“Wonderful views at the San Pietro”
Review of Hotel San Pietro

Hotel San Pietro
Ranked #28 of 42 Hotels in Limone sul Garda
Reviewed 21 March 2010

We stayed at the San Pietro in June 2009, booking a room on half board through Thomas Cook, This was not a package with flights and transfers as we found it was a lot cheaper (£465.00), than booking a package or directly through the hotel. Flights to Verona airport were £110.00pp and our friends picked us up from the airport when we arrived. We made our own way via taxi on the return booked directly through the hotel. This was the expensive bit - 145.00euros one way!!!

Onto the review...we arrived at the hotel in the afternoon and were quickly checked in by reception. The only gripe I do have is that they don't offer porterage. This is a very big hotel on several levels, and it is impossible to avoid any steps wherever you are allocated within the hotel. This could prove difficult for the less able-bodied guests. We were given a map and expected to find our own way.

The room was clean and spacious and although we didn't have a lakeside view, the outside space more than made up for it. Our room had a terrace with table and chairs, plus two sunloungers. They proved invaluable as we were able to invite our friends over for drinks in the evenings and even had mini parties with our neighbouring guests too!

Good food is always a must when you book half board and although I agree with some other reviewers that the salads were roughly the same every night, the hotel restaurant provided at least 20 options. Yes, there was always only 1 potato option and 1 hot vegetable option, but there were at least 3 different mains to choose from as well as two pasta and 1 risotto. I agree that you had to be quick with the desserts, but that was because they were really quite good! I must admit the German guests had mealtimes off to a good art and boy, could they pack it away!!

The pool area was really nice, plenty of sunbeds and surprisingly, not many with towels on from the night before!! We didn't use the 'quiet' pool area at the top end of the hotel, preferring instead to be situated at the main pool as it was easier to get drinks etc. Although there is a bar at the top pool, it was not open in June. The main pool area is where they serve 'Afternoon Tea'. As this is the tradition, the hotel served hot drinks and cake and biscuits from 4pm. My recommendation to everyone, is either start queing at 3.30pm (if you can be bothered!), or wait for the German's to finish taking what they want and then go up. The queues were unbelievable - just because it was 'free'. Remember, you have paid for this in your hotel rate!!!

Recommendations
1) Drinks in the hotel bars are expensive - 4.00euros for a 'large' beer which as we all know, is not a pint. Go to the Cristina next door for your drinks. A 'large beer' is only 3.50euros there!!
2) Don't buy your stamps from the hotel reception - they charge an additional 0.50euros for each one.
3) Please be aware - Limone only have 3 licenced taxi drivers in the whole resort. They make their money doing the airport runs (please see previous comment about the price). You have no choice but to walk from the town, up to the hotel after 6.30pm. However, there are plenty of bars to stop at on the way back up to the hotel, so you could break the journey if you so wish.
4) A good tip is to buy your alchol/soft drinks from the local supermarkets in town, which are actually very cheap. If you make friends easily, you can get together and have a cheap 'evening out' on your balcony or terrace.

Overall, this holiday was really enjoyable. Great location (apart from the climb back up in the evening), food was good and the staff were friendly and polite. I think a smile and a hello from guests go along way with them and they will reciprocate. Lake Garda is a beautiful place to visit with lots of towns to explore and boat trips. Malcesine is actually our favourite (we have stayed there before), so our next visit will be there.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 October 2009

The elevated position of this hotel offers an excellent view of the Lake. The disadvantage of this being that there is obviously a hill to climb upon return from the main resort of Limone. The hotel offers a mini bus service with a small charge but the last pick up is 6.30 from Limone. Our room was very spacious and the cleaners did an excellent job. The food was certainly not of 4 star quality with a boring and repetative menu. The salad bar was exactly the same every evening and only one hot vegetable was offered and only one variety of potatoes. If you did not attend dinner bang on 7.00 (We usually like to eat 8.00 ish) then there was a lot missing (to be fair this was due to certain people who were filing their handbags etc once they had eaten enough to feed an army - not british people ! nothing was done about this )
We travelled with First Choice who advised us when we booked our trips that we would not be collected at our hotel but further down the road. This was due to the probems reversing in and out of the hotel. Accceptable apart from the fact that they were the only coach that did not collect from the hotel...everyone else managed.
Overall the hotel has a lot going for it...the pools are excellent and the facilities good. Its a bit maze like and if you have an early morning start going on trips etc they could do with switching the lighting on !!!!
I would go back to the hotel but would hope that they have employed a new and more imaganative chefs by then

