We stayed at the San Pietro in June 2009, booking a room on half board through Thomas Cook, This was not a package with flights and transfers as we found it was a lot cheaper (£465.00), than booking a package or directly through the hotel. Flights to Verona airport were £110.00pp and our friends picked us up from the airport when we arrived. We made our own way via taxi on the return booked directly through the hotel. This was the expensive bit - 145.00euros one way!!!
Onto the review...we arrived at the hotel in the afternoon and were quickly checked in by reception. The only gripe I do have is that they don't offer porterage. This is a very big hotel on several levels, and it is impossible to avoid any steps wherever you are allocated within the hotel. This could prove difficult for the less able-bodied guests. We were given a map and expected to find our own way.
The room was clean and spacious and although we didn't have a lakeside view, the outside space more than made up for it. Our room had a terrace with table and chairs, plus two sunloungers. They proved invaluable as we were able to invite our friends over for drinks in the evenings and even had mini parties with our neighbouring guests too!
Good food is always a must when you book half board and although I agree with some other reviewers that the salads were roughly the same every night, the hotel restaurant provided at least 20 options. Yes, there was always only 1 potato option and 1 hot vegetable option, but there were at least 3 different mains to choose from as well as two pasta and 1 risotto. I agree that you had to be quick with the desserts, but that was because they were really quite good! I must admit the German guests had mealtimes off to a good art and boy, could they pack it away!!
The pool area was really nice, plenty of sunbeds and surprisingly, not many with towels on from the night before!! We didn't use the 'quiet' pool area at the top end of the hotel, preferring instead to be situated at the main pool as it was easier to get drinks etc. Although there is a bar at the top pool, it was not open in June. The main pool area is where they serve 'Afternoon Tea'. As this is the tradition, the hotel served hot drinks and cake and biscuits from 4pm. My recommendation to everyone, is either start queing at 3.30pm (if you can be bothered!), or wait for the German's to finish taking what they want and then go up. The queues were unbelievable - just because it was 'free'. Remember, you have paid for this in your hotel rate!!!
1) Drinks in the hotel bars are expensive - 4.00euros for a 'large' beer which as we all know, is not a pint. Go to the Cristina next door for your drinks. A 'large beer' is only 3.50euros there!!
2) Don't buy your stamps from the hotel reception - they charge an additional 0.50euros for each one.
3) Please be aware - Limone only have 3 licenced taxi drivers in the whole resort. They make their money doing the airport runs (please see previous comment about the price). You have no choice but to walk from the town, up to the hotel after 6.30pm. However, there are plenty of bars to stop at on the way back up to the hotel, so you could break the journey if you so wish.
4) A good tip is to buy your alchol/soft drinks from the local supermarkets in town, which are actually very cheap. If you make friends easily, you can get together and have a cheap 'evening out' on your balcony or terrace.
Overall, this holiday was really enjoyable. Great location (apart from the climb back up in the evening), food was good and the staff were friendly and polite. I think a smile and a hello from guests go along way with them and they will reciprocate. Lake Garda is a beautiful place to visit with lots of towns to explore and boat trips. Malcesine is actually our favourite (we have stayed there before), so our next visit will be there.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel San Pietro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- San Pietro Hotel
- San Pietro Limone Sul Garda
- Hotel San Pietro Limone Sul Garda, Lake Garda, Italy