool view when booking as these rooms have the sun from mid morning until it goes down, other rooms only have the sun the in morning).

There are safe deposit boxes in your room but cost €30 refundable deposit (safes for standard rooms are in reception and cost €50 refundable deposit). Don't worry if you forget toiletries as these are re-stocked by the cleaners daily. On arrival there was a bottle of water the in the room but this is not replaced once gone (tea & coffee etc are re-stocked).

Be aware if you go low season like us, some of the facilities are not open, ie the pool bar restaurant, no animation team entertaining the kids or evening shows. (they did have solo artists in the bar).

The front of the hotel, where you could sit for the evening and food, is overlooking the main road, so its a bit noisy (but great if you like car spotting, Ferraries, porsches, etc). But dont worry the pool areas are set back, you can't see the road and its quieter.

If your expecting Grandure and an Idilic setting its not for you, but the views are amazing, the service and staff are excellent, If you love Italy...go!

Ditto with other reviewers comments on the food. The evening meal is brilliant with loads of choice but its not authentic Italian.

There are fixed times for food, but if you are doing an early trip, or returning late from a trip just tell reception and they will stay open for you. (packed lunches are also available).
Men have to wear long trousers for the evening meal.
Breakfast is served 8.30 till 10 am
Lunch 12.30 till 2 pm
Evening meal 6.15 till 8.30pm.

There are pay phones (card or cash) right outside the hotel entrance.

The walk into Limone is fairly flat (head up to the right of the hotel and past the hotel Mercedes). Once you've crossed the road, take the steps next to the astro turfed footbridge over the stream which will take you along the pebbled beach (its quicker and cuts out a steep windy road)

The prices for drinks and snacks were not as bad as we thought (ie ice creams from €1 , bottles of wine from about €7).There are a couple of cash machines and a tabacconist in Limone. If you want tobacco/ cigs buy them here as you can't buy any in the airport.
Beware the public toilets are all holes in the floor (use the ones in bars/restaurants or ferries/boats).

Its easy to get arround the lake but the ferry prices are not cheap (ie €25 each return to Garda). Try to get at the front of queues as once the ferries are full you have wait for the next. We would recommend the Lake tour with the rep as its really informative and works out cheaper than the ferries to visit more on the south of the lake (Lazise and Sirmione are defintely worth a visit).

We also went on the organised tour to Venice, which was stunning but very hot, expensive and crowded. In high season we would recommend the evening trip there.

Lake Garda is beautiful, everywhere we went is stunning. We would recommend the hotel for a two week stay, but the extra cost for the all inclusive package isn't worth paying for a week unless you get a really good deal. We would stay in limone again but probably not at this hotel.

Reviewed 1 June 2010

what are people complaining about! So what if there is a tile missing or a crack in the ceiling...how sad is it that people use things like this to judge a hotel! This is a lovely hotel with lovely rooms, pools and staff and good food and spotlessly clean - isnt that what makes a holiday... I have stayed at many 5* hotels so I went here with an open mind here. I was NOT disappointed. So what if my ceiling had a crack on it! Here's my summary;

Pool - cold but that was due to the sun not having been around long enough to warm it up. I am a wimp with cold pools but even I got in and swam - a case of once you are in and moving its fine (inside one was warmer). All 3 were extremely clean and all well presented - so ticks the box for me.

Rooms - I had 2 single beds (which could be pushed together), a sofa bed, 2 bathrooms (with plenty of towels for a change), 2 patios, pool towels, lots of storgage (including 30 hangers), a tv and fridge. Does anyone need anything else... you aren't there to sit in the room all day/night afterall. The rooms are kept spotlessly clean by the daily maid. We did not need the aircon on despite it being 80+ everyday we were there but bear in mind it does not get switched on until June (and that is a government stipulation not the hotels choice).