Reviewed 2 October 2009

I chose this hotel largely because there was no single supplement and because it had three swimming pools. In addition, the location looked stunning and as I am a keen walker, was not likely to be put off by the prospect of a long steep walk to and from the village. The pools did not disappoint, in particular the topmost one in the 'relax zone', a designated 'silent area', which was big enough to allow for a proper swim. The indoor pool was a real find, again big enough to allow for a proper swim and largely unused which meant I often had it to myself. I did notice that all three pools appeared to be completely unsupervised. This is not perhaps so much of a problem where the outdoor pools are concerned which are only open during daylight hours and where there are always people about, but I did feel that there should have been some sort of monitoring of the indoor pool, whether by a lifeguard or by camera. Not a problem for someone like myself who is a competent swimmer but felt there was a bit of a Health and Safetry issue there. Is this a particularly 'British' thing?
The views were breathtaking. I had one of the 'lower' rooms which nevertheless had a fantastic view of the lake and mountains with the added benefit of a fruiting lemon tree right beside my balcony. Nice room, great size and kept spotless by the chambermaid service. The hotel, like the resort itself, is a bit of a labyrinth, being built over several different levels (what else can you expect half way up a mountain?) and it took me a while before I found my bearings. But again l liked the idea of being able to 'wander' throughout the complex, liked the 'villa' design, and not having to be restricted to the same sunbathing area or pool.
I had asked for B&B option but this was apparently not available through Inghams (although I note from other reviewers that it has been an option with other travel companies). B&B would have suited me much better. The food was OK, breakfast in particular was good with the option to take it on the terrace. However, you did not have this option at dinner (I asked, and was refused), even when the dining room was packed. I agree with other reviewers; most of the dining room staff were offhand at best and keen to get diners out as quickly as possible, which made my evening swim a bit problematic as I preferred to take it before, rather than after, dinner, for obvious reasons. On Thursday I ordered a cold plate instead of dinner, due to a late excursion. When I got back, the staff at reception had forgotten to order it. I asked if they could get me something (basically anything - toast, bar of chocolate) to eat as I was really hungry by this point. The manager claimed that the kitchens were locked up (and he, the manager, doesn't have a key - ?) and that all they could do was give me a voucher for use in the Grill bar the following day. No apology either. In general, with one exception, I found the reception staff a bit 'dozy' largely I suspect due to somewhat eclectic language skills which do not appear to include German, English or indeed Italian. Nevertheless, it is a lovely hotel, in a stunning setting, but don't go for anything more than B&B.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank PussinBoots55
Reviewed 29 September 2009

Been to Limone several times before and would rate this hotel amongst the best. Beautiful views, large spacious rooms and a welcome change to have a kettle in the room. We stayed for bed and breakfast with a view to buying dinner some times in the hotel. BEWARE OF THE "GOURMET MEAL" OPTION!!!! Tasteless tomato and mozarella starter followed ,by passable (but lukewarm) pasta, then cabbage water soup, followed by the toughest beef ever.The four of us returned most of it uneaten and we are not fussy eaters. No one enquired if we enjoyed our meal and it was so ludicrously bad we thought we were on Candid Camera. We don't like to complain but never even got the opportunity.

Breakfasts were fine although the rather grumpy staff seemed to want everyone out before 9.45 and we felt unwelcome if we stayed until 10am. The bar staff were also not very friendly, the barman querying what we had said with a curt "What?" several times.The "Gourmet Meal" put us off dining in the hotel in the evening, but when we had the normal buffet dinner on the last night it was surprisingly good. Overall the hotel was very clean, in a lovely location and the rooms were very nice. Don't go if you also want service with a smile. Disregard the poorly trained staff and you will enjoy it.

1  Thank SusanBYorkshire
Reviewed 21 September 2009

This hotel may be 4 star compared to others in the area but it does not compare well with 4 star standards in the rest of the world. The general air is that no-one cares about the hotel or the guests.

The general decor is outdated and in poor condition, paintwork was crumbling and flaking and the gardens were overgrown. We were there for 2 weeks and never saw anyone clean the communal areas, dirt noticed at the beginning of the holiday was still evident at the end. The rooms were straightened up rather than cleaned properly.

The food in the restaurant was mediocre at best with the menu barely changing over the whole 2 weeks. On some nights the "fresh" fruit was so rotten my fingers sunk into it. The "fresh" fruit salad was left for days to turn brown. Any items that ran out were not replenished. "End of season" was the general excuse for providing poor service yet still charging 4 star price.

The standard of customer service was appalling. Rudeness and disinterest being the order of the day. Breakfast was 7:30 till 9:00 and evening meal 7:00 till 9:00 but whoa betide anyone who ventured into the restaurant with an hour still to go. In the evening the restaurant lights were turned out at 9:00 whether you'd finished or not. The tables cleared and prepared for the next meal with 30-45 minutes still remaining, staff leaning over guests and their food to clear the tables next to them. Reception were unable to offer a laundry service in less than 72 hours and did not have a single iron for guest use. Ice Cream at the pool bar was described as "finished" (No Ice Cream - in Italy?!!) with a possibility of some "next Tuesday" yet remained available in the restaurant every night. A request for cheese on the continental buffet breakfast was met with a disgruntled waving of arms and the cheese finally being thrown onto the buffet.
We were not alone in our opinions (Hi Pat and Sheila!). We spoke to others who had stayed here before who remarked how the hotel had gone drastically downhill. Others, there for the first time like us, were dissappointed that we'd been mis-sold a 4 star hotel and had paid 4 star prices.
It remains to say that the view from the rooms is outstanding however, thankfully. that remains outside the control of the management!

1  Thank BandMBlackpool
Reviewed 18 September 2009

My Husband and I have just returned from a 2 week stay at the San Pietro. Had been looking forward to a relaxing 2 weeks in what had been sold to me as a 4* hotel, unfortunately the hotel did not live up to expectations. Although there was plenty for breakfast if you were not there almost as it opened you struggled to find a seat. When people left their seats the staff were immediately clearing and laying up for dinner - despite people still coming in and you felt in the way asking for a seat. During dinner on a couple of evenings we were told that the only seats available were sitting with other guests. We did do this one evening but felt so uncomfortable that we refused to do it a second time. The staff were indifferent as to what we wanted.

The menu at dinner was, in my opinion, very very poor. In the 2 weeks we were there we had only three choices of vegetables. It would be either carrots, beans or sprouts, and only one dish at that. The same with the potato option, either thin fries, fat chips or boiled, again only one dish. We were offered, during the 2 weeks no more than 5 different choices of main course and you were frowned on if you asked for more than one portion.

The deserts looked good but if you were not quick there was nothing left and they did not replenish them. You were lucky if you managed to get the scrapings of the ice cream and that would be at 8pm. Cheese board gave only 3 different cheeses and no crackers/biscuits. When I asked for some I was told "finished" with no other explanation. I was also given this excuse when I asked for ice cream at the grill bar. This time I went to reception to complain. I was told it was the end of season, despite the hotel being open till the end of October. The other excuses were that it was due to credit crisis........... I stated that I had paid for a 4* service and was not receiving one.

The upper level pool areas were not cleaned once during our stay. The sun beds were filthy and the mattresses needed a good wash or replacing, with half of them having torn covers.

I questioned why the Cristina, being a 3* hotel were offered wine and soft drinks, free, with their evening meal. I had been told by my rep that I could use the facilities at both the Cristina and the Leonardo de Vinchi. I said that I would prefer to eat in the Cristina as I had been told that the food and selection were better. The reception staff told me this was not allowed. They seemed to be completely oblivious to any of my comments and indeed did not even take a note of my room number each time I went in.

It took me 3 days to get a chipped glass in my room changed, despite going into reception each day to request one.

Yes the view from our room was stunning, I would return to Lake Garda but definitely not to the San Pietro. For what was supposedly a 4* hotel the rooms, although large were very dated and would benefit from a refurbishment. The outside corriders were very badly lit at night. We had to leave at 6.15am to get our coach for our return journey and there was absolutely no lighting in the walkways.

2  Thank HayesKent
Reviewed 15 September 2009

Drove to Lake Garda from Verona which took 2 hrs due to excessive traffic.

Reception staff were friendly, were given room 863 which had fantastic views of Lake Garda. Some rooms on the ground floor may have less impressive views, ask for for 1st or 2nd floors. Most rooms are above the garages which can be noisey but it was very useful to have covered parking for the car.

Rooms were very large with nice balconies. Room for two single beds and a sofa bed. Some decor is a bit dated in places, but generally a quiet hotel that appeals to older people.

My one complaint was the attitude of the waiting staff in the restuarant. We made the mistake of getting to the restaurant after 8pm (opens 7-9pm) the food was cold, not replenished and we were rushed out of the dining area. They always seemed to be getting ready for the next meal i.e dinner at breakfast so you were told off if you sat in the wrong place.

The hotel offers a gourmet menu, which you can view at reception and book for the following day. This offered a 6 course non buffet option in the same restaurant. This was a recommended option if you want more relaxed dining.. just don't eat lunch!

The hotel offers a shuttle bus to Limone at 80 cent one way which only runs til 5.30pm otherwise it is a good 20 minute or more walk downhill. Limone itself is very pretty, with pretty shops, bars and promenade, small beach if you fancy a swim in the lake.

For 8 euros you can get a trip to Malcesine, again well worth a visit. If you want to do the cable car it will cost 18 euros per person and queues can be lengthy, advise late afternoon.

A beautiful resort but wouldn't stay at this hotel again.

1  Thank RugbyLass15