Food - now this is important to me as I contracted E-coli and dysentry from a 5* hotel. Now to say I am now extremely cautious is an understatement but I am also very fussy. I did not struggle ONCE with an evening meal here. We only paid £20 more to stay here all inc. compared to a half board in another resort so we decided if we ate out for lunch a few times it was still worth it. All meals are buffet/self service. Evening meals were salads, rolls, 2 pasta dishes, childrens pasta corner, 2 prepared meat dishes (eg beef in a sauce, chicken, pork loins), a potato/rice dish, fish dish, one freshly carved dish and 3 trays of vegetables. Puddings are fantastic - approx 12 different ones and all devine. There are 6 different ice creams and also cheese, biscuits and yummy fruit. Breakfast - there are boiled and scrambled eggs, bacon and beans - and that is it on the cooked breakfast side. BUT there is also fab breads, yoghurts, fruit, meats, cheeses, cereals etc....so it is more than enough...or do you eat a full fry up everyday at home... Lunch - now this is my only down. There was salad, rolls, cold meat/cheese, one plainish pasta dish and one 'other' (which could be sausages, burgers, fish fingers anything really but it was different every day).... and chips every single day. That got a bit boring I must admit but think about it and you can adapt it...make a cheese roll, or chop the sausage and put it in the pasta...just a bit of imagination and you can deal with it. If thats not enough there are cakes/biscuits and an ice lolly fridge available which you can help yourselves to throughout the day. Drinks are a plus here and will save you a lot of money. Tea/coffee, beer, wines, fizzy, waters and the obvious optics (gin, whiskey, ameretto, brandy, martinis, vodka) etc. Its all you need really. No its not the cocktails 5* type of hotel but it is a great hotel. Oh and can you not mention the fantastic job the restaurant manager does - he is brilliant and yes really does look like Basil Falty! Oh and one more thing one morning there was a powercut at breakfast (meaning no hot drinks/food/toast etc) this was a powercut just like we have here and not a fault of the hotel...so what did he do? He opened the bar to allow access to the coffee machines and set up tables of champage for people and apologised for over 24hours for the inconvenience!

Reception-staff are so warm and helpful and this really made a nice change from the often frosty response you can often receive.

Location-yes it IS hilly - and I mean it! If you have difficulties walking (which I do) then it can be hard going. It is set in the mountains so obviously it will be steep they have done a good job of breaking it up to different levels but it is still short sharp STEEP hills - but I did it in my own time so dont let that put you off to much.

There is a bus service that takes you down to Limone throughout the day and the drivers are lovely and safe (unlike my Thomson return coach trip). Only downside here is it stops at 6ish in the evening but the walk is a nice one (via a road at the rear of the hotel) but again it is steep once you get to the last part of it. If you think about it the town is at the waters edge and the hotel is in the mountains so there are going to be some hills going between the two. I would feel 100% safe walking this and being in Limone as a girl on my own.

Thomson/Crystal reps - are the same people (Thomsons). Katy and Claire are both lovely girls. We didn't book any excersions with them but the feedback was good.

Animation-these guys deserve a special mention. They have to be the friendlist I have ever met! They dont push you to do the usual adult games (ping pong, water polo etc) but they do take the time to say hello, are so friendly and are cheeky/charming. Would thoroughly recommend you watch the water polo - Daniel has a hilarious way of changing the scores throughout the game. They do a fab job of speaking whatever your language is and are genuinely funny and nice (not patronising or pushing) team. I dont have children but have to say they were a hit there too, remembering names, little details and even when they werent officially working would have time for the children.

Limone is a charming resort (with the best fireworks I have ever seen). Malcesine is fab (accessed via the ferry) with fab leather goods, cafes and a cable car (worth doing but dont eat in the restaurant at the top as food is over priced and cold but OK for a drink). Riva is busier but good shopping.

Think that sums up what was a fantastic holiday I have just had in this beautiful place and in a lovely hotel. I never go back to the same place again as too many places in the world to see.... but this is going to be my exception but next time I will go for 2 weeks!

Enjoy!

#1 of 42 in Limone sul Garda
Hotel Lago di Garda
Hotel Lago di Garda
#3 of 33 in Torbole

Been to Leonardo Da Vinci Hotel? Share your experiences!